Ada and Adelaide

[name]Hi[/name] There,

Looking for some feedback on [name]Ada[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name].

We are thinking of going with [name]Adelaide[/name] for our baby girl due this Feb, nn [name]Ada[/name]. We both like the idea of having a long name she can use for “official” purposes…but we probably wouldn’t call her [name]Adelaide[/name] on a regular basis. Here is my struggle though, is [name]Ada[/name] (pronounced like the letter “A”-duh) an appropriate nn for [name]Adelaide[/name] (pronounced like the “A” in apple) given the different pronounciations of the “A”? I’m not crazy about the other nn for [name]Adelaide[/name] ([name]Addie[/name], [name]Laidey[/name], etc.).

The other option is to just go with [name]Ada[/name] as a stand alone name, because that is probably what we’d call her 98% of the time…but I’m having a bit of a hard time letting go of [name]Adelaide[/name].

Your thoughts are appreciated!

I know an [name]Adelaide[/name], who goes by [name]Ada[/name]. She’s the cutest thing and I think [name]Ada[/name] works as a nickname for [name]Adelaide[/name] perfectly.

Good luck!

Thanks millikate! That is very helpful :slight_smile:

I think [name]Ada[/name] works fine for [name]Adelaide[/name]. If Margarets can be called [name]Peggy[/name], Adelaides can certainly be called [name]Ada[/name]. :smiley:

I would prefer [name]Adelaide[/name] nn [name]Ada[/name] then just [name]Ada[/name]. Personally my favorite nicknames for [name]Adelaide[/name] are [name]Heidi[/name] and [name]Adele[/name]. [name]Ada[/name] is perfectly nice, but it’s likely to get lost and confused with all the little Avas.

I would prefer [name]Adelaide[/name] nn [name]Ada[/name] then just [name]Ada[/name]. Personally my favorite nicknames for [name]Adelaide[/name] are [name]Heidi[/name] and [name]Adele[/name]. [name]Ada[/name] is perfectly nice, but it’s likely to get lost and confused with all the little Avas.

[name]Both[/name] are cute names and I think [name]Ada[/name] works as a nn. I am not a big fan of nn and I feel lie if you are gonna call her [name]Ada[/name] 98% of the time that should be her name. [name]Ada[/name] means [name]Fairy[/name] in spanish! It is a strong stand alone and will age well.

thanks berries! lots to think about…but am leaning towards [name]Adelaide[/name], nn [name]Ada[/name].

Ooooh! [name]Do[/name] it! I love [name]Adelaide[/name]. I think [name]Ada[/name] (despite subtle vowel change) is an appropriate nn. And I love the idea of coming up with a longer, formal name you love with a nn you also love. I think you are giving your child the best of both possible worlds – and not one, but two great names!

I love the name [name]Adelaide[/name]! It’s definitely one of my favorites and it actually has a lot of cute nickname possibilities. I think [name]Ada[/name] works perfectly and you have nothing to worry about as far as how it sounds. I also like [name]Adele[/name] for [name]Adelaide[/name], and I think Lady would be cute when she’s little. Great choice!

Thanks @jackiet and @bonnie…it’s nice to know you guys approve! Definitely feeling good about our choice.