Acacia Kersey baby name

So I just learnt that she changed her sons name from [name_u]Cali[/name_u] to [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] with the nn [name_u]Cali[/name_u]. As a Greek person I really don’t know how to feel about this. I guess it works on a boy? :woman_shrugging:t2: (But then I feel like a hypocrite cause I like [name_u]Atlas[/name_u] on a girl…)
(Apparently he is named after the character from Greys anatomy)

1 Like

Not weirder than girls named [name_u]Everett[/name_u] or [name_u]Milo[/name_u]

2 Likes

I think it’s actually kind of cool! [name_f]Io[/name_f] has always sounded masculine to me anyway…

2 Likes

I can see why people aren’t fond of it. I personally don’t mind it. I don’t love the name [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] anyway, but the sentiment doesn’t bother me. The reason I think people are particularly riled up about this particular name on a boy is that the name [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] has quite a lot of rich history associated with Greek mythology. I can completely understand from a Greek person’s perspective why this name may leave a slightly odd taste in your mouth.

IMO, gendered names are social constructs anyway, so naming your son, say, [name_f]Calliope[/name_f] in this instance, would be no weirder than naming him [name_u]Liam[/name_u] to someone who grew up in some alternate universe where gendered names don’t exist. Does that make sense at all? :sweat_smile:

Sorry, I went on a bit of a tangent there.

ETA: Today I learned that Nameberry considers Liam a unisex name

3 Likes