Adoption advice

Note: this might not happen but I also need some advice on this for a story I am writing.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] berries.
So it is a possibility that in the future I might end up adopting one of my best friends kids.
I was just wondering if some of the berries who have adopted could give me some advice on how to raise a child you didn’t give birth to? Like what is the right age to tell them?

I’ve never adopted but have several adopted relatives in various generations. Children should be told from day 1 about their adoption. There are many books and resources for both adopters and adoptees. Your public library is a good place to start.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter was adopted. The consensus among the research on this issue is as @Schyler said: kids aren’t supposed to remember being told and it should be discussed from day 1 even if they don’t understand. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is still way too young to get it at all, but we read books and I talk to her about it. I mean, not like every single day and not really in depth yet, but we are trying to make it something that we’re open about with her and that is celebrated and we want her to feel like she’s always known.

1 Like