Adult Berries Book Club

Would anyone like to join an book club for adult berries? (Teens are welcome, too, if you are interested in the book being discussed!)

If so, please comment below so that I know if this idea is any good, and if you have any book suggestions for our first discussion, I would love to hear them! I figure we can have a Book of the Month. At the beginning of each month, we will choose a book, and we can have an ongoing discussion about it throughout the next four weeks.

7 Likes

I’d be intersted! [name_u]Love[/name_u] nothing more than long winded conversations about books.

I don’t know how into classics other people are/how interested anyone would be in reading them, but picking at least some books that are public domain & available online for free might help more people to be able to participate? Since access to libraries can be difficult right now & buying a book a month could be too intense (I have an ereader and can often pick up books relatively cheaply, but don’t know how many people are in the same situation).

2 Likes

I’d do it! [name_m]Can[/name_m]’t promise I’d manage it every week - being a teacher is strange at the moment! But I need to get back on reading.

1 Like

books that are public domain & available online for free

Not an adult, but I would highly recommend openlibrary.org for this undertaking. You can just create a free account. It doesn’t have everything (newer books tend to not be there, very popular books are almost always checked out, and they don’t usually have books that didn’t sell well or are quite niche) but there’s a sweet spot of books they tend to have, and it’s very useful for those ones!

2 Likes

I would be interested! Definitely agree that public domain works are best.

1 Like

I’d love this!

1 Like

This is a great idea :blush:

1 Like

Yes please. Although I am also a bit of a film nerd and a new trailer had come out for [name_u]Dune[/name_u], which looks awesome and has inspired me to want to read the book! Being an 80s child my dad would make me watch [name_u]Dune[/name_u] ( [name_m]David[/name_m] lynch version) and I’d always fall asleep lol.

3 Likes

Does anyone have any book ideas? [name_f]Do[/name_f] we want to go classic or more modern?

Would absolutely love to join this!!!

Maybe we could switch it up between classics and more modern ones? I love both options though, so either way, I’m in! :blush:

2 Likes

Sounds fun to me! I tend to like more modern books, usually slanting a little young adult/new adult, but I’m open to lots of genres. There are many classic novellas I read in college that I really enjoyed.

3 Likes

Sounds like a great idea! Not sure I will be able to participate on a regular basis, I have a lot of reading to do, but I’d love to join.

How about Ulysses? I just finished it and I’m very, very impressed. [name_u]Haven[/name_u]’t read such an enjoyable book for years, and it’s not as difficult as they say it is. Another option might be Infinite Jest by [name_m]David[/name_m] [name_m]Foster[/name_m] [name_u]Wallace[/name_u], but it’s a long one.

1 Like

I was just looking around for lists of books that have recently entered the public domain (so from the early 1920s) and found some of the works highlighted here intriguing: https://bookriot.com/public-domain-books-2019/

Are others seeing works there they might feel like reading? [name_f]Willa[/name_f] [name_f]Cather[/name_f] and [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u] caught my eye, as well as the various short story collections. (The article uses sponsored Amazon links but you should be able to find all or most of the ebooks for free).

2 Likes

Ooh, or something [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u]!

1 Like

A lot of those look great! The only one I’ve read is Murder on the Links. A Lost [name_f]Lady[/name_f] and A [name_m]Son[/name_m] at the Front look especially good!

2 Likes

I love [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] as well!

2 Likes

I’d be interested in both of those as well!

2 Likes

The only [name_f]Shirley[/name_f] [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] I have read is We Have Always Lived in the Castle.

3 Likes

I’ve read all of her works, as I’m a massive fan, but I would love to read them again!

2 Likes

Shirley [name_u]Jackson[/name_u] sounds like a great choice!

1 Like