Adaliah

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]!

Wondering if anyone has any insight on the name [name_f]Adaliah[/name_f]. I am getting mixed results on what gender it is even for (it sounds so feminine to me), as well as the correct pronunciation. I love the name [name_m]Adlai[/name_m] and so I stumbled upon it that way, and I am intrigued.

I think [name_f]Adalia[/name_f] (I’m not sure about the additional H, though many biblical names due include it) is biblical, masculine and pronounced with the long I sound, as [name_m]Adlai[/name_m] would be. Due to the feminine like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] & [name_f]Lia[/name_f] sounds and the general -a finish though, I can see it looking and sounding (uh-[name_u]DAY[/name_u]-lee-uh / uh-DAH-lyah) quite feminine, though I’m not sure on the historical legitimacy of [name_f]Adalia/name_f with feminine usage.

[name_f]Adelia[/name_f] (you could add the -h if you really liked it there), on the other hand would work well on a female, due to the feminine Germanic element adal ([name_f]Adelheid[/name_f]/[name_f]Adela[/name_f] etc) and I don’t think you’d have the gender confusion there.

Never heard it, but it’s beautiful. It’s kind of like a cross between [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Cordelia[/name_f]. I would say Uh doll ya.

I had never heard it either and the pronunciation you came up with is the same that I thought too.

Thank you, names are so fascinating!

[name_f]Adelia[/name_f] is a favorite too. You’re right - it isn’t as confusing.