Adele & Delphine - too similar?

Okay so I posted a thread about sister name for [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Solene[/name] and I got some great & fresh ideas. Thanks berries! Anyways, one of the berries suggested [name]Delphine[/name] and I really like it, but afraid it might be too similar to [name]Adele[/name]. Any ideas? Also, if you had to choose one between [name]Adele[/name] & [name]Delphine[/name], what would be your choice?

I don’t think the are necessarily too similar but they do run together. If you called out for both of them, you could end up with some smushed up mess like Adelphine which might get old for them. I think if you can practice with them and not get tongue tied, then you should be fine :slight_smile: I would definitely choose [name]Adele[/name] of the two!! It is one of my favorite names :slight_smile: [name]Delphine[/name] is nice but always reminded me of Dolphin…

I’m sorry but I find them way too close, although I really like both. Its because the “[name]Del[/name]” sound in both is so strong. I do personally prefer [name]Adele[/name] though, and [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Solene[/name] are really really beautiful! [name]Love[/name] them :slight_smile:

They’re too similar because of the [name]DEL[/name] sound in both.

If I were to pick, I prefer [name]Delphine[/name]. [name]Lovely[/name] meaning and I like the sound better.

I think I may have suggested [name]Delphine[/name]? Looking at it next to [name]Adele[/name] it does seem a tad too similar. Choosing between the two, I would pick [name]Delphine[/name]. I adore [name]Adele[/name], but I think it may have a rather rapid climb in popularity after [name]Adele[/name] swept the Grammy’s plus its similarity to the [name]Ad[/name]- names that are popular now.

Not sure where youre from but im going to pretend youre from the states or uk.

If i was going to give my daughter a French name i would choose [name]Adele[/name] because its much classier in [name]France[/name], I think a child would appreciate that should they ever visit the country of their names origin. I also prefer the meaning of [name]Adele[/name] because [name]Delphine[/name] comes from the word for Dolphin and is connected to Dauphine (I think the dolphin sound could lead to some teasing).

Want to add: I believe nameberry’s definition is wrong or is not the common accepted definition in France.

I love both! I was prepared to say that they weren’t too close (I actually really like [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Delphine[/name] as sisters, especially with [name]Solene[/name] added in), especially since they’ll likely have different nns ([name]Addie[/name]/[name]Ada[/name] for [name]Adele[/name], or maybe even [name]Elle[/name]/[name]Ella[/name]/[name]Ellie[/name], while [name]Delphine[/name] will likely get [name]Delle[/name]/[name]Della[/name], or maybe even Fi/[name]Fifi[/name]/[name]Fina[/name]/[name]Nina[/name]/etc.). But a lot of people seem to think they’re too close so maybe they are. Maybe use [name]Delphine[/name] as a MN (like [name]Sophie[/name] [name]Delphine[/name]?) and [name]Adele[/name] as a FN? I think that would be do-able.

If you only kept one, I would say keep [name]Adele[/name], but only by a hair! I love both a lot.