? about the name Neve

Is it an anglicized version of [name]Niamh[/name] (I’ve read yes and no)?
Should it rhyme with [name]Steve[/name] or [name]Bev[/name]?
Is it Irish or Dutch or Latin?

So confused!

Many thanks!
[name]Tara[/name]

The actress [name]Neve[/name] [name]Campbell[/name] pronounces it [name]Nev[/name]. I read it was her mother’s maiden name.

Yes, it is Irish, and yes, it is an anglicised version of [name]Niamh[/name]. It rhymes with [name]Steve[/name]. Another Irish name, Naomh, is pronounced roughly the same. [name]Niamh[/name] and Naomh mean ‘bright’ and ‘holy’ respectively. I love [name]Neve[/name]!

I hope your name search is going well, [name]Tara[/name] :slight_smile:

Hey Twinkle! Thanks for your response.

My name search is sucking! I just am not finding “the name” and I’m frustrated but thanks for asking :slight_smile:

I like [name]Neve[/name]- pronounced to rhyme with [name]Steve[/name]- very much. I have spoken to several people, though, that say it should rhyme with [name]Bev[/name] (this is the way actress [name]Neve[/name] [name]Campbell[/name] says her name too).

I just wouldn’t want to saddle a kid with a lifetime of correcting the pronunciation of her name.

I like this Irish meaning best, too!

Thanks again!
[name]Tara[/name]

My name search is sucking! I just am not finding “the name” and I’m frustrated but thanks for asking :slight_smile:

I like [name]Neve[/name]- pronounced to rhyme with [name]Steve[/name]- very much. I have spoken to several people, though, that say it should rhyme with [name]Bev[/name] (this is the way actress [name]Neve[/name] [name]Campbell[/name] says her name too).

I just wouldn’t want to saddle a kid with a lifetime of correcting the pronunciation of her name.

Thanks again!
[name]Tara[/name][/quote]

Oh, I’ve never heard it pronounced nev! I know many [name]Neves[/name] (and Niamhs) here, but perhaps it is more well-known in [name]England[/name] (I think you are in [name]America[/name]?), due to the proximity.

I’m sorry to hear that, [name]Tara[/name]. Did your husband nix [name]India[/name]? [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are both lovely choices, though; it is so frustrating when you think a lot of names are nice, but none feels like the one, though.

[name]Do[/name] you mind if I give a couple more suggestions? They’ve probably been suggested before!

[name]Juliette[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] (it is [name]Leo[/name], isn’t it? I’m sorry if I’ve gotten that wrong!) :
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Anjali[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Nona[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] ([name]Estelle[/name]/a)
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Zara[/name].

I hope you find a name you love :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] to put in my opinion, I always pronounce [name]Neve[/name] as rhyming with [name]Bev[/name], and I think it’s really nice :slight_smile:

It is Irish pronounced neev,

Thanks again!
[name]Tara[/name][/quote]

Oh, I’ve never heard it pronounced nev! I know many [name]Neves[/name] (and Niamhs) here, but perhaps it is more well-known in [name]England[/name] (I think you are in [name]America[/name]?), due to the proximity.

I’m sorry to hear that, [name]Tara[/name]. Did your husband nix [name]India[/name]? [name]Nora[/name] and [name]Isla[/name] are both lovely choices, though; it is so frustrating when you think a lot of names are nice, but none feels like the one, though.

[name]Do[/name] you mind if I give a couple more suggestions? They’ve probably been suggested before!

[name]Juliette[/name], [name]Bella[/name], [name]Mia[/name] and [name]Leo[/name] (it is [name]Leo[/name], isn’t it? I’m sorry if I’ve gotten that wrong!) :
[name]Adelaide[/name]
[name]Adeline[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Anjali[/name]
[name]Bianca[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name]
[name]Cecily[/name]
[name]Celia[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Cora[/name]
[name]Cordelia[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Hazel[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Nova[/name]
[name]Nola[/name]
[name]Nona[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Rosa[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] ([name]Estelle[/name]/a)
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Zara[/name].

I hope you find a name you love :)[/quote]

Thanks for your encouagement, Twinkle! I am ALWAYS open to suggestions and I like several of yours esp. [name]Nola[/name], [name]Nona[/name], [name]Georgia[/name] (we live there), [name]Lucia[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Estella[/name]/[name]Stella[/name] and [name]Willa[/name]. There are several of those that we wouldn’t be able to use for various reasons but [name]Nola[/name] is definitely one that is on our short list.

As you can see from a couple of the other replies, in the US, [name]Neve[/name] is usually pronounced to rhyme with [name]Bev[/name]. I think we would constantly be correcting people here. If we spelled it [name]Niamh[/name], I’m afraid people would butcher it and pronounce it N-e-ah-muh.

I have faith in finding the right name for this kid. We find out the gender on the 20th. All of this girl name search could end up being all for naught…but it’s been fun :slight_smile:

Thanks again!

[name]Tara[/name]

I’m glad you like some of the names, and I just saw your post about [name]Nola[/name] - I love [name]Nola[/name]! I have one more suggestion - [name]Orla[/name]. It is unusual but easy to pronounce and spell, and I think it compliments your other children’s names very well. It is also an anglicised version of the Irish name [name]Orfhlaith[/name], which means ‘golden princess’.

Good luck again!

I actually chose the name for my female Labrador, and we pronounce it like [name]Bev[/name].

[name]Love[/name] the name, obviously :slight_smile:

[name]Neve[/name] (neev, form of Irish [name]Niamh[/name]) and [name]Neve[/name] (nev, French) are entirely different names that just happen to be spelled the same.

[name]Neve[/name] [name]Campbell[/name] is Canadian, from what I remember, and she pronounces her name [name]NEV[/name], not NEEV.

We considered the name, but we have a [name]Niamh[/name] in the family already. I believe it has the same meaning, but NO, it isn’t pronounced the same as [name]Niamh[/name] (neeve).

Naimh is a gorgeous name. When a family member named her little girl this, we were like “WHAT?!!!” but the name is gorgeous and is increasing in popularity. I wouldn’t worry about the pronunciation or spelling thing for too much longer – it is becoming quite popular in the UK and I think it will spread over here (N.[name]America[/name]).