Advice for first baby's name if a boy!

[name]Hi[/name] everyone,
We are expecting our first child and neither my partner or I can decide on a name we both agree on. So I was hoping for some good advice from you all :slight_smile:

Our last name is two syllables and is very ordinary where we live, it ends with -on e.g. like [name]Robson[/name]. So because it ends in a -on sound, that rules out names like [name]Hudson[/name], [name]Orson[/name], [name]Grayson[/name], [name]Benton[/name], etc. We are hoping to find three names, one first and two middles, so the other issue is we have to be careful the three/four initials don’t spell out anything that will get the child teased later on! (Last name starts with a T). We’d prefer to have a first name that did’t start with a T.

We’d prefer more unusual or less common names, and also those with no religious roots or meanings ideally (although if it was a great name we fell in love with I would make an exception there). I am hoping to have a J initial in there somewhere to honor my grandfather, but we can’t have [name]Jon[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Jonah[/name], [name]Jude[/name], [name]Justin[/name], [name]Jordan[/name], [name]Jeremy[/name], or [name]Joseph[/name]/[name]Joe[/name] for various reasons.

Here are some we are considering so far to give you an idea of our taste:

[name]Everett[/name]
[name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Berenger[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Jex[/name]
[name]Orson[/name] (though this one is out unfortunately due to -on ending)
[name]Jasper[/name] (like this but i am a bit worried the Twilight saga will make it very popular)
[name]Cooper[/name] (like this but it is very popular where we live so I probably wouldn’t use it)
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Leon[/name]
[name]Otis[/name]

I like a lot of other more common names too, but because I work in education I have known so many children with these names that I can’t help but have the association. Also sadly a lot of friends/family have already taken other names I like. I have always liked the name [name]Oscar[/name] but a friend has a son with this name so I cannot use it now :frowning:

If anyone has any comments about the above list, any suggested combinations of three names, or any other suggestions of names then I would really appreciate it :slight_smile: Thanks

Overall, I love your list!

[name]Everett[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this name. [name]Haven[/name]'t met a young [name]Everett[/name], and would love to hear it used.
[name]Bennett[/name]: This is my last name, actually…I like it, though, because it’s an interesting way to get to [name]Ben[/name].
[name]Spencer[/name]: Not my favorite, but it’s definitely a great name. Can’t really go wrong with it.
[name]Evander[/name]: Not my style, I think because it reminds me of the word “invader” but that’s pretty irrational. I don’t know. I can appreciate that it’s a cool name, you know?
[name]Berenger[/name]: This just seems like too much of a last name to me.
[name]Atticus[/name]: [name]Love[/name] love love this. It’s a great, strong name with a great namesake and it sounds cool. I think it’s perfect.
[name]Jex[/name]: I feel like this is incomplete and would be a much better middle name. Also it rhymes with sex and I’m immature sometimes.
[name]Orson[/name]: It’s cool, but if it’s too much with your last name I wouldn’t, unfortunately.
[name]Jasper[/name]: Great name with a great history. I wouldn’t worry too much about Twilight. I didn’t even know it was a Twilight name (but I’m a guy in my 30s and not a teenage girl, so…)
[name]Cooper[/name]: I don’t really like this one. Not sure why.
[name]Felix[/name]: [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Leon[/name]: [name]Love[/name] this one too.
[name]Otis[/name]: Not a fan. I just don’t think it has an attractive sound.

I’d go with [name]Everett[/name], [name]Atticus[/name], [name]Felix[/name], or [name]Leon[/name]. But honestly you have so many great options. Good luck!

My vote is for [name]Spencer[/name]. To me, the clean, crispness of the ‘en’ sound matches up nicely with the ‘on’ ending on your surname.

I really like [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Orson[/name] [name]Felix[/name] T.

I wouldn’t worry about [name]Jasper[/name] becoming too popular because of Twilight. I think it’s a name someone will either love or not regardless.

[name]Everett[/name] - I love [name]Everett[/name]; I love nicknames [name]Ever[/name], Rev, and [name]Rhett[/name]. I love how it can be so many things at once: mildly fusty; British gentleman; rough-and-tumble pioneer [name]Americana[/name].
[name]Bennett[/name] - I really like [name]Bennett[/name], too. I think it is softer without being feminine. I like [name]Ben[/name] as a nickname, but don’t think it needs one.
[name]Spencer[/name] - I really love [name]Spencer[/name], too. Crisp, young but mature, high-energy.
[name]Evander[/name] - [name]Little[/name] sci-fi for me (though I know it has roots). I prefer [name]Evan[/name].
[name]Berenger[/name] - Too surnamey for me, too.
[name]Atticus[/name] - [name]Little[/name] bit hipster, but I do so love the namesake. It’s still fairly uncommon, though it is charging up the rankings.
[name]Jex[/name] - I agree this doesn’t seem like a full name.
[name]Jasper[/name] - Meh, Twilight. I think it has enough history to be not “a Twilight name” but I understand your concern. Definitely fits your hope for a J name, so I like this option.
[name]Cooper[/name] - if you say you probably won’y use it, I think that is a good reason to scratch it :slight_smile:
[name]Felix[/name] - I like it: spritely and fun and unusual
[name]Leon[/name] - I like this, too, though its ending would be a little like your LN’s so I don’t know…
[name]Otis[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t really dig [name]Otis[/name]. I think of the dog from [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Otis[/name]. And of dogs generally. I find it an awkward-sounding name.

I think [name]Everett[/name] [name]Jasper[/name] or [name]Everett[/name] [name]Felix[/name], [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] or [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Leon[/name] or [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Bennett[/name], and [name]Jasper[/name] [name]Bennett[/name] all sound nice. You might also consider:

[name]James[/name] (nn [name]Jem[/name], [name]Jim[/name], or [name]Jamie[/name] if you don’t want just [name]James[/name])
[name]Jenson[/name]/[name]Jensen[/name]
[name]Jesse[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Josiah[/name]
[name]Julian[/name] or [name]Julius[/name]
[name]Judson[/name]
[name]Barrett[/name]/[name]Barratt[/name] (like [name]Bennett[/name] and [name]Berenger[/name]; love nn [name]Bear[/name])
[name]Gage[/name]
[name]West[/name] or [name]Weston[/name]
[name]Stellan[/name]
[name]Silas[/name] or [name]Cyrus[/name]
[name]Thatcher[/name]
[name]Foster[/name] (nn [name]Fox[/name]?)
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Bryce[/name]
[name]Trace[/name]
[name]Channing[/name] or [name]Banning[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Brooks[/name]
[name]Otto[/name] (like [name]Otis[/name] or [name]Oscar[/name])

[name]Jonty[/name]
[name]Hagan[/name]
[name]Clint[/name]
[name]Xavier[/name]
[name]Dexter[/name] nn [name]Dex[/name]
[name]Maxim[/name] nn [name]Max[/name]
[name]Joshua[/name]
[name]Joel[/name]
[name]Jayce[/name]
[name]Jaden[/name]
[name]Jethro[/name]
[name]Jed[/name]
[name]Jesse[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] nn [name]Ollie[/name]
[name]Benjee[/name] ([name]Benji[/name])
[name]Elijah[/name]
[name]Bjorn[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Jaxon[/name]

Sorry if some were already mentioned :slight_smile:

Some cool names in there.
[name]Evander[/name] is a personal favorite. Strong, intelligent, historic, ancient, great mythological character. Nothing even slightly negative I can find to say about it. [name]One[/name] of the few perfect names out there according to me ([name]Amias[/name]/[name]Caius[/name]/Caian/[name]Emrys[/name]/[name]Zamir[/name] are my other personal ‘perfect’ name favorites).
[name]Atticus[/name], [name]Orson[/name], [name]Jasper[/name], [name]Felix[/name] and [name]Everett[/name] are also of a high awesome caliber.
The only name I really don’t like from your list is [name]Jex[/name].

Here’s a few others for consideration:
[name]Elliott[/name]
[name]Ellery[/name]
[name]Ellis[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Gareth[/name]
[name]Conall[/name]
[name]Leo[/name]
[name]Leonidas[/name]
[name]Lionel[/name]
[name]Salman[/name]/[name]Solomon[/name]
[name]Eamon[/name]
[name]Celio[/name]
[name]Jaron[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]
[name]Oswin[/name]
[name]Roscoe[/name]
[name]Destry[/name]
[name]Oberon[/name]/[name]Auberon[/name]
[name]Desmond[/name]
[name]Osias[/name]
[name]Lucius[/name]
[name]Alaric[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Emrys[/name]
[name]Roland[/name]
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Marcellus[/name]
[name]Cordell[/name]
[name]Brogan[/name]
[name]Audric[/name]
[name]Altair[/name]
[name]Alton[/name]
[name]Adair[/name]
[name]Theron[/name]

[name]Hi[/name]
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions. After debate it is looking like we will choose [name]Spencer[/name] or possibly [name]Jasper[/name] as a first name. I really love [name]Atticus[/name] but my partner thinks it is “trying too hard” so have had to let that one go sadly…he also doesn’t like the way [name]Felix[/name] sounds when you say it, while I think it is lovely.

Any preferences on the combination of these names:

[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Atticus[/name] [name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jack[/name] [name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Orson[/name] [name]Bennett[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Orson[/name] [name]Everett[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jack[/name] [name]Everett[/name]

is it too much for the third name to end with a T if last name starts with a T?

Another question, my partner would like me to use [name]Herbert[/name] as a third name (his grandfather’s name) it’s really not my taste at all - but what do you think about using [name]Bert[/name] or [name]Bertie[/name] as a third name? Any thoughts about alternatives to [name]Herbert[/name] such as [name]Bertram[/name]?

This baby naming business is much harder than I thought it would be!
Thanks, J