a sister for Vivian

My daughter is [name]Vivian[/name], and our last name is two syllables and sounds like err-when.

I am expecting a baby girl due [name]October[/name] 2nd. We are currently nameless.

We whittled our way through 40 names and came up with 5 finalists:
[name]Mirabel[/name]
[name]Felicity[/name]
[name]Vienna[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]/[name]Rosalyn[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]

At this point we are undecided. I like classic, pretty names that aren’t too popular or too “out there.” If [name]Evelyn[/name] weren’t so popular that would already be her name. My other favorite is [name]Rosalind[/name]/[name]Rosalyn[/name]. DH loves [name]Felicity[/name] but I can’t help but think of the American Girl doll (which I got in childhood). DH also loves [name]Penelope[/name] but I am having a hard time getting on board. [name]Mirabel[/name] is nice but I worry about the -belle/-bella trend.

Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

[name]Elizabeth[/name]

Out of these name my favorite is [name]Felicity[/name]. I don’t think it is too tied to the American Girl [name]Doll[/name] at all. But if you’re worried you could try [name]Felicia[/name], [name]Felixia[/name], [name]Felixa[/name], or Félicienne.
As for [name]Vienna[/name], I like the name but it sounds way too close to [name]Vivian[/name]. viVIAN and [name]VIENna[/name]
I love [name]Rosalind[/name] ([name]Rosalie[/name] is also nice) but don’t like [name]Rosalyn[/name]. It doesn’t have the classic beauty of [name]Rosalind[/name] and looks like many modern invented names.
[name]Mirabel[/name] is nice but I much prefer [name]Amabel[/name] or [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name] - this is a very nice name but if you are worried about it’s popularity you could use [name]Eve[/name], [name]Eva[/name] (which is also popular), [name]Evie[/name], [name]Evangeline[/name], or [name]Ever[/name].

I like [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name] together; I think they both have the same feel and vibe. A close second would be [name]Rosalyn[/name]/[name]Rosalind[/name].

On your list, I really like [name]Mirabel[/name] and [name]Rosalind[/name] (although I prefer [name]Rosalie[/name]). [name]Felicity[/name] just reminds me of the TV show. [name]Vienna[/name] is a beautiful city, but as a name I think it sounds like it’s trying too hard to sound different. It also is kind of matchy with [name]Vivian[/name]. [name]Evelyn[/name] is a nice name, but I have a few friends whose moms names are [name]Evelyn[/name], so it reads kind of middle aged to me. [name]Evangeline[/name] or [name]Evelina[/name] might be nice alternatives.

I think [name]Rosalind[/name] would be a great choice! It is very pretty and I think it goes great with [name]Vivian[/name]! My second favorite would be [name]Felicity[/name].

I find [name]Vivian[/name], [name]Vienna[/name], and [name]Evelyn[/name] too similar in sound (as a pp noted, viVIAN and [name]VIENna[/name] with the first; [name]Vivian[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name] sound a bit like the same sounds rearranged to me). [name]Rosalind[/name] and [name]Felicity[/name] are by far my favorites! American Girl is constantly updating their collection. Some older dolls, like [name]Samantha[/name], have been retired, and I imagine that at some point, [name]Felicity[/name] probably will be, too, so her generation won’t associate them so much (plus it’s fun to share your name with the doll you get! She’ll know you didn’t name her after it). And all that said, I don’t associate [name]Felicity[/name] with the doll… And [name]Rosalind[/name] is beautiful, historical, literary, etc. Fabulous. [name]Mirabel[/name] is fine; it just doesn’t wow me.

I like [name]Evelyn[/name] best out of your choices :slight_smile:

[name]Mirabel[/name] - I like this, but I like the less-common -bel names. I like the soft sound of [name]Mira[/name] as a nickname, too. But [name]Magnolia[/name] or [name]Marigold[/name] or [name]Miriam[/name] could be non-bel options?

[name]Felicity[/name] - I love [name]Felicity[/name] a lot.

[name]Vienna[/name] - I don’t like [name]Vienna[/name] with [name]Vivian[/name], and also the whole city-name thing feels far more modern than [name]Vivian[/name] does, to me.

[name]Rosalind[/name]/[name]Rosalyn[/name] - I like [name]Rosalind[/name] a lot, though it doesn’t quite break my top 3 rose-names ([name]Rosamund[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Rosalba[/name])

[name]Evelyn[/name] - Sounds almost like you played letter-jumble with [name]Vivian[/name] to me.

thanks- these opinions are all very helpful. I think at this point our top two are [name]Rosalind[/name] and [name]Evelyn[/name]…DH also suggested [name]Anastasia[/name], which I hadn’t even really considered…

any additional thoughts?

I love [name]Evelyn[/name]. I think it’s beautiful and classic, and I don’t think it’s too popular at all. It’s certainly not [name]Elizabeth[/name] or [name]Charlotte[/name]. [name]Mirabel[/name] is tapping into the [name]Belle[/name]/[name]Bella[/name] trend, [name]Felicity[/name] and [name]Rosalind[/name] are a bit clunky for me, and I find [name]Vienna[/name] is borderline pretentious, although very pretty. I think [name]Evelyn[/name] is perfect.

My fav is [name]Evelyn[/name] and I also like [name]Mirabel[/name] :). Good luck!

Agree with everything said here! I think [name]Rosalind[/name] would be my first choice, then [name]Felicity[/name].