Addison?

What are your takes on the name [name]Addison[/name]?

I think you can get a good idea about what people think of [name]Addison[/name] by reading the posts under today’s nameberry blog entry, which focuses on [name]Addison[/name] and names like it. To sum it all up, it’s a masculine name (it means son of [name]Adam[/name]), putting it on a girl is a horribly trendy fad, and it doesn’t belong on a girl. It’s also the name of a horrid adrenal disease, so [name]Addison[/name] doesn’t have a lot going for it.

If you like it, however, you should use it. I think you’ve been trying to decide between [name]Addison[/name] and [name]Piper[/name], and [name]Piper[/name] has been the clear winner of that contest!

I love the name [name]Addison[/name] despite what others say. [name]Addison[/name] is on my list at the top. It is a beautiful name and it is trendy. I love trendy, modern names. If you like it I would definetly use it.

Sorry, but I really don’t like it. [name]Adeline[/name] is pretty and [name]Adele[/name] is nice. [name]Love[/name] the nickname [name]Addie[/name]. We looked at a very pretty old house on a street named [name]Adeline[/name] a couple of years ago, and I remember thinking, that would be a cool name for a baby girl. But the reason I don’t like trendy names is ten years from now they are no longer trendy. Then after another ten years they become very tired. Like think about names that were trendy twenty or thirty years ago. Now many of them sound kind of blah. I don’t want to name any names because I don’t want to hurt anyone’s feelings. I can admit that my name is sounding kind of blah. It was trendy many years ago. But I do love it because it is a classic name. I think of it as a mid-century modern name, too. I love mid-century modern design, so I love 50’s names, too, sometimes. Like [name]Julie[/name] and [name]Ken[/name] and [name]Susan[/name].

I second what [name]Susan[/name] said. Using more recent names, [name]Madison[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name] were all the rage a decade ago, and while they’re still popular, they no longer sound fresh and unique, and people are already looking for other trendy names to replace them.

[name]Madison[/name] and [name]Taylor[/name] will forever be identified as having been born at the very end of the 20th century/beginning of the 21st century; they are stuck with dated names that have already become tired.

My point, is that [name]Addison[/name] is now zooming in to take [name]Madison[/name]'s place, and within a decade or so, [name]Addison[/name] will be “old” (trendy names expire quickly), and people will replace it with a new trendy name. The Addisons of today will be the Madisons, Taylors, Chelseas, Ashleys, etc., of the future. If this doesn’t bother you, that’s all that matters! :slight_smile: If it does bother you, however, keep in mind that classic/vintage names have a history, distinction, and staying power not found in trendy names.

This is your baby, though, and you need to do what’s right for you! :slight_smile:

I don’t care for it-- it’s just not a name that appeals to me. Strictly personal. I like very feminine names for girls. But it’s your baby and you should name her something you like, not something the rest of us like. :wink: