Ad placement is honestly horrible

I left nameberry for years due to racism/prejudice on this site (an article about “Irish twins”…hateful, tone-deaf term given history of [name_f]English[/name_f] indifference towards starving large Catholic families during the Famine), and now I think I’ll leave again due to ad placement. I cannot even type a reply to a forum post, because the ads are at the bottom of the screen right where the textbox appears. If mods think I’m going to download some sort of app to avoid this, prejudice must not be the only mental issue here. Sorry for any spelling errors…typing blind

1 Like

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] @YumyanHammerpaw,

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f] back to the site! I’m sorry you’re having issues with the ads.

What ads people see is completely individual — it will depend on your location, browser and cookie profile, among other things. I don’t experience many ads at all, for example, but I know others do and we’re always keen to block problematic ads like the ones you describe.

We can’t block ads we know nothing about; we need to know:

• Your location (you can PM this info if you don’t want to share publicly)

• Your device and browser

• The URL of the ad, so we can contact our ad partner to get it blocked.

I’m sorry to hear you’ve been disappointed with a past blog post, and I’ve searched for that and amended the wording because I agree it’s an offensive term which should not have been used.

However, accusing the mods of being prejudiced and mentally ill is beyond the pale and I hope you’ll reflect on that. We are all just ordinary people giving our time to keep this community as interesting and welcoming a place as possible.

1 Like