Advice on boys names

My husband and I would like to choose a boys name that is not too popular and a little different. My father-in-law gave our baby (we don’t know the sex yet- but I think it’s a boy) the nickname of Roo (boy) [name]Rue[/name] (girl) as I am an aussie and he thought it would be a cute nickname! These are the boys names we are liking:
[name]Roux[/name]- (found it under character /tv/movie names)
[name]Shepherd[/name]
[name]Breccan[/name]
[name]Kitt[/name]
[name]Trey[/name]
[name]Judson[/name]
[name]August[/name]
[name]Indio[/name]
[name]Kai[/name]
Neri
[name]Audon[/name]

My favorites on your list are [name]Indio[/name] and [name]August[/name]. Really nuts about both of them!

From your list, I’m really digging: [name]Shepherd[/name], [name]August[/name], [name]Indio[/name], [name]Kai[/name] & [name]Audon[/name].

[name]Audon[/name]'s pretty neat sounding. I’d rather the [name]Auden[/name] spelling. Looks a bit snappier. I really like the [name]Audie[/name] possibility! [name]Shepherd[/name]'s neat in a occupational sort of way. [name]Shep[/name]'s kind of cuddly. [name]Indio[/name]'s cool. :slight_smile: [name]August[/name] & [name]Kai[/name] are almost mainstream compared to the other three. I like them all!

My favorites from your list are [name]Shepherd[/name], [name]Judson[/name] and [name]Indio[/name]. [name]Audon[/name] with an o throws me, but I adore [name]Auden[/name] for a boy. [name]Indio[/name] feels best for a saucy half-Aussie. :wink:

I really like [name]Auden[/name] spelled with an “e”. Very handsome!

I love [name]August[/name] and [name]Shepherd[/name].

[name]Trey[/name] and [name]Kai[/name] if its a boy. [name]Skip[/name] the [name]Audon[/name] and its variations. Its been nauseatingly overdone

[name]Kerry[/name], I have to ask, where has [name]Audon[/name] & variants been ‘overdone’? I’ve never seen it used, myself. Heard of it a few times, sure but nothing like [name]Aidan[/name]! In fact, SSA here in the states can’t find [name]Audon[/name], [name]Auden[/name] or Audin anywhere in the top 1000, of any year. So, I’m curious as to where it has been overdone?

I’ve only heard of [name]Auden[/name] once on a little neighbor boy. I think it sounds very fresh and has a literary connection to the poet [name]Auden[/name].

I think [name]Noah[/name] [name]Wylie[/name] has a daughter named [name]Auden[/name], and one of my favorite writers, [name]Adam[/name] Gopnik, has a son named [name]Luke[/name] [name]Auden[/name], but off the top of my head, I can’t think of any others. I think it’s a fresher alternative to [name]Austin[/name].

The little neighbor boy’s nanny calls him “Auten”, so for a long time I thought his name was [name]Austen[/name]. So I called him [name]Austen[/name], but then the nanny corrected me and said his name was “Auten”. Finally I figured out it was [name]Auden[/name].

Thanks for the input! After reading your posts, I much prefer the spelling of [name]Auden[/name] to [name]Audon[/name]. Nothing really excites me yet, I hope 1 of them will grow on me soon. I guess we have got until [name]July[/name] to make up our mind. My husband likes [name]Shepherd[/name] the most so far and possibly [name]Roux[/name], but we feel this name could be conducive to a lot of explaining and criticism. I am worried we are going to end up being the couple with the un-named baby for a week…

[name]Roux[/name] is creative, but there’s two problems for me: it’s the French word for a redhead, so to my ear it sounds a little odd, like naming your baby [name]Red[/name]. The second thing that comes (immediately) to mind is gumbo roux. I think it’s an adorable nickname, but I’d be very hesitant about using it as his “real” name! I mean, if my 50-year-old accountant’s name was [name]Roux[/name], that would strike me as rather odd.

I know how you feel, with my boys, I knew their names the instant they were born, my daughter, conversley, took two days to name!
I’'m going to suggest going to Nymbler: http://www.nymbler.com/
and typing in a few names you like and then clicking ‘Boys’ to see what similar things come up. It can’t hurt any and it’s a great way to get exposed to new names you might never have come across otherwise. I’ve found some awesome names there.

My favourite is [name]August[/name] nn [name]Gus[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Roux[/name]- is a sauce?

[name]Roux[/name]'s a sauce: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/roux

I like [name]Breccan[/name], which you mentioned in your first post, maybe spelled Brecken. Some other possibilities:
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
Dechlan
[name]Lachlan[/name] (as an Aussie though, I dont know if this will remind you of [name]Lachlan[/name] Murdoch and if that is a good/bad thing…)
[name]Killian[/name]
[name]Colby[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]

I like the spelling [name]Auden[/name] too btw. Best of luck! :slight_smile:

I like [name]Breccan[/name], which you mentioned in your first post, maybe spelled Brecken. Some other possibilities:
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
Dechlan
[name]Lachlan[/name] (as an Aussie though, I dont know if this will remind you of [name]Lachlan[/name] Murdoch and if that is a good/bad thing…)
[name]Killian[/name]
[name]Colby[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]

[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
Dechlan
[name]Killian[/name]
[name]Colby[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]

[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Landon[/name]
Dechlan
[name]Killian[/name]
[name]Colby[/name]
[name]Camden[/name]