Advices and impressions about potential name.

Hello! I am expecting a baby boy and I am in love with a name : [name_u]Tate[/name_u].

I was looking for a not-too-popular one-syllable name and I fell for it.

I discovered it through the show American Horror [name_u]Story[/name_u] and I grew to like it. I love the sound of it.

But I am quite hesitant about the associations that people might make.

I am british and some people around me said that it sounded “too american” and that it made them think of the [name_u]Tate[/name_u] Modern Museum.

And also, I come from a french family and “tate” is a synonym to “touch” in french.

I would like advices to help me decide, I don’t want to regret it later and make my son’s childhood miserable because of his name.

I think [name_u]Tate[/name_u] is nice. However, if you’re already hesitant on it, maybe look for similar names? Or have [name_u]Tate[/name_u] as a middle name?

[name_m]How[/name_m] about…
[name_m]Luke[/name_m]
[name_u]Seth[/name_u]
[name_m]Ike[/name_m]
[name_m]Todd[/name_m]
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m]
[name_u]Jude[/name_u]
[name_u]Trace[/name_u]
[name_u]Glenn[/name_u]
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_m]Keith[/name_m]
[name_m]Tad[/name_m]
[name_m]Nate[/name_m] (very similar to [name_u]Tate[/name_u])
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_m]Troy[/name_m]
[name_m]Vince[/name_m]
[name_u]Wade[/name_u]
[name_u]Shane[/name_u]
[name_u]Neil[/name_u]

[name_u]Blake[/name_u] is another name that sounds similar.

Most people I know from [name_m]Britain[/name_m] have a negative association with the [name_u]Tate[/name_u] Modern (as in, it’s not worth going). If you/your family also have a negative association with the museum, I’d suggest against [name_u]Tate[/name_u]. Otherwise, don’t let it being “too American” stop you! Great names come from all cultures.

I need to start a support group. [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f] is out for me due to that show.

I still think [name_u]Tate[/name_u] is a gorgeous name. You can’t go wrong with it.

I love [name_u]Tate[/name_u]! Go for it, it’s an awesome name and associations tend to wear away once the baby is actually born.

Personally I don’t see any big issues with [name_u]Tate[/name_u]. There’s [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] [name_u]Tate[/name_u], and the [name_u]Tate[/name_u] Modern, but neither would I consider to be a bad association.

I’m British and I’m not sure where the “too American” complaint is coming from. I’ve never thought of [name_u]Tate[/name_u] as being a stereotypically American name or anything like that. [name_u]Tate[/name_u] is an English surname if I recall correctly.

If the name has negative association for your family - I would advise you to use it as a middle name if you really want to or maybe try finding similar names ? I love the meaning cheerful and will suggest

[name_m]Asher[/name_m]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
Milorad or Radu
Shâd ( Shuh:d )
Talai

[name_u]Reed[/name_u]
[name_m]Knox[/name_m]
[name_u]Tatum[/name_u]
[name_m]Rhett[/name_m]
[name_u]Beau[/name_u]
[name_m]Zane[/name_m]
[name_u]Emmett[/name_u]
[name_m]Graham[/name_m]
[name_u]Sterling[/name_u]
[name_u]Kai[/name_u]
[name_u]Finn[/name_u]
[name_u]Easton[/name_u]
[name_m]Miles[/name_m]
[name_m]Maverick[/name_m]
[name_u]Gray[/name_u]
[name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Silas[/name_m]
[name_m]Linus[/name_m]
[name_u]Theo[/name_u]
[name_m]Griffin[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_m]Wyatt[/name_m]

I also really like [name_u]Tate[/name_u]! I have ever since there was a special effects artist named [name_u]Tate[/name_u] on “Face Off” several years ago.