Ada, Ella, Lily, Noa...??

[name]Hi[/name] there. My husband and I are TTC and thinking about baby names for girls. We have a boy’s name we love ([name]Jonah[/name]), but can’t quite find a girls name that we feel as attached to. The middle name will be after my grandma, whose name was [name]Basha[/name] (though we may go with another Yiddish middle name (like [name]Blume[/name]) that starts with a B if [name]Basha[/name] doesn’t sound right).

Of these, what are your thoughts?

– [name]Ada[/name] [name]Blume[/name]
– [name]Ada[/name] [name]Basha[/name] (too many A sounds?)
– [name]Ella[/name] [name]Basha[/name] (how popular is it really? do you think she’d be one of several [name]Ella[/name]'s in her class or one of several in her school?)
– [name]Lily[/name] [name]Basha[/name]
– [name]Noa[/name] [name]Basha[/name] (or [name]Noa[/name] [name]Blume[/name]?) – (and if you didn’t already know, it’s not a misspelling of [name]Noah[/name]. It’s the name of a pretty gutsy woman in the Bible and a different name than the male [name]Noah[/name]-- pronounced differently in Hebrew, though in English sounds the same.)

Thanks for your thoughts.

My fav is [name]Ada[/name] [name]Blume[/name] followed by [name]Lily[/name] [name]Basha[/name]. I just think that [name]Ada[/name] is an old vintage name that is sadly underused. There are so many [name]Lily[/name]'s that an [name]Ada[/name] would stand out. Best wishes!

I like your options! My favorite is [name]Ada[/name] because [name]Lily[/name] and [name]Ella[/name] are so popular, and I perosnally prefer [name]Noah[/name] on a boy. I would like to suddest [name]Nola[/name]. Its unusual, and kind of like a combo of [name]Ella[/name] and [name]Noa[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] there!

I also considered [name]Noa[/name] as a name for my daughter to honor our Jewish side of the family, but I don’t want to use it since I’m afraid that everyone who meets her will think that we’re trying to feminize the old man in the boat. It would be different if we lived in a Jewish area, where people would recognise [name]Noa[/name] as a legit female name. I just don’t want her to feel like she’s stuck with a masculine name, as much as I love [name]Noa[/name]. Maybe this should not be a concern. I don’t know if you live in an area where people would recognize [name]Noa[/name] as a female name or not, or if you care. It is a beautiful name though.

Is [name]Basha[/name] a form of Basya/[name]Batya[/name]? If so, I slightly prefer Basya to [name]Basha[/name].

Some other Hebrew and Yiddish B names to consider, to honor [name]Basha[/name]:

[name]Binah[/name]/[name]Bina[/name] (bee-na)- great meaning: means wisdom
[name]Batsheva[/name]
Bruria (she’s a great namesake- she was the only woman in the Talmud who the men respected enough to answer religious questions back when women were considered too frivolous to have an opinion to take seriously. Great smart strong woman.
[name]Baila[/name]

First off, let me say that I think you have EXCELLENT taste in names. I literally love every single one on your list.
[name]Ada[/name]- I love [name]Ada[/name], but I think it could cause some problems because [name]Ava[/name] is so popular- she’d always be explaining that it’s a D, not a V.
[name]Ella[/name]- I definitely like it, but it is pretty popular (but then so is [name]Lily[/name]), which doesn’t bother me, but there’s also all the -ella names like [name]Isabella[/name], [name]Gabriella[/name], [name]Mariella[/name], [name]Ariella[/name], etc. And it seems a little like it’s missing something- like it’s cut out of a longer name
[name]Lily[/name]- I like [name]Lily[/name] [name]Basha[/name] as a combination best from your list. It’s such a sweet name
[name]Noa[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Noa[/name], but I think that she’ll always be mistaken for a boy [name]Noah[/name] (especially with a non-classic middle like [name]Basha[/name]), so I’m afraid to use it myself. I’ve thought of using [name]Noemi/name with the nickname [name]Noa[/name], if that appeals to you.

Thank you all so much. It’s great to get the feedback (and to know you’re not going horribly wrong!). I think we’ll probably either go with [name]Ada[/name] [name]Blume[/name] or [name]Lily[/name] [name]Basha[/name], but I suppose we have some time to mull it over. :wink: Thanks so much for your thoughts!