Abra?

I love the feel of this name, but the only downside (for me) is the obvious teasing potential: A-bra. Is that enough for me to steer clear of the name? Would it be better spelled Abrah? I really would prefer to stick with the traditional spelling. Opinions, please!

I didn’t actually think of “a bra” until you said it and now it suddenly seems soooooo obvious! Maybe too obvious? I’m not sure.

[name]Alba[/name] is similar, do you like that one?

I do love this name. I came across it when I was reading [name]East[/name] of [name]Eden[/name] (her name is [name]Abra[/name], spelled as such). I do see the downfall to it, and it is possibile to use the spelling Abrah, however I believe this greatly diminishes the name. I think it would have to be a discussion, a [name]LONG[/name] discussion for my husband and I. It can be done, you can name your child [name]Abra[/name], but you must be prepared - and I honestly do not think the name calling because of ones name is so bad nowadays.

Hmmm. I just think [name]Abra[/name]-Cadabra?

I love [name]Alba[/name] as a first name!

I like [name]Alba[/name], I guess, but I much prefer [name]Abra[/name]. I wonder if it would be mispronounced, as in [name]Abra[/name]-Cadabra.

[name]Abra[/name]'s really nice. Can’t say I get the bra reference, unless you deliberately extend the pause between the two syllables.

If you’re worried about your kid being bullied or a bully, that’s more to do with self-esteem than a given name. Kids will find any reason to pick on each other. If you’re really worried about it, or it becomes an issue, make a game with your child about developing strategies for dispelling such taunts, turning them on their heads perhaps, or some other way to take the power out of name-calling. If you’ve been paying attention to the news, it’s not about the kids’ names but being considered “other than normal” for just being themselves, or for things out of their control that they are bullied.
That said, I’m sure your child will make the name their own. (I once met a [name]Wilma[/name], and somehow knew before meeting her that she was bound to be cool, just having had to shape the name for herself). It can also be easier to focus anxieties over the child’s life experiences on this one concrete decision. I’m sure you’ll be a great parent, if your trying to look out for your kid ahead of time is any indication. Best of luck

Makes me think of Pokemon :wink:

Also, this name also has the nn option of [name]Abby[/name]. So she could choose to go by that if she prefers/if she gets teased.

I just think [name]Abra[/name] Cadabra …and I think that it is pronounced [name]Ab[/name] ra…that is the only way to say it…?

I grew up with a girl named [name]Abra[/name]. I always thought it was really pretty. As far as I know no one ever called her A-bra. She pronounced it [name]Ab[/name]-ra, and no one had trouble pronouncing it.

I also thought of [name]Abra[/name]-Cadabra first, even though I see you’re not pronouncing it that way.