Adiah (A-DEE-uh)- What do you think?

I’m head over heels for the name [name]Adiah[/name]. I can’t shake it. It means “ornament of Jehovah” and feels like a significant declaration of our faith and the hope we have that our daughter will be a unique expression of God to our world. However, I worry about how the name will be recieved. . . I have a feeling most will not be able to pronounce it. I have an extremely common name, so I’m not familiar with the repercussions of possessing a name few recoginize and pronounce correctly. Should this even be a concern? Also, I worry about it looking like a made up name or seeming like a cultural mismatch particularly on a resume (we’re of Irish/Swedish decent). Should I toss it out and look for something new, or do you think it would be well recieved?? Thanks so much for your help! I truly value your opinion!

[name]Hi[/name]! I think the a-[name]DEE[/name]-uh pronunciation is very pretty, but I have to admit that with the h on the end, I pronounced it like a-DYE-uh (long I sound), because names like [name]Jeremiah[/name], [name]Josiah[/name], [name]Jedediah[/name], [name]Tobiah[/name], [name]Zachariah[/name], [name]Mariah[/name], etc., are pronounced with a long I sound, not an ee sound.

I’m only familiar with the [name]Adia[/name] spelling, and would have definitely pronounced [name]Adia[/name] as a-[name]DEE[/name]-uh.

(I thought I’d mention that Nameberry has [name]Adia[/name] listed as a variation of [name]Ada[/name], which doesn’t have the meaning you mentioned. I wanted to mention this just in case the meaning you found isn’t accurate. I hope it is though!)

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think it’s quite pretty. I think of the [name]Sarah[/name] McLachlan song [name]Adia[/name].

My namebook lists it as a variation of [name]Adia[/name] which is an English/Swahili name meaning “wealthy, prosperous” in English and “given by God” in Swahili. It is a very pretty name.

I think it’s lovely.

My daughter is almost three and she is [name]Adia[/name] pronouced how you would. I loved the meaning in Swahili - precious gift. Everyone loves her name and I have strangers say how much they love it! We call her [name]Adi[/name] or [name]Adi[/name] baby for short. Lots of people relate it to the [name]Sarah[/name] M song [name]Adia[/name] I love you. Anyways we love having an [name]Adia[/name]!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Adia[/name]. I would spell it either [name]Adia[/name], or Adiya. I’ve been trying to convince the DH to go for it for a long time. It does indeed mean G-d’s jewel in Hebrew. ([name]Adi[/name]=jewel, Ya=G-d.)

[name]Love[/name] the name. [name]Love[/name] the meaning.