About Luthien

Lúthien Tinúviel is a fictional character by J.R.R. Tolkien, inspired by his wife, [name_f]Edith[/name_f] Bratt.

Thoughts of using Luthien in real life?
I am absolutely in love with its pronunciation (LUthie-En)!

I adore the story of Luthien, so I would be happy to see a brave parent use it! It’s very pretty, somewhat easy to pronounce, and has lovely assocations. Maybe as a middle?

2 Likes

Honestly, it sounds like [name_m]Lucien[/name_m]/Lucian said with a lisp to me.

5 Likes

Don’t see this as a name fit for a little girl, just not my style!

1 Like

I think it could work. :blush: It does sound a bit masculine to me though. Like a mix of [name_m]Luther[/name_m] and [name_m]Lucien[/name_m].
I like Tinúviel too. Actually I think Tinúviel sounds more feminine.

4 Likes

I think that it could work, but maybe as a middle name?

2 Likes

Luthien is like the [name_f]Juliet[/name_f] of the geek world! Except she is wiser and more well rounded. I love her, love her name, should be enjoyed,heard and used!

2 Likes

Yep, been swimming in the geek world since forever :joy:!

1 Like

Use it!

1 Like

It’s okay.

1 Like

I agree with everything above, except I think it’s perfectly usable as a first name!

2 Likes

I like it for a middle name. I don’t know why but it reminds me of [name_m]Lucifer[/name_m]

1 Like

Luthien is actually very pretty. It reminds me a bit of [name_f]Elowen[/name_f] in its sounds so it feels quite usable

1 Like

I love its uniqueness! I might initially assume male because of the [name_m]Luther[/name_m] / [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] association, but given that it’s a name I’ve never actually met before, I can easily hop on board the girls name train. Especially since new gender neutral names are a big hit these days

1 Like

I think it would be beautiful and unique, not too out-there to be usable irl. Definitely loving it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m torn on Lúthien.

As my user card and username can probably attest, I’m all for using Tolkien names. Lúthien doesn’t come across to me as being as usable as [name_f]Arwen[/name_f] or Éowyn, but I think it’s more usable than [name_f]Galadriel[/name_f] (who is my queen). That being said, I personally can’t get past the fact that it sounds like Lutheran.

That said I do like her story and if I ever met a little girl named Lúthien, I would probably start geeking out. :joy:

2 Likes

I LOVE it. I do have a LOTR tattoo though so I’m not messing around with my fandom :joy:

1 Like

@futuremama,- second this, unfortunately. Sorry.

Lucienne might make it usable, however.

2 Likes

I’m with pp who said that it sounds like [name_m]Lucien[/name_m] with a lisp.

2 Likes