Adalynn pronunciation question

[name_m]Hi[/name_m], guys! How would you pronounce [name_f]Adalynn[/name_f]?

Further question/clarification under the blur, I don’t want it to influence people’s pronunciation subconsciously:

I want it to be pronounced like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], which is why I’m using this spelling, but I think Adelyn/Adeline and other variants are more commonly pronounced like add-a-lyn (or add-a-line), which I don’t like as much. Is this spelling more intuitive for the pronunciation I want, or do you think people might still mess it up?

I’d pronounce it ADD-uh-lynn! The “ah” sound in the beginning is the “ah” in the word “add” as opposed to in the word “Amish,” or “Avery” to clarify.

I think Ada-Lynn or [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] as a double barrel would be best for the pronunciation you prefer! X

ad-uh-lynn

‘ad’ pronounced like a TV ad.

I think [name_f]Adalynn[/name_f] or [name_f]Adalyn[/name_f] is the clearest spelling for the pronunciation you want, but I do think people will mess it up sometimes. I think using two names or a hyphen might work, or inventing a spelling like Aidalynn or Aydalin.

I’d still pronounce it Add-uh-Lynn I’m afraid

I pronounce [name_f]Adalynn[/name_f] the same as [name_f]Adelynn[/name_f], like the “a” in pal. To get the pronunciation you want I would use [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] as a double barrel.There is the option to change the spelling of the name, but I think that would make things more confusing for people (teachers, etc.) and more frustrating for the girl with the name.

I would assume add-uh-lyn

Add-uh-lynn

add uhh line

I would definitely say [name_f]Adelyn[/name_f]

I would still pronounce it add-uh-lyn. I think your best bet to get aid-uh-Lynn would be a double barrel name Ada-Lynn like someone else said

I would pronounce it add uh lynn :confused: I know an Adalynn who pronounced it that way as well. I think Ada Lynn would be the best bet

Add-uh-lynn would be my initial guess, without reading the blur, but could also see how it might be Adah-lynn. Almost like a double name.

And now that I’ve read the blur, would you be opposed to [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] rather than combining? That might avoid some of the confusion.

@snowmaiden @EagleEyes @joyous57 @LibelluleClaire @lateaugust @westem

Thanks guys for your suggestions! I’m thinking about [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] as a double barrel or just [name_f]Ada[/name_f], but part of me still likes the look of the smoosh. The fact that everyone who has responded so far instinctively pronounced it the way I didn’t want it to be pronounced is definitely a concern, though.

3 Likes

I think this name will always be ADD-uh-lyn because that’s the most common pronunciation and I think people are more familiar with [name_f]Adalynn[/name_f] and its variants than [name_f]Ada[/name_f] (I didn’t even know people pronounced [name_f]Ada[/name_f] like ay-da until I was 14 or so because I only knew [name_f]Adeline[/name_f] and Adalynn). A double barrel like [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u] would get you closer to your goal (and I think even Ada-Lynn with the hyphen would still be seen as a variant of [name_f]Adalynn[/name_f] a majority of the time).

i would assume that it’s add-uh-lynn, and i think you could only get ada-lynn from a double barrel, unfortunately.

Add-uh-lin

I would say “ah-DA-lynn”

[name_m]Add[/name_m] -uh-lynn (just like Adelyn)

I think it would be a problem to try to pronounce it [name_f]Ada[/name_f] [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], just because of how popular [name_f]Adelyn[/name_f] is currently.