ADOPTION!!! Need names FAST

My husband and I are adopting 3 siblings…all girls! We need to finish the adoption paperwork in 48 hours and we had thought we wouldn’t need names until the final hearing, but as it turns out we need all the names in 2 days! ahhh! We are seriously stuck and need help.

We have two sons, [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] and [name_m]Adler[/name_m]. Before anyone comments and tells me how “offensive” the name [name_m]Cohen[/name_m] is, please don’t. It is a family name and I’ve heard about enough of that to make my head spin.

We want to give the girls names that reflect our naming style… which I would say is somewhat unisex and often what we like are last names.

The oldest girl is too old to “rename”… the younger two are very close in age and still babies. Since we are naming the younger two, we felt it important to give the oldest daughter one name from us. So either we are going to change her middle name OR give her an additional middle name. We are working with the birth mom, trying to retain some of the names she’s given the girls too.

See why we are having such a hard time completing this in 2 days?!?!

Anyway…

1.) We need a additional or different middle name for [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Jaylyn[/name_f]
She’s a very independent, strong, smart little girl… the kind of sweetness that makes everyone fall in love with her.

2.) The middle daughter is named [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_f]Jayde[/name_f]. We aren’t interested in keeping “[name_f]Jayde[/name_f]”. I don’t love “[name_f]Jordynn[/name_f]” but it was an important name to the birth mom, so we’d like to keep it in the name. Again, we are open to 2 middle names if need be.
She’s a spunky, strong willed, hilarious child :slight_smile: I’d love something with a cute, spunky nickname.

I love the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u] for her, but not sure what name it could be a nn for or how I could incorporate “[name_f]Jordynn[/name_f]” into the name as a middle.

3.) The infant is super sweet and smiley. Birth mom isn’t attached to her name at all and we’d prefer not to keep any of it…Reginea Raylynn. We would be interested in keeping “[name_f]Alivia[/name_f]” from [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f]'s name and giving it to the baby as a name her birth mom had chosen, even though it wasn’t chosen for her initially.

I love [name_u]Harper[/name_u] too. It makes me sad its gotten popular, but its the name I would’ve picked if I had had a girl with either of my pregnancies.

Sooo…help! Naming children you’ve met is actually harder than naming a baby in your belly…I wouldn’t have thought so, but it is!!

Names we like:
[name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u]
Sout
[name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_m]Lennon[/name_m]

For the eldest, [name_u]Scout[/name_u] might be a cute nickname. [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]/[name_u]Casey[/name_u] has a lot of the same sounds as [name_u]Scout[/name_u] does, so it’s a stretch but it could work.

For the middle, I’d choose [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f]. [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] has almost a masculine feel, to me, so giving her a feminine name balances out nicely.

For the youngest, I wouldn’t swap names. Once they’ve become the children’s identity, it’d feel strange to me giving the name from one to the other. I’d just come up with something new entirely.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! Congratulations on your adoption! I feel like this post is a bit out of my league, but I would love to try and help at least.

1. As I understood it you are keeping [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]- [name_u]Jo[/name_u] for the eldest child? I saw you liked [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and I think it flows beautifully here. [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]- [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_u]Harper[/name_u].

2. I think [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] is a difficult name in the middle. Would you consider leaving it as a first but call the child by her middle? I love [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and I don’t think it must be a middle for something! It stands good on its own. I think [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u] works. You could also do [name_m]Lennon[/name_m] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f], even though it’s a bit clunky.

3. [name_u]Rue[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] ([name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u]?) is adorable! I do like the idea of keeping [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] even though it wasn’t intended for this child. It’s a nice gesture and then all the girls would have a name from their biological mother.

I’m not gonna suggest more names. I liked the ones you have and I don’t want to confuse you even more! This is a tricky situation. Anyways, I hope you got something from what I posted and I wish you lots of good luck ”

[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] would be cute as fn and mn.
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Makenna[/name_f]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_u]Perry[/name_u]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_u]Lane[/name_u]

[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Sydney[/name_u] [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Makenna[/name_f] [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u]
[name_u]Makenzie[/name_u] [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u]
[name_f]Zara[/name_f] [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u]

[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_u]Delaney[/name_u] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_u]Remi[/name_u] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_f]Annika[/name_f] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_f]Danica[/name_f] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_u]Remi[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Asha[/name_f] [name_u]Ray[/name_u]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_u]Rue[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

[name_u]Ashton[/name_u]
[name_u]Aspen[/name_u]
[name_f]Astrid[/name_f]
[name_u]Ainsley[/name_u]
[name_f]Ansley[/name_f]
[name_f]Becca[/name_f]
[name_u]Blake[/name_u]
[name_u]Blaine[/name_u]
[name_m]Breck[/name_m]
[name_u]Brooke[/name_u]
[name_f]Daria[/name_f]
[name_u]Denny[/name_u]
[name_u]Eden[/name_u]
[name_f]Freya[/name_f]
[name_u]Harley[/name_u]
[name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Lucy[/name_f]
[name_u]Marley[/name_u]
[name_u]Morgan[/name_u]
[name_f]Zoe[/name_f]
[name_f]Tabitha[/name_f]
[name_u]Reagan[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u]

I think we are leaning toward [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] for the infant…

Would really like nn or name for middle girl to be [name_u]Scout[/name_u]…just not sure how to get it in there! thanks for the suggestions!

First off, how old is [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]? Is she old enough to recognize her name or old enough as in she can has an opinion on her name? If it is the first option, I think you can use [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u] as a nickname.

Second, what about changing the spelling? As an example, I think [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Regina[/name_f] (from Reginea) is very pretty.

[name_u]Kasey[/name_u] [name_m]Lennon[/name_m]
[name_u]Kasey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_m]Lennon[/name_m]
[name_u]Casey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]
[name_u]Casey[/name_u] [name_f]Joan[/name_f]
[name_f]Cassia[/name_f] [name_f]Joan[/name_f]

[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]/[name_f]Livia[/name_f] [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f]
[name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f]

[name_u]Rue[/name_u] [name_u]Sullivan[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Regina[/name_f]

For the record, I’d be very hesitant to rename (in terms of the name you will call them and put on their artwork) any child older than a year or so. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if the younger kids can adjust quickly, it might be confusing for the older child to suddenly have her sibling called something else. In the case of the older child, I might change her middle name, but I’d leave the first as is. Or maybe just [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or something akin to that. Maybe [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]?

With [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f], maybe just take off the extra n and use [name_u]Jordyn[/name_u] or [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]. Or maybe something very similar in sound like [name_f]Georgia[/name_f].

With the baby, maybe enlist the help of the oldest sibling. [name_u]Rain[/name_u] or [name_f]Raina[/name_f] might be a nice derivative of the names she already has.

Oldest darling: Miss [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_m]Lennon[/name_m] (In order to go with the other girls names, I suggest you drop the hyphen. You could still call her [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u], but it wouldn’t be as odd since [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u] is technically one name, so she would have less names than her sisters.)
Second darling: [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u] (I’ve always thought [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is a perfect nn for [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f]. If you don’t like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f], the I suggest [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u].)
[name_m]Little[/name_m] darling: [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u]

I have been sitting here wracking my brain about names and I don’t know why I didn’t think about this earlier, but I would really love to reference a part of my maternal grandmother’s name in the oldest daughter’s name. My grandmother was the oldest of 3 girls who were orphaned when she was 5 years old. It just hit me that its a beautiful “coincidence” (I don’t actually believe in coincidence) that we are adopted 3 girls, the oldest of whom is 5. The fact that my grandmother was orphaned and never adopted is one of the things that has made adoption something I have wanted to do.

My grandmother had a very odd first name: Clydella (don’t think I want to use that!) but I love her middle name… [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. The only thing is [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] doesn’t sound good. I would love to use a name that references [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] either in sound or meaning. I love [name_f]Margot[/name_f] , but obviously [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Margot[/name_f] isn’t going to work :wink: My grandmother’s maiden name was Waters… so I could also see using a name with a water meaning.

I really like [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u] :slight_smile:

Still trying to think through the [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] names. We like [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] (the sound of it) but really want the baby to have a name from their mom too and I just can’t do [name_f]Jayde[/name_f] (you know those names that make you think of someone you don’t care for? that’s jayde for me)

Ok… thanks for all of the help!

Also we have discussed the change of middle name/additional middle name with the oldest daughter and she likes the idea of us giving her a name too. We have a good relationship with their birth mom…she’s even taking our last name in the adoption.

For the first one, I agree with whats been said before and unhyphenate the name [name_u]Kacey[/name_u]-[name_u]Jo[/name_u] to [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]. Also, You could lengthen [name_u]Jo[/name_u] to [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] or [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]. For number two, I would just keep [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] as the first name but spell it [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]. And for number three, I would use [name_u]Harper[/name_u] or [name_m]Lennon[/name_m] as the first name.

This way all the girls have unisex first names.

#1-
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Joanna[/name_f]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Jolene[/name_f]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Joceline[/name_f]

#2-
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Aaliyah[/name_f]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Amira[/name_f]
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Bayo[/name_f]

#3-
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Regina[/name_f]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Rue[/name_u]
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Riley[/name_u] / [name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_u]Harper[/name_u]
[name_u]Riley[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_m]Lennon[/name_m] [name_u]Harper[/name_u]

Others might disagree, but I don’t see any problem with fixing the spelling, even of the oldest child’s name, as long as you maintain the same sound. Then adding a mn that’s more your style and that will give the child more options when she gets older seems appropriate. But completely changing any of the names seems likely to bring confusion and possibly, later, engender resentment.

I think it’s important to leave a bit of the infant daughter’s own birth name and not use her older sister’s. It is part of her identity, even if it isn’t your style, and may be important to her to have a bit of that original name someday. What about [name_u]Rae[/name_u] / [name_u]Ray[/name_u], [name_f]Regina[/name_f], [name_f]Rhea[/name_f], [name_f]Ginny[/name_f], [name_f]Lynne[/name_f], or [name_f]Raelyn[/name_f] (different spelling) for a middle name or second middle?

[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] is beautiful!

You have many lovely suggestions! The only thing that I would advise–having adopted myself–is keeping a name for infant, or a variant of the name. Yes, I realize that the names don’t mean much to their birthmother…but when she is older, she is likely to hear what her and her sister’s names were, and which ones were kept that their birthmother gave them. At that point she will likely wish she also had a name (or variant) that her birthmother gave her, just like her sisters do.

Congrats on the adoption. What a blessing!

That is such a beautiful coincidence re. your grandmother! There are so many variations and nicknames of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], maybe you can find a different one that will work!

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]
[name_f]Marge[/name_f]
[name_f]Margot[/name_f]
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f]
[name_f]Meg[/name_f]
[name_f]Madge[/name_f]
[name_f]Marjorie[/name_f] (and variations)
[name_f]Marguerite[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f]
etc.

Eldest: I agree with the people who have said it would be nice to lengthen [name_u]Jo[/name_u] to [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] and calling the oldest girl [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] (nn [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u])
[name_f]Maya[/name_f] has the meaning ‘water’ and [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Maya[/name_f] is pretty, though I’m not sure how well it flows?

Middle: I would change the spelling of [name_f]Jordynn[/name_f] to [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] and maybe keep that as the first name.
[name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]?
[name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]?

Youngest: I think [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u] is beautiful, and I don’t normally like the name [name_u]Harper[/name_u], but it might be nice for her to have some part of the name her birth mother gave her so maybe [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Regina[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u]?

EDIT - I don’t know if it has been mentioned already but I just thought of Scout Olivia Jordan for the middle daughter?
I also second the suggestion of Pearl as a middle name for Kacey Jo - Kacey Josephine Pearl
Or what about Greta?

What about Casey Josephine Pearl, Casey Jocelyn Pearl, or Casey Jo Pearl for the oldest? Margaret means pearl, so it’d honor your gran perfectly.

I suggest Casey instead of Kacey if she can’t spell her name yet, simply because its surnamey unisex style seams to fit better with your sons. And, having a traditionally-spelled name does make a better first impression. So in your shoes, I’d switch Kacey to Casey, Jordynn to Jordan, Alivia to Livia or Olivia, etc.

Jordan also suits the unisex style, especially if you don’t mind the name. Jordan Olivia Scout, or Scout Olivia Jordan. Scout is awfully sweet; I’d probably go for Scout and use Jordan as a middle if you love it, especially if the birthmother wants Jordynn instead of Jordan.

Harper Regina Rue would work well for the smiley baby. I think if it were me being renamed, keeping a piece of my own name would be more meaningful than keeping some of my sister’s name.
Clementine Regina Rue is a gorgeous name, though it isn’t surnamey like the other choices, and if you truly prefer Olivia on the wee one then Clementine Olivia Rue is a lovely name.

Cohen, Adler, Casey, Scout and Harper. I like it. Congratulations on the adoption, and please keep us posted on what you choose!

I second this.

I feel [name_u]Harper[/name_u] and [name_u]Scout[/name_u] in one family would be a little too “To Kill A Mockingbird”. If this doesn’t bother you then go for it.

Oldest: [name_f]Mae[/name_f] is a nn for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] so you could use that.
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Josephine[/name_f]
[name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_f]Joanna[/name_f] [name_f]Margo[/name_f]

Middle:
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_u]Sawyer[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_u]Piper[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_u]Sloane[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_u]Ellis[/name_u] [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]
[name_u]Sutton[/name_u] [name_u]Rue[/name_u] [name_u]Jordan[/name_u]

Youngest: You could use [name_f]Nina[/name_f] for [name_f]Regina[/name_f].
[name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_f]Regina[/name_f] [name_f]Mae[/name_f]
[name_u]Mica[/name_u]/[name_u]Micah[/name_u] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u] [name_u]Harper[/name_u] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_f]Ginny[/name_f] [name_u]Scout[/name_u]
[name_u]Rory[/name_u] [name_f]Nina[/name_f] [name_f]Clementine[/name_f]

I’d embrace [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] as working pretty well with your unisex, surname-y style.

1. [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Marguerite[/name_f] or [name_u]Kacey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u] [name_f]Pearl[/name_f] work well to honour [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. I also like [name_f]Megan[/name_f], but sometimes I think I am the last living person who does?
  2. [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] or [name_u]Jordan[/name_u] [name_f]Alice[/name_f]. [name_f]Alivia[/name_f] to [name_f]Livia[/name_f] or [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] is tempting.
  3. I would keep [name_u]Ray[/name_u] or [name_u]Rae[/name_u] from her birthname to use as a middle. It is spunky and it goes. And it is a connection to her mother. [Something] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] also goes really well with [name_u]Kasey[/name_u] [name_u]Jo[/name_u]. If you really hate [name_u]Rae[/name_u], this is where I’d use [name_u]Rue[/name_u].
    [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] - keeps the alliteration while giving it a more grounded feel.
    [name_u]Vesper[/name_u] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
    [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u] (some people think [name_f]Tamsin[/name_f] sounds too masculine, I think it’s just nicely tailored and crisp)
    [name_f]Thomasin[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
    [name_f]Erin[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
    [name_f]Xanthe[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]
    [name_f]Noa[/name_f] [name_u]Rae[/name_u]

I think taking a name from the middle daughter and giving it to the youngest is awful. I’m sorry. I’m not trying to be mean, I swear. I just think this is a terrible idea. If you want the youngest girl to have a name from her mom, then keep one of her names, even if it’s moved to a second-middle spot. Or spell one of her misspelled names correctly. Or, as another poster suggested, let the older girls choose a name for her.

As for the oldest girl, I would ask her what she wants her name to be and then I would compromise with her to find a name you can all agree on. She should very much be a part of this decision. She’s already facing so many changes in her life and must feel so out of control. This is a good way to give her some control back.