A sister for Clifton

Hello All,

I have loyally followed Nameberry for the last couple of years… and ended up naming my son [name_m]Clifton[/name_m]. We call him Cliffy or [name_m]Cliff[/name_m] most of the time.

We are excepting a girl in [name_f]October[/name_f], however, finding a name that works with [name_m]Clifton[/name_m] has been tough. My husband liked Carrington or [name_u]Cameron[/name_u], but I do not want two tonnames, nor two c names.

I somewhat like the following, but am not winning over my husband with these.
[ul]

[/ul]

I would love, love, love any other suggestions or thoughts. I love names that can be shortened, but do not like more than two syllables.

[name_u]Whitney[/name_u] goes perfectly!

As for other suggestions maybe [name_u]Shelby[/name_u] or [name_f]Estelle[/name_f]? I looked through some lists but couldn’t find anything I liked better than [name_u]Whitney[/name_u].
Good luck!

I love [name_u]Winslow[/name_u] for you! [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] & [name_m]Cliff[/name_m]… ADORABLE! I understand not wanting two C names or two -ton names; I would be the same way. Names you might like:

[name_f]Margo[/name_f]
[name_f]Annette[/name_f]
[name_u]Windsor[/name_u]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f]
[name_u]Sydney[/name_u]
[name_f]Martha[/name_f]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_u]Regan[/name_u]
[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_u]Waverly[/name_u]
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Eileen[/name_f]

What do you think of these? Good luck naming your daughter :slight_smile:

First off congrats!
Next, I also like the name [name_u]Winslow[/name_u] but agree with your hubby that its a bit ‘meh’ for a girl (I have named one of my dogs [name_u]Winslow[/name_u], [name_f]Winnie[/name_f] for short).
I dont know your style completely but have you tried any of the names that end with -ley? Such as [name_u]Ainsley[/name_u], [name_u]Finley[/name_u], [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f], etc? They’re extremely popular right now and I think they’re very pretty!

Wow, what a great choice in [name_m]Clifton[/name_m]! [name_u]Love[/name_u] it! :slight_smile:

(I’m a teacher who gets sick of hearing the same old names over and over)

I agree about not Carrington and [name_u]Cameron[/name_u]. First, as you say, the double c thing isn’t the best, and second, Carrington and [name_u]Cameron[/name_u] don’t sound female whereas [name_m]Clifton[/name_m] is definitely male.

I’m sorry that can’t get excited about [name_u]Whitney[/name_u], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], or [name_u]Winslow[/name_u]. [name_u]Whitney[/name_u] feels flimsy to me, not bad, just flimsy. [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] is OK, but does not seem the freshest name. And [name_u]Winslow[/name_u] to me is all male, as in [name_u]Winslow[/name_u] [name_m]Homer[/name_m].

I think a good pairing with [name_m]Clifton[/name_m] would be similarly a real name with a history, solidly female, and slightly old-fashioned.

Let’s see… [name_m]How[/name_m] about

[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Thora[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Glenda[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Wendy[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Tansy[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Maudie[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Jeannette[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Esme[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Frances[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Gladys[/name_f]
[name_m]Clifton[/name_m] and [name_f]Maris[/name_f]

[name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] is my favorite of your choices, but I’m not sure any of them live up to [name_m]Clifton[/name_m]. [name_m]Clifton[/name_m] is very unexpected and refreshing. This is a hard one! Suggestions:

[name_f]Mina[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolyn[/name_f]
[name_f]Cecelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_f]Ramona[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_f]Leona[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Greta[/name_f]