Acien?

My friend’s son’s name is Acien [name_m]Noble[/name_m]. Acien ins pronounced like [name_u]Mason[/name_u] without the M. I don’t feel Acien is a normal spelling of this. I’m curious what other ways you’ve seen this name spelled.

It also really bothers me that his name doesn’t follow the English rule of “i before e, except after c.”

You must be bothered by an awful lot of words if you think that is a real rule (beige, seize, caffeine, feint, neither, etc etc etc). If that is your friend’s son’s real name I suggest you ask to have this post taken down, or at the least edit it to replace some letters with numbers or other symbols or something, because it is very distinctive and probably super easy to google. I don’t expect your friend would enjoy finding this - although you were not very rude about it, you were a bit and I don’t think it is really your place to put it up on the internet and ask for strangers’ opinions.

To answer your question, I have never seen this name before, spelled in any way.

I think this is a made up name.

You are probably right! I hope so.

I’ve never heard this name before. It sounds like a mix between [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] and [name_u]Mason[/name_u]. Based on the spelling, I would have said A sien or A shun. I’m guessing spelling was a concern with your friend. [name_f]Ason[/name_f] looks like a son or could be prn a$$ un. Acon could be prn A con or ack un. I think Ayson or Aison would be a more intuitive spelling.

Yeah I definitely would have pronounced it “[name_m]ACE[/name_m]-ee-in” on first sight. Wouldn’t have known it was “[name_u]Mason[/name_u] without the M” at all. There actually is a name, Aeson, that I believe is pronounced that way but I don’t really like any of the spelling options. And it’s super uncommon.

I did know a little guy named Aceon (pron. “AY-see-on”) who went exclusively by [name_m]Ace[/name_m]. So it’s uncommon but not completely unheard of, [name_f]IMO[/name_f] anyway.

Wow -what’s with all the harshness???

I totally understand what you are saying about the I before E except after C thing. It does look weird. I would have just spelled it [name_f]Ason[/name_f] or Aceson if I was going to use it…

I assume you’re referring to me. Let me clarify. I just draw a line between ‘poster’s own child / future child / hypothetical child’ and ‘a child the poster knows who is already named’ when it comes to answering the question: “Should I ask people on the internet what they think about this name?”. In my opinion, for names falling into the latter category the answer is: “If there’s a chance this isn’t going to be completely anonymous, absolutely not, unless at the request or with the express permission of the child’s parent.”

I don’t think that’s particularly harsh, it seems like basic manners to me. We all have the right to decide what personal information about ourselves and our underage family members we want out there on a public website, and other people shouldn’t be making decisions to put our personal info (like children’s names) up without our knowledge or permission. Judging from the tone of the post (if it is real), this was not posted with the parent’s knowledge or permission.

Yes, it is probably a name and scenario that OP made up, but if it is real, it’s really not OK (also if it isn’t real, it still isn’t OK according to the rules of this site). I mean if the kid was named [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u], sure, those are a dime a dozen so that would be different.

@jackal, I’m with you, for the most part. I mean, I’ll come across names, and I’m interested to see what others think of them, and I probably wouldn’t ask for permission first. But I do think the privacy thing is important, and even if I did dislike a name, if the child was here already, I wouldn’t want to offend the parent by totally destroying their child’s actual name. Protecting that, I think, is a good thing.

As I’m practicing my [name_m]French[/name_m], I would have instinctively said it as$-ee-uh(n), or maybe AY-see-ehn. I’ve come across the AY-sehn sound in a name before; I’m trying to remember how it was spelled. I think it was Aysen? Maybe Aeson or Ayson instead. I’m not a huge fan–I much prefer [name_m]Grayson[/name_m], or even [name_m]Jason[/name_m] or [name_u]Mason[/name_u]. It’s definitely unusual, though, and I like the look of Acien quite a lot. Sort of a mix between [name_f]Asian[/name_f] and Ancient, which are both intriguing-looking words (albeit, probably not great names).

S I dont know why its the worst thing in the world to post it. Frankly, if she is going to make up a name for a child, shell need some thick skin. This won’t be the only time people make fun of her kid’s name.

I will never understand why a person would name their baby a name that the child will have to explain, pronounce and spell-out every day for the duration of their life. “Acien” and its pronunciation both seem made up. A “Scrabble” name, if you will. I value diversity and creativity but the name seems to be more of a future problem for the child.

I dont care for the name or spelling either, at least [name_u]Aiden[/name_u] is a real name. To each his own…

So strangers (well, in the OP’s case, it wouldn’t be strangers; it’s someone she knows) should purposely try to make fun of her name choice? It’s the price she has to pay for picking a bad name, and she has to sit there and take it, because this is the penance? She deserves to be berated and belittled for her name choice? I don’t buy it. Yeah, it might not be the best name ever, but I don’t think she probably made the choice with malice in her heart for her son. [name_m]Just[/name_m] like most parents, I’m sure they wanted the best for their son when they chose his name. Is it the worst thing in the world to post? Probably not. But a little sensitivity and discretion could have been nice.

[name_u]Aidan[/name_u] is a real name. [name_u]Aiden[/name_u]? Not so much.

I would have pronounced it similar to ‘[name_f]Asian[/name_f]’ if you hadn’t said it was like (M) ason. Maybe Aeson or [name_f]Ason[/name_f] would be easier.

[name_m]Don[/name_m]'t put words in my mouth just because this topic makes you hot. She doesn’t “deserve” anything. People shouldn’t go out of their way to make fun. I mean,frankly, it was a toss up posting to this site. Lots of people could have loved this name on this site. Very plausible. But the concept that we shouldn’t have an opinion because its an uncommon name just on the off chance she stumbles upon this website is silly. You pick a random name,its fair to assume some people won’t like it. I’m sure she was prepared for that.

And if for some reason she stumbles here and find this thread she doesn’t have to “take it”. She has a kid, I’m sure she’s a big girl, she can defend her choice.

I couldn’t agree more. I think a name is unsuccessful if you have to explain how to spell it or how to say it constantly.

Wow! Thanks for all the feedback, both positive and negative. I’d just like it to be known that I didn’t make this post up. I consider Acien my nephew. His is one of the happiest babies I have ever known in my life. I was very shocked when his mother told us his name (and then again when she spelled it!) and was simply looking for outsider’s opinions. Thanks for all the help!