Adele

[name]Baby[/name] girl is due in early [name]January[/name] and so far our list is:

[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Sela[/name] (See-la)
[name]Fiona[/name]

And last night hubby suggested [name]Adele[/name]. Notice a “el” theme here?? I’m wondering what you all think of [name]Adele[/name] and how popular you think it will get due to the rising fame of the singer [name]Adele[/name]. I would consider [name]Adelaide[/name] but I wonder if that is a silly name? Too much? Of all my names which do you like best? Last name is Yoshitomi.

[name]How[/name] funny I was just looking last night at the name [name]Adele[/name] for our little girl due in early january:)
I like [name]Sela[/name], [name]Adele[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name] best

I love your list! I really like [name]Adelaide[/name], but [name]Adelaide[/name] Yoshitomi is quite a long name! Maybe [name]Adelaide[/name] nn [name]Adele[/name] or even [name]Adela[/name]? [name]Adele[/name] or [name]Eloise[/name] would both be adorable!! Good luck!!

what about [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Adele[/name]? I really like [name]Adelaide[/name] but that would be quite a long name! [name]Adela[/name] is a nice suggestion, that’s really cute!

I love the name [name]Adele[/name]! I also think [name]Adelaide[/name] nn [name]Adele[/name] is a great idea. But this is one of those ‘nicknames’ that doesn’t really need to be a nickname. [name]Adelaide[/name]/[name]Adele[/name] is one of the classiest names, in my opinion. :slight_smile:
If you’re worried about popularity, maybe use [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Adela[/name] and use [name]Adele[/name].

I like [name]Eleanor[/name]. I’ve always found this name to be so distinguished sounding.

[name]Eloise[/name] is ok. I know a lot of people like this name. But where I’m at, there are a lot of different cultures and this name can really trip people up.

I like [name]Sela[/name], but not the way you are pronouncing it. I like it as, seh-lah

[name]Fiona[/name] is one of those names I know many people like, but I just can’t bring myself to like it. I’ve never liked the sound of it, and once Shrek came out, I began to associate it with [name]Princess[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] the ogre.

[name]Adelaide[/name] Yoshitomi is a lot of syllables but I think it’s manageable especially if you’ll be calling her by the nn [name]Adele[/name] most of the time. I think I may like [name]Adele[/name] Yoshitomi a little more. I also like [name]Sela[/name] with your surname. [name]Eleanor[/name] is a great name but again it has multiple syllables like [name]Adelaide[/name]. [name]Do[/name] you have a nn for [name]Eleanor[/name]? I don’t like [name]Eloise[/name] as it ends in a similar sound as Yoshitomi and [name]Fiona[/name] Yoshitomi has too many “o” sounds.

1 [name]Adele[/name] / [name]Adelaide[/name]
2 [name]Sela[/name]
3 [name]Eleanor[/name]

[name]Mischa[/name], sometimes I think you read my mind! I feel the same way about [name]Fiona[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name]. Unfortunately those are my husbands faves right now. Isn’t that how it always goes?

I think for [name]Eleanor[/name] she would be [name]Elle[/name] or [name]Ellie[/name].

Is [name]Ellie[/name] a NM that could be used for [name]Adele[/name]? [name]Addie[/name] comes to mind but maybe [name]Ellie[/name] would work too?

I love [name]Sela[/name] the most but due to it’s uniqueness but am still caught up on all the controversy I get with the pronunciation. I really prefer See-la to [name]Say[/name]-la and despise Sell-uh. I might just have to get over this issue and accept that people will say it wrong at first.

I love [name]Adele[/name] for a MN. Of course it makes a great FN too. I like [name]Fiona[/name] the best from your list.:slight_smile:

I like [name]Adele[/name] the best, I like different names and think [name]Sela[/name] is pretty, but she may be called seal, etc.

I absolutely adore [name]Eloise[/name] off of your list and really would love to see it used. My second choice is [name]Fiona[/name]. As for your concern over [name]Adele[/name]/[name]Adelaide[/name], I don’t think [name]Adele[/name] the singer will affect the popularity of the name [name]Adele[/name] all that much. She has been around for years without influencing it, I don’t think a hit or two will change that. It has barely cracked the top 1000 (as of 2010 was only 908, the first time it has charted since 1969), while [name]Adelaide[/name] has been charting for a while and just passed the 500 mark. So basically if you are worrying about a jump, it may happen but I really don’t see the name jumping all that much. A little [name]Adele[/name] will still have an elegant and unique name.

I love [name]Adele[/name]; it has been on my list in the past, but mainly as a way to get the nn [name]Dell[/name], which I also love. I like [name]Adele[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] best from your list, but I agree that [name]Sela[/name] goes very nicely with your last name.

I love the name [name]Adele[/name] . . . It’s gorgeous, and I love the “noble” meaning. I think [name]Adele[/name], the singer, has certainly caused a rise in the familiarity of the name, and will be the dominant association when people hear it . . . At least she’s a classy and talented namesake, if people do in fact associate the name with her. I don’t see the name ever becoming extremely popular.

I think [name]Sela[/name] and [name]Eleanor[/name] sound the best with your surname, and both are lovely names, but I do like [name]Adele[/name].