Addison and Anniston

What is wrong with [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name]? We are considering using these for our twins if they are girls. Everyone on here says that they are too similar but I just don’t see it! The only similarity I can really see is the initial A and the ending -on sound. I don’t plan on using NNs, especially not [name]Annie[/name]. [name]Annie[/name] just takes all the fun out of [name]Anniston[/name] for me. WDYT think of [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name], individually as well as for twins?

Also, what does everyone think of [name]Cambria[/name]? I recently discovered it and I think it is adorable.

[name]Addison[/name] is masculine and extremely popular and trendy and [name]Anniston[/name] is also pretty masculine, a surname and reminds me of [name]Jennifer[/name] Aniston. They [name]DO[/name] sounds very similar, though and would make very matchy twin names.

[name]Cambria[/name] is a million times better.

Maybe…

[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Harlow[/name]
[name]Piper[/name]
[name]Sydney[/name]
Annevieve
[name]Alison[/name]
[name]Avalon[/name]
[name]Eleri[/name]
[name]Rhiannon[/name]
[name]Kiersten[/name]
[name]Regan[/name]

I like both names. I have considered using [name]Anniston[/name] for my baby girl but I think I would get tired of people referencing [name]Jennifer[/name] Aniston. As twins, they are too similar. [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Cambria[/name] would be ADORABLE for twins.

[name]Even[/name] though [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] aren’t my typical style I have a real soft spot for the both of them. I agree that they are two distinct names and I don’t think they would be awful for twins but if you have another baby she/he could feel left out. If the sibset were [name]Addison[/name], [name]Anniston[/name] and [name]Cambria[/name] I wonder if [name]Cambria[/name] would fell left out or if [name]Addison[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name] would be upset that [name]Cambria[/name] got such a distinct name. I love [name]Cambria[/name]. I met a [name]Cambria[/name] once and she was an absolute doll, so if your little [name]Cambria[/name] is half as cute as this [name]Cambria[/name] was she will be irresistible :slight_smile:

[name]Just[/name] a note too, I strongly disagree with the pp that said [name]Anniston[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] was as bad as [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Addison[/name]! It is nowhere near as bad as that. In comparison, it makes [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] look wonderful.

[name]Just[/name] keep repeating “[name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name]” quickly and see how tongue tied you get, eventually you’ll be saying “Addiston and Annison”

I really dislike [name]Anniston[/name] and [name]Addison[/name]. If you sound it out really slowly, they sound almost identical. I don’t like them very much on their own, and as twins, I can just see confusion. I think [name]Cambria[/name] is much better, though it doesn’t go very well with [name]Addison[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name]. I think [name]Cambria[/name] with another unique name like [name]Imogen[/name] would a cute twin set.

• [name]Athena[/name]

nothing is wrong with [name]Addison[/name] and Aniston…if they are on boys [I [name]LOVE[/name] them on boys]

[name]Just[/name] a warning: this will be a long post.
I’ll answer the easiest question first: [name]Cambria[/name] isn’t my personal taste, but not a bad name.

Now, individually:
[name]Addison[/name]- this means “[name]Son[/name] of [name]Adam[/name].” I don’t know why that meaning would be appealing for a girl. The majority of people I know know the meaning origin of their name, and this isn’t a meaning that I, as a woman, would want my name to have. It’s kind of strange on a girl. It’s also very trendy. [name]Addison[/name] is already dated, as is [name]Madison[/name]. The two names together are honestly just boring and overdone, like the new [name]Tiffany[/name] and [name]Amber[/name].
[name]Anniston[/name]- I can’t hear this without thinking of [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Anniston[/name]. It’s a celebrity name, and those, to me, are the silliest sounding. They are very aspirational-seeming and I think if you name your child after a famous person, it should be a great thinker or artist, or one that has a particular impact on your life. And while [name]Jennifer[/name] [name]Anniston[/name] is a good actor, I wouldn’t classify her in with Stanislavski or Adler- she’s more of a celebrity. I also think it’s a bad idea to give a child a name with very strong connection to any living non-relative. [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Sheen[/name] and [name]Tiger[/name] Woods were perfectly good role models five years ago, but look at them now- you never know where a celebrity’s life may end up, and you don’t want your child’s name associated with a crazy person.

And now, together:
[name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] are extremely similar- I don’t know how you can’t see that. They have the same first initial, nearly rhyme (-ston and -son,) are both surnames, have the same number of syllables, share the same rhythm, and have possible nicknames [name]Addie[/name] and [name]Annie[/name], only one letter different. I think this is bad for twins because twins are already forced to be together so much, especially if they’re the same gender. Individuality is more difficult for twins because they’re constantly grouped together. I love my siblings, but I certainly wouldn’t want to be with them 24/7 or be seen as half of a group. Twins don’t really get this opportunity. I think they should at least be awarded the dignity of having distinct names.

Having said all that, I don’t think [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] are the worst names in the world. They won’t scar your children or open them to teasing. I don’t care for the names for the reasons mentioned, but if you like them, go ahead. There are far worse choices out there.

I don’t think the names are to similar to use but I really don’t like [name]Addison[/name] on a girl. It’s all boy.

What I don’t get is how names such as [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] are widely hated on this site, yet things like [name]Gaia[/name] and [name]Snow[/name] are acceptable as names. The again, I’m a little less open-minded about what makes a name.

[name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] sound way too similar; they’d always get confused. This could be less of a problem if they are non-identical. I’m also not sure how [name]Addison[/name] would feel about having a very popular name while [name]Anniston[/name] has a very unusual one. [name]How[/name] about:
[name]Madison[/name] (and [name]Anniston[/name])
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Selby[/name]
[name]Fifer[/name]
[name]Emery[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]
[name]Connolly[/name]
[name]Bailey[/name]
[name]Salem[/name]
[name]Schuyler[/name] (sky-ler)
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Tierney[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]

The A theme is a bit matchy [name]IMO[/name] but if you are set on it then I suppose you could try:
[name]Avery[/name]
[name]Adair[/name]
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Ariel[/name]

Individually - I quite like [name]Addison[/name] for either gender. [name]Anniston[/name] is OK; I don’t hate it. Same goes for [name]Cambria[/name].

I love [name]Addison[/name] myself. [name]Anniston[/name] is all surname to me, and too connected to [name]Jennifer[/name] Aniston for me to like as a given name.

I think they are far too similar for sisters, and especially twins. They start with the same letter, then both come into a double letter, followed by an s in each and ending the same way - definitely similar!

I think they are very similar - same A start, said with the same sound too (unlike, say, [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Grace[/name] where the Gs are pronounced differently), the -son and -ston endings are very close and some accents don’t pronounce the d’s that much so [name]Addison[/name] in some accents could sound very much like Annison. Maybe if you swapped, say, [name]Addison[/name] for [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Madison[/name], it would sound a better twinset. Like others have said, twins have it harder when carving an identity anyway.

As for [name]Cambria[/name], I’m not a fan because it reminds me too much of Cumbria, an area of northern [name]England[/name].

@ Aureliagwendolen - See, [name]Snow[/name] I can agree on, but a lot of words are used as names, so I guess it isn’t so big - but here’s MY issue with [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] compared to something like [name]Gaia[/name]. [name]Gaia[/name] has been around for ages, maybe not used consistently, but it has mythology and a huge history to stand on. It’s a little different, but not SO different - [name]Maia[/name] and [name]Gaia[/name] are one letter away from each other and no one say’s anything against [name]Maia[/name].

[name]Addison[/name] is this masculine trend that came out of no where and it doesn’t have a long history to it. It’s a surname and has a disease associated with it on top of the surety of becoming super dated in a few short years. [name]Gaia[/name] may be a little “different”, but it’s got substance and staying power where thing’s like [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] do not. [name]Gaia[/name] has a Greek [name]Goddess[/name] attached to it while [name]Anniston[/name] has…[name]Jennifer[/name] Aniston? They seem “empty” to me, I guess.

[name]Addison[/name] and [name]Anniston[/name] are very similar. I have a hard time believing the OP doesn’t see and hear the similarity. [name]Both[/name] are three-syllable masculine surnames with identical rhythms and near identical sounds. Personally I think [name]Addison[/name] is just as dated as [name]Madison[/name]; on top of that there is a disease associated with the name. [name]Anniston[/name] already feels tired because of its similarity to other trendy -son/-ton names, and it isn’t even a popular name yet. The only real positive points of these names is that they can be shortened to [name]Addie[/name] and [name]Annie[/name]. I would not like being called [name]Addison[/name] or [name]Anniston[/name].

What about using them as middle names? You might also want to consider [name]Adeline[/name] and [name]Anneliese[/name] as feminine alternatives. Not all girls want to be unisex.

NO. [name]Addison[/name] is trendy and kind of annoying on its own. It’s a boys name. And [name]Anniston[/name] is downright awful. It has an ugly sound and is just a surname of a celebrity. No meaning. The names sound and are basically the same, and [name]Anniston[/name] is barely a name. [name]Cambria[/name] is fine. It looks lovely in comparison to [name]Addison[/name]/[name]Anniston[/name]. I agree with [name]Daisy[/name]. Give your twins the respect of having different names.

I don’t really mind either one of them, sure, they’re not my style, but they are OK. I wouldn’t use them together though, I think they are waay too similar and rhymey. Personally, I think I’d end up saying Addiston and Annison half of the time. I think you should pick something less matchy:)

I absolutely love [name]Anniston[/name] and it’s on our top 5 list for a girl. I’m not a fan of [name]Addison[/name] though. I just think [name]Addison[/name] is a little played out IMHO. I don’t love them together either because of the “on” sound at the end. You’ll get them mixed up in no time =)

As others have said they’re very similar, and far too matchy for twins who will already share everything. Though apparently this kind of thing is pretty popular in the US according to the SSA Twin Lists where twin sets like [name]Tyler[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name] are very popular. [name]Anniston[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] are worse than that because they share the same sounds, rhythm, pattern, syllables etc. I really can’t believe that you don’t hear the similarity? I agree with one of the previous posts keep shouting them one after another and see how tongue tied you get!

I also believe that there is nothing about these names that will make them last forever, [name]Addison[/name] is pretty dated already and [name]Anniston[/name] will have a constant link to a celebrity. I find [name]Addison[/name] very masculine, so of the two [name]Anniston[/name] is slightly better.

[name]Cambria[/name] isn’t really my style but I’d rather see [name]Anniston[/name] & [name]Cambria[/name] together, especially as they are both uncommon whereas [name]Addison[/name] is popular and overdone.