Advice needed: first name for middle name Dalia

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all, I would really appreciate some advice on this!
[name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I are expecting our first baby and are finding out the gender next week. If it’s a boy, we have a name picked out. If it’s a girl, we would really like to use the middle name [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] (pronounced Doll-ya) to honor my husband’s mother, who passed away in a car accident before I ever met him. This would also be the first grandchild for my husband’s parents.
[name_f]My[/name_f] top girl name for the last several years has been [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], and surprisingly my husband loves it too so we’ve had no issues, haha. [name_f]My[/name_f] question is, is the combination “Audrey Dalia” too much “D” sound? It just feels/sounds like something about the combination is off, or maybe it’s just that it doesn’t flow well.
The only other first name we’ve been able to agree on is [name_f]Naomi[/name_f], also with middle name [name_f]Dalia[/name_f]. I feel like the flow of [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] is way better, but I still really prefer [name_f]Audrey[/name_f], and our top boy name is [name_u]Owen[/name_u], so if we use [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] now and then our 2nd child is a boy we probably won’t be able to use [name_u]Owen[/name_u] because the sound is too close to [name_f]Naomi[/name_f].
Maybe I’m just overthinking everything and should just go ahead and use [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] if we have a girl? Any thoughts are much appreciated!

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] is lovely. The family connection is worth sacrificing a tiny bit of flow. Also, I don’t think [name_f]Naomi[/name_f] and [name_u]Owen[/name_u] are too close at all for siblings :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

[name_u]Ive[/name_u] only is said as Dal-ya or Dal-lee-ah

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] is beautiful! I love the repeating D sound but maybe what you’re reacting to is both names starting with the same long-A vowel sound. I think that’s all a matter of taste, but if I was in your position the huge significance of [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] and your love for the name [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] would make it more than worth it. There are so many people whose first and last names have the same slight rhyme—think [name_f]Tara[/name_f] [name_u]Parker[/name_u], [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Harrison—and no one really notices, despite first and last being used together all the time, unlike first and middle.

2 Likes

I’ve heard different pronunciations as well, this is just how his mom’s name was pronounced and how her family still says it!

audrey dalia is lovely!! utterly beautiful, and i love the honor. :heartpulse: naomi and owen, too, i don’t find too close for siblings— audrey, naomi, and owen are a dream.

1 Like

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] sounds good to me! Stylish, sleek and cool! And fun to say :slight_smile: And honestly, I think having a first name you both truly love, and being able to use the important honour outweighs having the absolute perfect flow

1 Like

[name_f]Audrey[/name_f] [name_f]Dalia[/name_f] is great!

1 Like

I think the honor middle is perfect, and if [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] is your favorite name and he loves it too, that’s what you should use. A great flow is nice, but it’s secondary to something meaningful.

1 Like