Adair: Masculine or Feminine?

I’ve been thinking about [name_u]Adair[/name_u] recently. It’s a strong, magical name and I just love the look of it. The database lists it as a unisex name but most people here seem to think of it as a girl’s name (or at least prefer it on a girl), and usually when someone mentions that they like it or have it on their list, it’s feminine. But to me it sounds and looks more masculine.

I’d like to put it on my list but as I’ve mentioned am not so sure on which gender it’s supposed to be for… so WDYT? Is it just a girls / boys name, or could it be unisex?

NB: This is all hypothetical.

It’s all girl to me!

It’s my mommy’s middle name, so I get feminine, but I see the potential masculinity there. I think it’s def usable for either but I prefer it on a girl.

From Behind the Name, it’s a surname derived from [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]. So I’d say it’s unisex since there doesn’t seem much precedent either way. I’ve only heard of it on girls and I think of it like the name [name_u]Avery[/name_u] in sound and feel so while I can see it working on a boy I think it would become a girl’s name mostly if it ever got popular. Personally I prefer it for a girl though, even though I prefer [name_u]Avery[/name_u] for a boy.

I can see it on either gender, but to me it feels more feminine.

That’s funny, it seems all masculine to me. I can’t see it on a girl.

I like it for both genders, but more for a boy. It is rather a unisex name. I would never use it because to me it sounds like “a dare.”

Wow. Right off the bat I think BOY! [name_u]Adair[/name_u] on a girl seems weird to me.

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] is unisex. It definitely doesn’t feel masculine to me at all. It sounds like a hybrid of [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_f]Claire[/name_f]. The -air part of the name is what makes it sound feminine.

I can only see it in a boy, but as you can see from the other comments, not everyone agrees about its gender.
Whatever gender YOU prefer it on is the list you should put it on.

In theory I know it’s totally unisex, but I’ve never known a boy [name_u]Adair[/name_u], so it’s all girl for me.

I’m not too familiar with the name [name_u]Adair[/name_u], but I’m assuming it sounds like the name of a venomous snake known as adder? To me, actually, [name_u]Adair[/name_u] seems more masculine because of that snake-vibe I get. I can see why others think its feminine. It fits in with the [name_u]Blair[/name_u]-[name_u]Sinclair[/name_u] pattern. Is the -air more masculine or femnine? I don’t think this is one you can say is exclusively male or female, nor could you say it works better for boys or girls. It is equally a boys name as a girls name. Personally, I’m leaning to the boys side, but I can see it work on both genders.

I think it’s one of those truly unisex names. I know an older lady with the name so from experience I tie to to a woman, but it’s actually on my list as a middle for either.
I really don’t think it’s strongly feminine and a boy/man could wear it well.

[name_u]Adair[/name_u] sounds quite masculine to me. [name_u]Adair[/name_u] reminds me of [name_m]Alistair[/name_m]!

Isn’t it a variant of [name_m]Edgar[/name_m]…? Like the previous poster, it reminds me of [name_m]Alastair[/name_m]. So that’s a vote for boy from me.

Eh… I don’t think I have a preference here. I don’t personally know anyone named [name_u]Adair[/name_u], so there’s no association for me. I wouldn’t know if this were a boy or girl if it was a name on a roster. Completely unisex, I guess. I think it might be more interesting on a boy, and feel more trendy on a girl.

Completely masculine; I can’t imagine any female named [name_u]Adair[/name_u], but I can see on any type of male. The -air part reminds me of Rosaire, which is considered masculine in [name_f]France[/name_f].

I thought it was masculine when I first saw it.

I didn’t think that this thread would get a lot of replies, so thank you everyone! :slight_smile: The results turned out to be interesting since I expected most people to say that it’s feminine, although it looks as if most people here think it’s masculine. I counted up the votes and the results were:

Masculine: 9
Feminine: 5
Unisex: 5

I think I’ll add it to my boys list.

The nickname Dare makes it quite masculine but I think adding the A makes it sound feminine so as much as I would love to see this on a little boy, it leans over to the girl side for me X