A sister for Charlotte

We have a 1 and a half year old named [name]Charlotte[/name]. I have been reading a bunch of the posts on here, and I think you girls have wonderful suggestions. I was hoping you might be able to help me out. I am not too concerned with a middle name-just a first. Here are a few that were on my list…but I would love any suggestions or other ideas you might have!

[name]Bronwyn[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name] (love it, but kind of feel weird with it being my MILs name)
[name]Kit[/name] (I know this doesn’t really ‘go’ with [name]Charlotte[/name], but it was the other name we almost named [name]Charlotte[/name])
[name]Gwen[/name]
[name]Margie[/name] (short of [name]Margaret[/name])
[name]Loraine[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name] (but would probably call her [name]Kate[/name])…and I know [name]Kit[/name] is usually short for [name]Katherine[/name] sometimes too.

Be honest…I’d like to hear your opinions!

I love [name]Charlotte[/name]!

[name]Bronwyn[/name]: I prefer it spelled [name]Bronwen[/name], but it’s a pretty name. It’s not the best with [name]Charlotte[/name], but it’s okay.

[name]Caroline[/name]: I would definitely not name a daughter [name]Caroline[/name] with a sister [name]Charlotte[/name]. They’re the same name-- both come from [name]Carolus[/name]. It’s like naming sisters [name]Elizabeth[/name] and [name]Isabella[/name].

[name]Kit[/name]: It’s kind of close to [name]Charlotte[/name], and as a first name it’s definitely too insubstantial and masculine.

[name]Gwen[/name]: It’s too nicknamey for me, but [name]Gwendolen[/name] or [name]Guinevere[/name] would be nice.

[name]Margie[/name]: I love [name]Margaret[/name], but [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] are too close together.

[name]Loraine[/name]: I’ve only seen it spelled [name]Lorraine[/name]… it seems a little dated to me, but there’s nothing really wrong with it.

[name]Katherine[/name]: This is my favorite from your list. [name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kit[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] are great together!

You might also like:

[name]Margo[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name]
[name]Bridget[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Laurel[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Sylvie[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name]

[name]Charlotte[/name] and sister…
[name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name]
[name]Marguerite[/name]
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Agatha[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Audrey[/name]
[name]Bernadette[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Constance[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Edith[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Geraldine[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Henrietta[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Justine[/name]
[name]Lilah[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

I love [name]Loraine[/name] (although I do prefer [name]Lorraine[/name].) It is totally a name that is ready for a comeback and has so many nn possibilities!

[name]Bronwyn[/name] - I’m kind of indifferent about this name. I don’t love it, but it’s perfectly fine.
[name]Caroline[/name] - I for one don’t mind that [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] are both rooted in [name]Carolus[/name] because they hvae almost nothing in common sound wise. [name]Caroline[/name] is a feminine form of [name]Carolus[/name], and [name]Charlotte[/name] is a feminine for of [name]Charles[/name], which is itself a variation on [name]Carolus[/name]. If that doesn’t bother you then go for it. I think they sound great together. I know siblings names [name]Charles[/name] ([name]Charlie[/name]) and [name]Caroline[/name], so maybe that’s why it doesn’t bother me. [name]Charles[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] on the other hand would be horrible because they are very similar.
[name]Kit[/name] - I prefer it on a boy, but it sounds really masculine and insubstantial next to [name]Charlotte[/name]. If you really want to use it I would make it a nickname for [name]Katherine[/name].
[name]Gwen[/name] - I like [name]Gwen[/name]. It’s not great with [name]Charlotte[/name], but it’s not horrible either.
[name]Margie[/name] - I like [name]Margaret[/name], but [name]Margie[/name] isn’t my favorite nickname for it. I prefer [name]May[/name], [name]Maggie[/name], or even [name]Maisie[/name]. [name]Margaret[/name] and [name]Charlotte[/name] kind of sound matchy because of the -et ending syllable. If [name]Margaret[/name] was always going to be her nickname then it wouldn’t matter much. I thought [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Margaret[/name] were great together til I said them out loud at the same time.
[name]Loraine[/name] - Is this supposed to be [name]Lorraine[/name], or are you set on the one r? I’d prefer it [name]Lorraine[/name] since all the places named [name]Lorraine[/name] are spelled that way. Either way I think it’s vintage and has a really interesting sound. Could really make a come back in a few years. Also it goes really well with [name]Charlotte[/name].
[name]Katherine[/name]/[name]Kate[/name] - [name]Katherine[/name] is wonderful, and [name]Kate[/name] is a great name. Would be a good choice.

I’d say my favorites are [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Lorraine[/name] with [name]Charlotte[/name].

Completely agree with everything @irisrose said, and [name]Katherine[/name] “[name]Kit[/name]” is also my favorite of your options. [name]Charlotte[/name]'s one of my own favorites - my others are [name]Lydia[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], and [name]Beatrix[/name]. Here are more ideas:

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Bryony[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Helena[/name]
[name]Isabel[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Katharine[/name]
[name]Lillian[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Naomi[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Tess/name
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I love [name]Bronwyn[/name] but not too sure if pairs well with [name]Charlotte[/name]? Seems too similar to [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name].
[name]Katherine[/name] nn [name]Kit[/name] is pretty and suits [name]Charlotte[/name].

suggestions with [name]Charlotte[/name]:

[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Annora[/name]
[name]Bethany[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Lily[/name]
[name]Madeleine[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Noella[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Theresa[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

I love [name]Charlotte[/name]! And I love your taste.

I have to disagree with @irisrose & @lemon on one point – I don’t think [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] are too similar, although they obviously are similar. I think they make a nice sib-set.

Question: do you call [name]Charlotte[/name] “[name]Charlotte[/name]” most of the time? Or [name]Charlie[/name] or [name]Lottie[/name] or similar? Your suggestions were a mix of longer name and nickname – depending on what you call your fd most of the time, I’d stick with that pattern.

[name]Bronwyn[/name] – I just don’t love this; it feels masculine to me, and maybe a bit nouveau riche? Unless it’s a family name?
[name]Kit[/name] / [name]Katherine[/name] / [name]Kate[/name] / [name]Kathleen[/name] – Oh, I love love love [name]Kit[/name], but unfortunately most people call me “[name]Kat[/name]” so a daughter and I would be [name]Kit[/name]-[name]Kat[/name]. [name]Charlotte[/name] & [name]Kit[/name] are very different, and per my earlier note, I’d only commit to the nickname full-time if you do it for both daughters.
[name]Gwendolyn[/name] / [name]Gwyneth[/name] / Guenivere – these are a little too fairy-tale-y for my taste.
[name]Margaret[/name] / [name]Margie[/name] – Have you considered [name]Margie[/name] pronounced to rhyme with “glee”? I have a friend with this name & prefer it to the traditional pronunciation.
[name]Loraine[/name] – I don’t love this.

Other options I like:
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] (I love nn [name]Posey[/name])
[name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] …
OK, basically everything on @lemon’s list. :slight_smile:

The first name that came to mind to go with [name]Charlotte[/name] is [name]Emily[/name]. However, [name]Emily[/name] may be too popular, so I choose:

[name]Emmeline[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]
[name]Margaret[/name]

With [name]Charlotte[/name] I like:
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name] ([name]Kit[/name])
I know two Charlottes and their sisters are [name]Madeleine[/name] and [name]Paige[/name].
Good luck!

From your list, these were my favorite:

[name]Bronwyn[/name] – how cute! I agree that I immediately thought of [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Bronte[/name] too, not that it’s a bad thing! Also prefer the ‘e’ to the ‘y’, but that’s beside the point.

[name]Gwen[/name] – has been a favorite of mine for a long time. Maybe choose [name]Gwendolyn[/name] or [name]Guinevere[/name] and use [name]Gwen[/name] as a nickname? That gives your child more options later on

[name]Katherine[/name] – another beautiful, classic name that would be a lovely match to [name]Charlotte[/name]

Thanks girls. I appreciate all of the advice–I knew that [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] were both derived from the same name, I think I remember reading that when we picked [name]Charlotte[/name]. Anyway, I do love the name, and would prob. go with it 100% – however, its my MILs name…so I am really unsure. They would have the SAME exact name (b.c its my [name]MIL[/name] they have the same last name then too). So, there is my hesitation.

I agree with all of what you said-I like [name]Lorraine[/name] better too-I didn’t realize this was the normal spelling of it. I like this name ok, but I am not sold on it.

[name]Kit[/name] I love-but I feel like its so different from [name]Charlotte[/name]… so we will see.

Someone suggested [name]Margot[/name]. I really like that name a lot. I would def. consider that-I have added it to the list.

Well, thanks again. I will keep checking in. :slight_smile:
ps. I know [name]Bronwyn[/name] is sort of different, but there is something I like about it. I am a teacher and I like to pick names that my students don’t have. So far I have only ever had one [name]Charlotte[/name]-this year I actually have another-but that was it, and both girls are sweet. Never had a [name]Bronwyn[/name], but knew one in high school. We still don’t know what we are having yet–if its a boy, it’ll be [name]Wes[/name]. :slight_smile:

Anyway…thank you!!!

I love the name [name]Charlotte[/name] it’s totally on my list! Of your faves I like [name]Bronwyn[/name] (but be prepared for [name]Winnie[/name]) and [name]Margaret[/name] (but I prefer [name]Maggie[/name]). My other faves would be [name]Audrey[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], [name]Jane[/name], [name]Macy[/name] and [name]Grace[/name]. Can’t wait to hear what you choose!