a sister for Ada

We need help!

When we had [name]Ada[/name], we only had her name. Never even considered another. We’re now having another girl in two months and don’t feel the settled feeling we had before. We’d love suggestions. My husband is Ghanaian, so we need something that works with his language and pronunciation. The names in GHana are a mix between having an “English” name and a traditional name. [name]Ada[/name]'s middle name is [name]Yarley[/name] pronounced “yah-lee”. This new baby will have the middle name “yah-ko”. We’ll also throw another middle name in thereThis week I’m loving these names:

[name]Charlotte[/name]: is it too common? I’ve always loved it. We just found out it was my grandfather’s sister’s name, whom i never met. My grandfather is probably one of my most favorite people ever, he died 5 years ago and it would be a way to honor him. I also love the nickname possiblies.

[name]Iris[/name]: Always loved it. A major plus is that my husband loves it too and his deceased father liked the name too.

[name]Matilda[/name]: It feels clunky for this child. I want something prettier. It is my husband’s aunt’s name they call her Aunt [name]Tilly[/name]. Very popular in Ghana.

[name]Louisa[/name]: I love it. I would love to call her [name]Lou[/name] for short. My husband doesn’t really like it.

thanks for all the help!!!

[name]Iris[/name] gets my vote. [name]Lovely[/name]! [name]Love[/name] the name [name]Ada[/name] too.

[name]Ada[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] are perfect together. Good luck!

I love [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name]! But [name]Charlotte[/name] is popular, so if that bothers you, you might want to rethink. If you can live with the popularity factor, go there!

I like [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] too. Very lovely. And you don’t have the same popularity problem.

In fact, I like all your choices! You are the one who doesn’t seem on board with a couple. I like [name]Matilda[/name], but it’s weakness is that it can strike one as clunky. I don’t share that opinion, but I can see it. [name]Louisa[/name] is absolutely lovely.

I think [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] are great together!

P.S. if my baby in the belly is a girl, her name is [name]Iris[/name]. I love the name!

Thanks for all the replies. I do love all our choices except for [name]Matilda[/name]. I like the name on another child, i just don’t feel that this baby is a [name]Matilda[/name].

After hearing your opinions, I am loving [name]Iris[/name] more… thank you!

Definitely [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Iris[/name]!

Congrats on your second daughter. [name]Charlotte[/name], [name]Iris[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Louisa[/name] are all wonderful names and would work well for [name]Ada[/name]'s sibling. I guess you have to eliminate [name]Louisa[/name] if your husband doesn’t care for it (shame!). [name]Matilda[/name] is too clunky for you so that’s out too! Since you and your husband love [name]Iris[/name] that is probably the leading contender on your list, right? Second place would be [name]Charlotte[/name] to honor your grandfather. So [name]Iris[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] “yah-ko” or [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Iris[/name] “yah-ko” are left. Here are some other suggestions. [name]Hope[/name] you like one! Regards, [name]Mischa[/name].

Instead of [name]Charlotte[/name]…[name]Edith[/name], [name]Flora[/name] / [name]Florence[/name], [name]Cecily[/name]/[name]Cecilia[/name]/[name]Celia[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Constance[/name], [name]Cordelia[/name], [name]Catherine[/name], [name]Cassandra[/name], [name]Clementine[/name], [name]Eliza[/name]/[name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Sophie[/name], [name]Celeste[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Beatrix[/name], [name]Sabrina[/name], [name]Simone[/name]

Instead of [name]Iris[/name]…[name]Ivy[/name], [name]Violet[/name], [name]Lily[/name]/[name]Lillian[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Pearl[/name] , [name]Camille[/name], [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Felicity[/name], [name]Harriet[/name]/[name]Henrietta[/name], [name]Briony[/name], [name]Hazel[/name], [name]Olive[/name]/[name]Olivia[/name], [name]Jessamine[/name], [name]Opal[/name], [name]Frances[/name], [name]Diana[/name], [name]Bridget[/name], [name]Josephine[/name], [name]Rose[/name]/[name]Rosamund[/name]/[name]Rosalind[/name]/[name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Julia[/name] / [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Grace[/name], [name]Corinna[/name]

Instead of [name]Matilda[/name]… [name]Mabel[/name], [name]Millicent[/name], [name]Madeleine[/name], [name]Margaret[/name]/[name]Marguerite[/name], [name]Marina[/name], [name]Isabel[/name], [name]Isadora[/name] , [name]Emilia[/name], [name]Victoria[/name], [name]Aurelia[/name], [name]Laetitia[/name], [name]Theodora[/name], [name]Jemima[/name], [name]Susannah[/name], [name]Rebecca[/name], [name]Tabitha[/name], [name]Georgia[/name]/[name]Georgina[/name], [name]Philippa[/name], [name]Eudora[/name], [name]Miranda[/name], [name]Melania[/name], [name]Veronica[/name], [name]Geneva[/name], [name]Mirabel[/name], [name]Mary[/name]/[name]Marian[/name]/[name]Miriam[/name]

Instead of [name]Louisa[/name]… [name]Lucy[/name]/[name]Lucia[/name]/[name]Lucille[/name]/[name]Lucinda[/name], [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Elise[/name], [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Helena[/name]

[name]Ada[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] is perfect! And the fact that your father in-law loved the name as much as you both do makes it even more special. I say definitely go for it!

I used to love the name [name]Ada/name, and I used to want to name my first daughter [name]Adah[/name]!
I think [name]Charlotte[/name] would work with [name]Ada[/name]. They seem to have the same feel to me. I don’t think [name]Charlotte[/name]'s too popular at all, though it is popular, if that doesn’t confuse you. :slight_smile: It’s a classic name on the rise again, and as you said, it’s nickname possibilities are endless.
I’m afraid I don’t like [name]Iris[/name], but that’s just a personal thing. It does sound lovely with [name]Ada[/name], and if you and your husband love it, I say go for it!
Good luck and I hope this helps!

I like [name]Iris[/name] best from your list. Before I read your choices my immediate thought was [name]Ivy[/name] - also 3 letters and similar feel to [name]Ada[/name]. [name]June[/name] is another name that would go nicely with [name]Ada[/name].

You have a great list! Personally, I love [name]Matilda[/name], but it doesn’t sound nearly as nice with [name]Ada[/name] as [name]Iris[/name] does. I’m usually indifferent towards [name]Iris[/name], it’s pretty, but not really for me. However, next to [name]Ada[/name], I have to agree with everyone, [name]Iris[/name] is simply fantastic!!

thanks everyone! i think it will definitely be between [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Iris[/name], but i am really leaning towards [name]Iris[/name] now. [name]Love[/name] all the positive opinions! We never really thought about how the name would work with [name]Ada[/name] specifically, but love all the feedback!

I’ll give another vote for [name]Iris[/name]. It really does sound stunning with sister [name]Ada[/name]. And, that from a mama who has a dd named [name]Matilda[/name] (nn [name]Tilly[/name]). :smiley:

Ok, we are now pretty much settled on [name]Iris[/name]… for this week!! ha!

Any middle names suggestions? she will have the ghanaian middle name in there Yarkor (yahko), i have no say in that, it’s a dated, required tradition. But my first daughter is [name]Ada[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name], before her african name. We are thinking:

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (my name, but also my husband’s aunt’s)
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Bliss[/name] (i really really love the name [name]Bliss[/name]!)
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Aura[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Frances[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Jane[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Ann[/name] (family middle name, and my own)

thank you!

[name]Iris[/name] is beautiful with [name]Ada[/name]! I love [name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], or you could even go with [name]Iris[/name] Annabeth, as a combination of [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Ann[/name].

Here are some other ideas:

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Iris[/name] [name]Maria[/name]

I really like [name]Ada[/name]. It is really pretty. [name]How[/name] about [name]Iris[/name] [name]Lilian[/name] Yarkor or [name]Iris[/name] [name]Renee[/name] Yarkor? I also like [name]Iris[/name] [name]Jane[/name], [name]Iris[/name] [name]Cecilia[/name], [name]Iris[/name] [name]Caroline[/name], and [name]Iris[/name] [name]Ann[/name]. Personally, I think the first middle should be practical, like [name]Kathleen[/name], since Yarkor is so exotic. So, for me, that would eliminate [name]Iris[/name] [name]Bliss[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] [name]Aura[/name].

[name]How[/name] about [name]Iris[/name] [name]Evelyn[/name]? From your list, I’d stay away from [name]Bliss[/name] and [name]Frances[/name] as they sound too rhymey. [name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] sounds nice.

Cast my vote for [name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! 100%!!! Three thumbs up :smiley: I think [name]Ada[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name] & [name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] are BEAUTIFUL together, & meaningful to boot. Congrats on your 2nd!

Thanks everyone! After reading [name]Ada[/name] [name]Kathleen[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] together we are sold :smiley: I love that both of my girls will have my mother’s and my own name together. Very special. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is also a family name on both sides, it is my aunt’s middle name and my grandfather’s sister’s name. So as of now [name]Ada[/name]'s sister is named!!

[name]Iris[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] Yarkor Annan

Thanks Berries!! couldn’t have come to what was right without your help!

xoxo

Oh yay! I was just about to declare my love for [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Iris[/name] as sisters! Congrats on choosing a beautiful name!