Adeline vs. Avery

I really love the names [name]Adeline[/name] and [name]Avery[/name]. My favorite combinations so far are [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Kate[/name] or [name]Avery[/name] [name]Claire[/name]. Possibly also [name]Paige[/name] as a middle name.

It seems as those people either really like or hate these names. I definitely do not see [name]Avery[/name] as a boys name so that is in no way an issue for us. And [name]Addy[/name] for a nickname isn’t really a problem, although is it getting way too popular? As a [name]Jen[/name] born in '83 I was always one of many in every class and always wished I had a “cooler” name. Also someone here mentioned teasing for “[name]Add[/name] - a - line for $9.99” and I had never thought that until she said it and now it semi bothers me.

anyway, thoughts?

There’s nothing inherently wrong with these names. I really like [name]Adeline[/name] and don’t see any negative connotations like the one you mentioned, and although [name]Avery[/name] is definitely a boys’ name to me, I do see its appeal as a girls’ name, and I like the sound of [name]Avery[/name] [name]Claire[/name]. [name]Addy[/name] is an adorable nickname! It’s getting pretty popular, but I don’t see anything wrong with it…I much prefer it to [name]Maddy[/name]!

But if you really want to avoid a popular name akin to [name]Jennifer[/name] in the 80s, I would say avoid trendy names…unfortunately, I think [name]Avery[/name] as a girls’ name definitely qualifies as trendy. It’s certainly a “cool” name, but it’s very trendy in that it’s only recently popped up (in huge numbers) as a girls’ name, and it will probably die down soon. I wouldn’t say [name]Adeline[/name] is trendy, since it’s a classic feminine name, but the nickname [name]Addy[/name] is getting up there because of the [name]Addison[/name] trend. I think the reason people seem to either love or hate these two names is because of this trendiness - people who don’t pay attention to naming trends think of names like [name]Avery[/name] and [name]Addison[/name] as fresh, interesting names for girls, but people who are very interested in names tend to be turned off by the rush of popularity.

If you’re currently deciding between these two names, my advice as a name nerd would be [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Kate[/name], or even [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name], 100%. But if you don’t mind the trendiness (which I should stress isn’t necessarily a bad thing) then don’t worry about it - [name]Avery[/name] [name]Claire[/name] is a nice name too.

Good luck!

I’m not a fan of genderbending names, so I prefer [name]Adeline[/name]. I think [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Kate[/name], [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Claire[/name], or [name]Adeline[/name] [name]Paige[/name] all work very well. I don’t think and [name]Adeline[/name] would be teased. A few people might come up with that conclusion and mention it, but I don’t see anyone doing it mockingly.

I adore [name]Adeline[/name] and its one of my top contenders. I never once thought of your $9.99 thing. Also, someone can come up with a reason to “pick on” ANY name. My husband excels at this :shock: I think there is a difference between using a name like [name]Adeline[/name] (where you really have to pull at strings to find a teasing) or one like [name]Angus[/name] (a type of meat that also sounds like anus). I personally would go with the classic [name]Adeline[/name] over the trendy [name]Avery[/name].

[name]Adeline[/name] is also one of my favorites - I think it is such a sweet and feminine name. I like [name]Avery[/name] too, but not quite as much.