A whole different list of short and strong names

I was looking through a baby names book today and wrote down the short, strong, Latin, Greek, and [name]German[/name] names that stuck out to me. I’d love to here your thoughts on these and any additional names you can come up with.

Last name is H€nk€n, it is [name]North[/name] [name]German[/name] and Dutch: patronymic from H€nk€. So it’s from the name H€inrich (Germany) or [name]Johann[/name] (Dutch). Siblings are: [name]Rex[/name] - (Latin) King and [name]Troy[/name] (English/Gaelic/Greek) a person from the city of Troyes in [name]France[/name]/ [name]Son[/name] of a footsoldier/ the ancient city that was besieged by the Greeks in [name]Homer[/name]'s ‘Iliad’

Newest ideas:

[name]Adler[/name] - ([name]German[/name]) Resembling a soaring eagle
**I had never heard this name before. It’s probably a surname, which I’m not a huge fan of, but it sounds kind of cool. I don’t know that it passes the “yelling out the back door” test though.

[name]Ajax[/name] - (Greek) In mythology, a hero of the Trojan War
Yes I know about the cleaner, but I only think mythology when I hear this name. I think it’s awesome. I don’t know if we could pull it off though.

[name]Archer[/name] - (Latin) A skilled bowman
Sounds cool and like it might be a good fit. It’s not that popular now, but it jumped leaps and bounds from 2011-2012. I’m not a fan of that.

[name]Braun[/name] - ([name]German[/name]) Having great strength
This and [name]Dean[/name] might be the only two names that end in -n and actually don’t sound horrible with our last name.

[name]Chester[/name] (nn [name]Chet[/name]) - (Latin) From the camp of the soldiers
My DH mentioned [name]Chet[/name] 3yrs ago and I laughed about it being a 1980’s heartthrob name. I kind of like it now.

[name]Conrad[/name] - ([name]German[/name]) A brave and bold ruler; a bold advisor
It just sounds so cool. Not the best with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name] though.

[name]Crew[/name] - (Latin) Of the [name]Chariot[/name]
There’s actually a little boy in our homeschool soccer group named [name]Crew[/name]. At first I wasn’t too sure about it but its really grown on me. And the meaning helps.

[name]Eric[/name] - (Scandinavian) [name]Ever[/name] the ruler
I know it’s Scandinavian and somewhat old school, but I like it.

[name]Greer[/name] - (Greek) A form of [name]Gregory[/name]. [name]One[/name] who is vigilant; watchful
It’s different, theres no nickname, sounds strong

[name]Miles[/name]/[name]Milo[/name] - ([name]German[/name]/Latin) [name]One[/name] who is merciful/ A soldier
I know this one has been shot down multiple times but I just can’t get over it. [name]Every[/name] time I see it I think it’s a good option.

[name]Paris[/name] - (English/Greek) [name]Man[/name] from the city in [name]France[/name]/ in mythology, the prince of [name]Troy[/name] who abducted [name]Helen[/name]
Why does this have to be a girls name now? I think it could make a great name for a boy.

These names are from my other threads/lists that I’m keeping in the running:

[name]Victor[/name] (nn [name]Vic[/name] or Vico) - (Latin) [name]One[/name] who is victorious; the champion

[name]Dean[/name] - (English/Latin) From the valley, a church official/ from the Middle English deen (ultimately from Latin decanus meaning “chief of ten”)

[name]Bram[/name] and [name]Wade[/name] - I’m keeping them in there just because I like them. But I don’t feel that strongly connected to them.

Any input this morning? I know I’m off my rocker a little, but you all want to indulge me. [name]Don[/name]'t you? :wink:

I love love [name]Adler[/name], hadn’t heard it before. My favorite of those you are now considering.

I wasn’t here for the conversation re [name]Miles[/name]/ [name]Milo[/name], but I have loved both these names for a long time. [name]Milo[/name] sounds a little better with your other boys, but is maybe too on trend for some ppl?

[name]Archer[/name] is also very nice.

[name]Adler[/name] - a nice name, a little awkward for me to say… It is also a kind of tree (black [name]Adler[/name])

[name]Ajax[/name] - not my favorite on your list

[name]Archer[/name] - very strong name

[name]Braun[/name] - not a favorite, reminds me of the word or paper towels

[name]Chester[/name] (nn [name]Chet[/name]) - I like it, but I’m not sure if I would be brave enough to use it

[name]Conrad[/name] - nice, strong name

[name]Crew[/name] - nice, but I prefer other names on your list

[name]Eric[/name] - my favorite so far from your list, handsome and strong

[name]Greer[/name] - nice, strong name

[name]Miles[/name]/[name]Milo[/name] - I like [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Milo[/name], both great choices

[name]Paris[/name] - sorry, can’t see this on a boy unfortunately

[name]Victor[/name] (nn [name]Vic[/name] or Vico) - love this with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name]!

[name]Dean[/name] - one of my favorites

[name]Bram[/name] and [name]Wade[/name] - Nice names but I feel you have better choices on your list

[name]Ajax[/name] and [name]Braun[/name] unfortunately remind me of paper towels and cleaning products (altho [name]Ajax[/name] is a cute pet name). [name]Paris[/name] and [name]Crew[/name] I just do not like. [name]Eric[/name] is a fine name but seems too plain/mainstream.

[name]Archer[/name] and [name]Milo[/name] are old favorites of mine, but my favorite of the new ones is [name]Greer[/name]–super handsome! [name]Victor[/name], [name]Dean[/name] and [name]Bram[/name] are solid choices too.

I actually really like [name]Crew[/name] because it reminds me of water and I like the association.

With big brothers [name]Rex[/name], [name]King[/name], and [name]Troy[/name], I like [name]Archer[/name], [name]Conrad[/name], and [name]Victor[/name] from your list. These 3 have the same strength as your sons’ names.

Other ideas:

[name]Valor[/name]
[name]Jett[/name]
Merit
[name]North[/name]
[name]West[/name]
[name]Field[/name]

I think [name]Archer[/name] goes really well with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name]. I also like [name]Bram[/name] and [name]Dean[/name], but [name]Dean[/name] might be too mainstream compared to the others.

[name]Archer[/name] is awesome! I love it. We had to do a research paper in class about Hitler and in my research I found out he had a wife (for less than 2 days before he killed himself) named [name]Eva[/name] [name]Braun[/name]. I don’t think you’d want to name [name]Baby[/name] a name associated with Hitler. That’s the first thing that came to mind when I saw [name]Braun[/name] on your list.

I thought [name]Adler[/name] was kind of cool too. [name]Milo[/name] is my pick as well, but even though it has a strong meaning the sound of the name is softer :frowning:
I’m liking [name]Archer[/name].

[name]Adler[/name] - a nice name, a little awkward for me to say… It is also a kind of tree (black [name]Adler[/name])

• I find it somewhat awkward to say as well. Especially compared to [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name].

[name]Ajax[/name] - not my favorite on your list

[name]Archer[/name] - very strong name

• this is becoming one of my favorites

[name]Braun[/name] - not a favorite, reminds me of the word or paper towels

• I didn’t even think of that last night. I see it though.

[name]Chester[/name] (nn [name]Chet[/name]) - I like it, but I’m not sure if I would be brave enough to use it

• that’s how I feel

[name]Conrad[/name] - nice, strong name

• I agree

[name]Crew[/name] - nice, but I prefer other names on your list

[name]Eric[/name] - my favorite so far from your list, handsome and strong

• I thought so too

[name]Greer[/name] - nice, strong name

[name]Miles[/name]/[name]Milo[/name] - I like [name]Miles[/name] and [name]Milo[/name], both great choices

[name]Paris[/name] - sorry, can’t see this on a boy unfortunately

• I know :frowning:

[name]Victor[/name] (nn [name]Vic[/name] or Vico) - love this with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name]!

• me too

[name]Dean[/name] - one of my favorites

[name]Bram[/name] and [name]Wade[/name] - Nice names but I feel you have better choices on your list[/QUOTE]

Newest ideas:

[name]Adler[/name] - I think of “addled”, like to have a mental problem.

• gotcha

[name]Ajax[/name] - I like this except for the cleaner… that is the first thing that comes to mind. I don’t like [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Ajax[/name] both ending with -x.

• I hear ya. I like the name [name]Felix[/name] too, but it has the -x too

[name]Archer[/name] - (Latin)- Absolutely love this. This goes well with your surname, and sounds amazing with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name].

• I agree! I’m loving this one right now

[name]Braun[/name] - ([name]German[/name]) [name]Don[/name]'t like the -n -n with your surname.

• I agree

[name]Chester[/name] (nn [name]Chet[/name]) - [name]Just[/name] doesn’t fit with your other boys, as it feels very nerdy and preppy.

• I agree

[name]Conrad[/name] - ([name]German[/name]) I actually love this with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name]… it has the same testosterone level…

• I agree! It sounds so strong!

[name]Crew[/name] - Much too preppy to fit with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name], imho. It makes his brothers sound manly… and him just very posh and preppy.

• lol! I see where you’re coming from

[name]Eric[/name] - (Scandinavian) [name]Ever[/name]- Too old school for me… I prefer [name]Leif[/name].

• it is old school. But I feel like you don’t hear too many little ones with this name.

[name]Greer[/name] - (Greek) A form of [name]Gregory[/name]. [name]One[/name] This one would go well…

• But?

[name]Miles[/name]/[name]Milo[/name] - ([name]German[/name]/Latin) [name]One[/name] who is merciful/ A soldier- This is good, but once again so week sounding with [name]Troy[/name] and [name]Rex[/name].

• I know. And I agree. I need to just say goodbye to this one.

[name]Paris[/name] - (English/Greek) [name]Man[/name] from the city in [name]France[/name]/ in mythology, the prince of [name]Troy[/name] who abducted [name]Helen[/name] This could have been a great name for a boy… but not now. It would especially stand out with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name]. I’d assume he was their sister.

• I know

My top names to this point:

1. [name]Archer[/name]… [name]Just[/name] amazing. I wouldn’t worry about the popularity. [name]Even[/name] if you choose a name that’s obscure now, there’s no way to be sure it won’t be popular in the future…
  • I misspoke about the popularity in my original post. [name]Even[/name] though it rose 46 places from 2011-2012 it still only ranks at 404 :slight_smile:
  1. [name]Victor[/name]… also very good

2. [name]Conrad[/name]… not Classical, but still pretty cool…

Yeah, [name]Ajax[/name] and [name]Braun[/name] would probably not be good sibling names :slight_smile:

I’m liking [name]Greer[/name] too. There’s just something about it I like.

Thanks for the feedback!

[name]Adler[/name] reminds me of the adjective addled! Please don’t go for that one. I think [name]Archer[/name] is great with your other boys’ names. [name]Conrad[/name] is really good too!

my opinions, with a few other ideas tacked on.

[name]Adler[/name] - I like the name. Not sure that it fits with your other names as it has a bit of softness to it.

[name]Ajax[/name] - I actually think this is a cool name (especially for a pet). I’m not sure what I’d think if I met a guy with this name. What about [name]Atlas[/name]?

[name]Archer[/name] - definitely more popular than anything else on your list. I like it though. What about [name]Argus[/name]?

[name]Braun[/name] - this is a bit too literal for me. What about [name]Bern[/name] ?

[name]Chester[/name] (nn [name]Chet[/name]) - definitely on the dorky side, especially beside your other names. What about [name]Cedar[/name]?

[name]Conrad[/name] - agreed that it’s not the best with [name]Rex[/name] and [name]Troy[/name]. What about [name]Hector[/name]?

[name]Crew[/name] - again, a bit literal, I don’t hate it though

[name]Eric[/name] - definitely more average than most of your names. What about [name]Jason[/name]?

[name]Greer[/name] - includes “rear”, mouthy sort of pronunciation, feels feminine.

[name]Miles[/name]/[name]Milo[/name] - I prefer [name]Milo[/name] to [name]Miles[/name] with your other names. I think it’s a good option. What about Leto?

[name]Paris[/name] - sorry, but I really think it would be a bad idea on a boy. What about [name]Pace[/name]?

[name]Victor[/name] (nn [name]Vic[/name] or Vico) - a good option, more regular than your others but fine.

[name]Dean[/name] - okay. What about [name]Dane[/name]?

[name]Bram[/name] - I like [name]Bram[/name], a lot actually, another good option. What about [name]Flint[/name]?

[name]Valor[/name] sounds cool! Thanks for the suggestion.

[name]Adler[/name] is off the list. It just doesn’t flow right for me. I can’t see yelling “[name]Rex[/name], [name]Troy[/name], [name]Adler[/name]!”

Now “[name]Rex[/name], [name]Troy[/name], [name]Archer[/name]! Get over here!” That works.
“[name]Rex[/name], [name]Troy[/name], [name]Conrad[/name]!” That could work. But it doesn’t have quite the flow of [name]Archer[/name].

Thanks for the feedback!

I did a little more research on [name]Greer[/name] and all of the mainstream baby name sites have it listed as a girls name. So I guess I’ll take it off the list.

[name]Archer[/name] and [name]Dean[/name] are my favorites by far!

Ha… oops. So much for super handsome. I can see that though. Oh well