Adi, Addie, or other? Baby due in 3 weeks!

After tons of baby name research and discussions, I think we have decided on [name_f]Addie[/name_f] for our little girl, due next month. My husband doesn’t like any of the long forms of [name_f]Addie[/name_f], so I guess that’s the name going on the birth certificate.

Can you guys weigh in on these questions:

1. Are people going to constantly be asking if it’s short for [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_f]Adalaide[/name_f], etc?
  2. Which spelling do you like? Or is there a different spelling you like?
  3. Does anyone notice the word “die” in [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or am I obsessing from too much baby name thinking?
  4. Does the name [name_u]Adi[/name_u] look [name_f]Indian[/name_f]? Someone told me it does and this will be a blond/blue eyed baby! Lol I want an American looking name. :smiley:

[name_u]Baby[/name_u] name obsessing is making me crazy! Help!

1. They probably will ask if it’s short for something but that’s easy to correct. Simply say “Nope!” and move on.
  2. I prefer the [name_f]Addie[/name_f] spelling, it looks like a vintage classic that’s coming back into style. I also think it’s less likely to be confused with [name_u]Abby[/name_u] like [name_f]Addy[/name_f] is.
  3. I didn’t notice until you pointed it out :slight_smile:
  4. [name_u]Adi[/name_u] just looks incomplete to me. Not any specific origin, just short. I’m not used to it so it kinda looks like a typo to me and I’m not even sure what it’s supposed to be if it were a typo. Sorry. [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is prettier.

[name_f]Addie[/name_f] is very common these days, so she will most likely be asked at some point what it is short for. I much prefer [name_f]Addie[/name_f] to [name_u]Adi[/name_u]. I don’t know if it looks [name_f]Indian[/name_f], but it would look a bit kre8tiv on a blond haired blue eyed girl. I would stick with [name_f]Addie[/name_f] here. I have never noticed the “die” before, and I don’t think it’s a big deal at all. While I would prefer [name_f]Addie[/name_f] short for [name_f]Adelina[/name_f] or [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], I think it is ok on its own. Good luck!

I think [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is adorable, that spelling looks more complete. [name_u]Adi[/name_u] does look [name_f]Indian[/name_f], actually, but that might just be because I come in part from that background. I don’t notice the “die”, really, and even if you do, think about it, it’s on the end of a lot of names. [name_f]Sadie[/name_f]'s a favorite of mine and I never noticed. That might be the baby brain, don’t worry :). You have a super cute name. My other preferred spelling would be [name_f]Addi[/name_f], but it looks more like it’s short for something.

1. People are going to ask because my general experience is that most people have no manners. :slight_smile: But nicknames as names are a big trend right now, so you won’t be the only person explaining this to others and at some point, maybe people will understand that and stop asking. People name their children [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f] and [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] just to name a few, all the time.
  2. I like either [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or [name_f]Addy[/name_f] best. [name_f]Addy[/name_f] looks more “now”, [name_f]Addie[/name_f] looks more “vintage”.
  3. I don’t notice the “die” part at all But if it bothers you, go with [name_f]Addy[/name_f].
  4. Yeah, I do get a bit of a worldly feel from the spelling [name_u]Adi[/name_u], I’d avoid that.

I know you mentioned full names [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] and [name_u]Addison[/name_u] weren’t your husband’s “cup of tea”. [name_m]Just[/name_m] to be sure you’ve covered all your bases, here are some other “[name_m]Ad[/name_m]” names that could go with nickname [name_f]Addie[/name_f]. If none appeal to you, no big deal, go with [name_f]Addie[/name_f]! But best to look at all the options right?
[name_f]Ada[/name_f] nn [name_f]Addie[/name_f]
[name_u]Adair[/name_u]
[name_f]Adeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelind[/name_f]
[name_f]Adriana[/name_f]
[name_f]Adela[/name_f]
[name_f]Adele[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Adina[/name_f]
[name_f]Adira[/name_f]
[name_f]Adelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Adrienne[/name_f]
Araidne

I like the [name_f]Addie[/name_f] spelling.

Congrats! [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is very cute. If ‘die’ is bothering you, go for [name_f]Addy[/name_f]. [name_u]Adi[/name_u] I would pronounce ah-dee.

1. Most likely, [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is a very common nickname so most people will ask. [name_m]Just[/name_m] say no and that should be it.
  2. I prefer the [name_f]Addy[/name_f] spelling but only because -die endings bug me. It’s minor but enough to put me off.
  3. See number 2, lol.
  4. No…
  1. Are people going to constantly be asking if it’s short for [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_f]Adalaide[/name_f], etc? - I would assume that [name_f]Addie[/name_f] is short for [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f].
  2. Which spelling do you like? Or is there a different spelling you like? - I prefer [name_f]Addie[/name_f] over [name_f]Addy[/name_f], [name_u]Adi[/name_u], [name_f]Addi[/name_f], [name_f]Ady[/name_f] and [name_f]Adie[/name_f].
  3. Does anyone notice the word “die” in [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or am I obsessing from too much baby name thinking? - I didn’t notice it until you mentioned it.
  4. Does the name [name_u]Adi[/name_u] look [name_f]Indian[/name_f]? Someone told me it does and this will be a blond/blue eyed baby! Lol I want an American looking name. - [name_u]Adi[/name_u] is [name_m]German[/name_m] to me.

I feel personally that [name_f]Addie[/name_f] looks more like a nickname and [name_f]Addy[/name_f] looks more like a first name, but ultimately I don’t think it matters. If you husband hates all the [name_m]Ad[/name_m] names I suggest [name_f]Naiad[/name_f], which is a water spirit and I think a cute name but possible too “ethnic” for your flavor. Though I’d throw it in anyway.

I would go with the [name_f]Addie[/name_f] or [name_f]Addy[/name_f] spelling. [name_u]Adi[/name_u] is [name_m]German[/name_m] to me and pronounced [name_m]Ah[/name_m]-dee.