Ada or Adelia?

Our first child is due in a few weeks, and we thought we’d settled on [name]Ada[/name] for a girl (we don’t know the gender) but now I’m afraid it’s more of nickname. My husband’s great-grandmother was [name]Adelia[/name] so lately I’ve been leaning towards that, using [name]Ada[/name] as a nn. What do you think of [name]Adelia[/name]? And how would you pronounce it…A-[name]DEAL[/name]-YA or A-[name]DELL[/name]-YA?

A-[name]DELL[/name]-ya. I love it. It’s a really gorgeous name. I like [name]Ada[/name], but it is a bit nicknamey and feels a bit trendy. [name]Adelia[/name] would be a great choice for a more substantial name. You could still use [name]Ada[/name] as a nickname, but she would have the possibility of using the full name when she grows up. I really like it a lot.

I think [name]Adelia[/name] is beautiful, and I actually pronounce it with four syllables (a-dee-lee-uh).

Hmm - I would pronounce it like [name]Jill[/name] - a-dee-lee-uh. I like both names quite a bit - hard choice! But I do have to disagree - I don’t think [name]Ada[/name] sounds nicknamy - just sweet and cute.

The one [name]Adelia[/name] I know (she’s in her early 20’s) pronounces it a-[name]DELL[/name]-ya.

Great name!

I’m another one who’d say [name]Ah[/name]-deal-ee-ah for [name]Adelia[/name] (it’s a delia ito me, so …) I like [name]Ada[/name] on it’s own too. Sweet, simple and fresh. [name]Ada[/name]'s lovely!

A-deel-ya here. [name]Delia[/name] with an ‘a’ in front. It’s a pretty name, and I’d use that with [name]Ada[/name] as a nickname. Or perhaps [name]Adeline[/name]?