Aeris

Hello Ladies,

Hubby and i have come across this pretty name, we are aware (now) that it comes from a computer game but we are nevertheless intrigued by it! So ignoring the origin of this name, what do you think of it? Other than it looking a bit like [name]Aries[/name]!

It’s totally FF for me, I prefer [name]Aerith[/name], anyway. I think it’s a bit shame that it lacks true meaning, something that I adore in names - which is my main problem with made-up names. It looks pretty but for me it’s not a real name.
I’d recommend [name]Aerin[/name], which is a variant of Hebrew names [name]Aaron[/name] or [name]Arin[/name]. It means “enlightened”.

My friends named their daughter Aeris [name]Alexandra[/name]. She just turned 2 and no one seems to have any trouble with it, pronunciation or video game wise… I think it’s a beautiful name that has a great flow and imagery. They pronounce it [name]Air[/name]-iss.

So are you also pronouncing it [name]AIR[/name]-iss? That would be my automatic assumption. I think it’s rather pretty. I don’t know of any video game association, and doubt that many people would think of it.

I do agree though that it’s really too bad that it doesn’t have any background or meaning. Those things are really important to me personally, but if it’s not a big deal to you, then I don’t see any problem with you using it!

My biggest concern now that I’ve said it out loud a few times is that it ends up sounding like heiress, which to me would be like naming a daughter princess or duchess.

[name]Hope[/name] my input helps!

Final [name]Fantasy[/name] is one of the most popular game series of all time. There’s no way the younger generation, at least, will miss the origin. I can’t ignore where it comes from, and I’ve never played the game.

I can’t get past the fact that it sounds like a phonetic spelling of heiress. I can’t imagine saying, “Hey, Aeris, can you hang out after school tomorrow?” I would feel like I was labeling her as an heiress. It’s odd for me…

That, with the FF thing, makes this one fall short in my eyes. Sorry!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

A few years back some friends of mine had a band called Aeris - but they said it more like ‘iris’. They had no end of trouble with people wondering how to pronounce it, once even getting introduced on stage as ‘arse’. Needless to say they are no longer called Aeris.

Final [name]Fantasy[/name] VII is one of the most popular games of all time. [name]Don[/name]'t use this name without expecting lots of comments about that. I also don’t like that it sounds exactly like heiress. Sorry, if it weren’t for that, I’d like it.

Thanks for all your responses really appreciate it! Yes we have been saying it as [name]Air[/name]-iss. I see your point that it could be mistaken for heiress which isn’t something i would want! I also wouldn’t want to cause our child any teasing with the whole computer game thing - however i also appreciate that not everyone will have this association - its a tough one!!! Its encouraging to see also that others are using this name without a problem. It will be staying on our list for now, i think it could be an excellent middle name. Thanks again :slight_smile:

I like the name! [name_f]My[/name_f] husband had the game when we were young, but I don’t associate the name with the video game. I actually went to school with a girl named [name_u]Aris[/name_u]. I loved her name and people usually complemented her. It was also pronounced like Air-iss