Adeline proununciation

What is the correct way to pronounce [name]Adeline[/name]? I have seen a couple of different ways on different websites.

A-dell-ine

A friend of mine named their baby girl [name]Marlowe[/name] [name]Adeline[/name]. I thought it was pronounced A-duh-line (a prn like the a in apple), but they pronounce it ad-leen. I actually prefer the lattter pronunciation, but looking at the name, I just wouldn’t ever been inclined to pronounce it the way they do.

So now you have two different responses… we aren’t helping, are we?

ad-uh-line

My first instinct is ad-eh-leen (I’m usually drawn towards the more French pronunciation of names like [name]Rosaline[/name], [name]Emmeline[/name], etc.) but I’ve heard it more often as ad-eh-line. I prefer -leen, but the -line pronunciation is growing on me.

I read [name]Ad[/name] - uh - line

We’re thinking of using [name]Adeline[/name] as well :slight_smile:

We say “add-a-line”

I know a girl named [name]Adeline[/name] who pronounces it ad-a-leen.

I would pronounce it add-a-line, and I think it’s gorgeous!

~[name]Elena[/name]

I also say [name]Ad[/name]-a-line.

ad-uh-line

It’s pronounced A-duh-line. It’s [name]Madeline[/name] without the M. Pretty easy. [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Kate[/name] is my top name at the moment.

[name]Ad[/name]-a-leen.

I think [name]Add[/name]-a-line just sounds silly. I mean, really? [name]Add[/name] a line? Sounds like part of a phone service commercial. [name]Adeline[/name] for only $5! I can imagine grade school…

It’s a French diminutive of [name]Adela[/name], so the French pronunciation makes more sense to me. Same with [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Carolina[/name].

I say [name]Add[/name]-a-line as well, but I never noticed it was like a sentence til just now haha. As far as the -line -leen- lynn discussion, I think all -line names sound so much cooler when you pronounce it like line.

I say [name]Add[/name]-a-line as well, but I never noticed it was like a sentence til just now haha. As far as the -line -leen- lynn discussion, I think all -line names sound so much cooler when you pronounce it like line.

The French pronunciation is more like [name]Ah[/name]-day-leen, with slightly more emphasis on the day than most Australians or Americans would give it, we tend to roll over 'd’s very quickly.

I would pronounce it [name]Ad[/name]-da-line (to rhyme with wine). I like both pronunciations equally.

I am not so hot on [name]Adda[/name]-leen.

My daughter is [name]Frederique[/name], which some people (including us) pronounce [name]Fred[/name]-a-reek and some people pronounce [name]Fred[/name]-reek. It doesn’t bother her which way it’s said.

I know a woman with this name. She pronounces it add-uh-line. I have no reason to think it would be said any other way.

This reminds me of the Simpsons where [name]Homer[/name]'s in the barbershop quartet, and they sing “Sweet [name]Adeline[/name].”

Since the song says “add-a-line” I always pronounced it that way.

I pronounce it add-uh-line. Beautiful name!

Much prefer the “My Sweet [name]Adeline[/name]” pronunciation! This is such a great name! [name]Addie[/name] is such a cute nn too, but it suddenly became a big trend in my region, thanks to a crop of little Addisons and Adelyns. :x