Adelais, Tabitha or Luella?

These are my top 3 names for our baby girl due in august. Which is your fave? Thanks.

They are all pretty but I am going to pick [name]Tabitha[/name] w/ nns [name]Tabby[/name],[name]Tibby[/name],Bitty,[name]Abby[/name] etc. [name]Adelais[/name] might get confused with [name]Adelaide[/name] and the other [name]Addy[/name] names out there like [name]Addison[/name], [name]Adeline[/name] and [name]Adele[/name]. Which brings me to [name]Luella[/name] which I love for it’s lush femininity but there are a lot of [name]Lucy[/name]'s and [name]Lucia[/name]'s out there along with all of the [name]Ellie[/name]/[name]Ella[/name] variants.

So yes all three pretty choices, but if you are looking for something unique and underused, that stands out, I would pick [name]Tabitha[/name].

Thank you for this. You have confirmed some of my thoughts. Especially about [name]Luella[/name]… There are so many Ellas and variants around at the moment. I do love adelais but I am sure people will have trouble pronouncing it… I haven’t decided if this matters though. Thanks for your input.

No problem. I would instuntually prn it [name]Ad[/name] e lay iss or is it A de lace?

[name]Love[/name] tabitha! I think it is so fun and interesting and has many great nn options. It’s my fv from ur list for sure

I haven’t seen [name]Adelais[/name] before- how do you pronounce it? Any way I try (my first instinct is [name]ADD[/name]-a-lays), it sounds lovely and exotic, so despite the possible confusion I’m picking that.

I love [name]Luella[/name]!

My vote goes to [name]Tabitha[/name]!

I adore [name]Luella[/name], it’s so pretty and uncommon. Plus you get the ADORABLE nicknames [name]Lulu[/name] and [name]Ella[/name]. [name]Luella[/name]'s a great choice.

[name]Luella[/name] is gorgeous… my favourite by far!

While I do like [name]Luella[/name] best from a certain standpoint, the spelling bugs me, and I think you’ll always have spelling issues. I really prefer the spelling [name]Louella[/name]. Plus, there really are so many -ella names! [name]Adelais[/name] is a bit too strange and would easily get confused with [name]Adelaide[/name]. So, my vote goes to [name]Tabitha[/name], which is itself a lovely, classic name. Congratulations and I hope that helps!

Another vote for the simply lovely [name]Tabitha[/name]! What a stand-out! :slight_smile:

It is ‘[name]Ad[/name] e lay’. Our first born daughter is [name]Saffron[/name] and I think [name]Adelais[/name] does well with it, but people will not doubt pronounce it like you said… with [name]Tabitha[/name] I am a bit worried out the Saffy/[name]Tabby[/name] nicknames sounding a bit like two ally cats!

I vote for [name]Tabby[/name]…as I have a 3 year old [name]Tabatha[/name] (with an ‘a’) and I just love, love, love our name choice :smiley:

Out of the three, [name]Adelais[/name] gets my vote. I’m sure it will have pronunciation problems but it is still a pretty name. The most common way I’ve heard it pronounced is ad-uh-lace. I think it’s the prettiest way. I’ve also heard ad-uh-lay-iss, which is also really pretty.

I personally hate [name]Tabitha[/name] and [name]Luella[/name]. [name]Tabitha[/name] is just not an attractive name, in my opinion. I don’t see anything pretty about it. [name]Luella[/name] sounds like a hillbilly. I’m sorry! I’m not trying to sound rude.

It is ‘[name]Ad[/name] e lay’. Our first born daughter is [name]Saffron[/name] and I think [name]Adelais[/name] does well with it, but people will not doubt pronounce it like you said… with [name]Tabitha[/name] I am a bit worried out the Saffy/[name]Tabby[/name] nicknames sounding a bit like two ally cats![/quote]

Your eldest is [name]Saffron[/name]?! I bow to you! What a fantastic name, so glad it’s being used! I guess prn of [name]Adelais[/name] may have to do with where you live, but at least in the US I have a feeling we will want to put an S in there. I can see your concern with the nn’s since [name]Tabby[/name] is a type of cat, obviously, but Saffy doesn’t sound cat like to me, or at least any more than any nn ending in y. If I was on the street and heard a mama call out “Saffy! [name]Tabby[/name]! Get over here!” I wouldn’t think “weird that lady gave her kids cat names” I would be delighted that I wasn’t hearing [name]Ava[/name] or [name]Emily[/name]! I would also wonder if Saffy was a nn or a name from a different culture. Also you gotta realize most people give their animals current/popular people names all the time. Right now I know of a dog named [name]Ella[/name] and a cat named [name]Mariah[/name]. I would be more concerned about how easily your daughter will be able to communicate and spell her name to people especially over the phone and in school, thus bringing up the main issue with [name]Adelais[/name].

Also, unless you are set on [name]Tabby[/name] as a nn for [name]Tabitha[/name] there are other choices like [name]Tibby[/name] being the most obvious but you can also be creative with sounds in the name like [name]Bea[/name], [name]BeBe[/name] [name]Abby[/name], [name]Thea[/name], [name]Tia[/name], [name]Hattie[/name], even [name]Beth[/name] or Bitha (bee tha) or heck, [name]Betty[/name] even.

I would choose [name]Tabitha[/name] is the nn is [name]Tabby[/name], and [name]Luella[/name] if the nn is [name]Lulu[/name], [name]Louie[/name], or [name]Ella[/name]. [name]Both[/name] are very nice.

No I think that is funny! I haven’t heard the hillbilly connotation before with [name]Luella[/name] as I’m in Australia but have heard it a couple of times on here…it is an interesting point!! I think I’ve definitely narrowed down to adelais or tabitha. Interesting that you have heard adelais before too - it seems to have a few different pronunciations going on, all of which I like. Thanks!

[/quote][/quote]

Thanks! I have considered “[name]Saffron[/name] II” as I love it so much! :smiley: I like some of your alternate tabby nns there are certainly a lot of nn options with tabitha.

[name]Luella[/name] is my first name. And, I hated it for the first 18 years. EVERYBODY mispronounces it to this very day. I usually just go by [name]Lu[/name]. People still have to ask twice when I introduce myself, but it’s those three syllables that seem to mess people up. It unfortunately rhymes with Cruella, as in Cruella Devil from 101 Dalmations (hate that movie, kids used to dance around me at school singing the Cruella Devil song). Now that I’m older, I do like it a little bit, but introducing myself to people is always an ordeal because of my stupid name. It’s so sad, because it really is a unique and lovely name. But, it takes a very strong woman to bear it, because people are ill-educated and cannot appreciate the complex beauty of the name!