Affinity for name Cael. Your thoughts?

We are due with baby #2 on [name_u]June[/name_u] 25th and trying to settle on his name. Our daughter’s name is [name_f]Leona[/name_f].

We have both always liked the name [name_m]Cael[/name_m]. Living in [name_m]Portland[/name_m], Oregon - hippy/liberal central - I am concerned that our son will constantly hear about the vegetable ([name_m]Cael[/name_m] is pronounced [name_m]Kale[/name_m]) and it’ll be super annoying for him. We have a couple of backup names, but don’t like them nearly as much.

[name_m]How[/name_m] do you think that you’d react to a kid named [name_m]Cael[/name_m]? Would it even really stand out to you or just roll into all the alternative names out there these days? Maybe the kale fad will wain over the next few years and not even be an issue? I’ve read forums from the 2000s saying people never ran into problems with the name, but kale wasn’t so popular then.

Thanks for your POLITE feedback. :slight_smile:

I love [name_m]Cael[/name_m]. I think it is very handsome. [name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_m]Cael[/name_m]/[name_m]Cale[/name_m]/[name_u]Cal[/name_u] are pronounced the same as kale, I do not think of the name when eating kale or kale when I hear the name. There are plenty of people that adore [name_f]Violet[/name_f] when it sounds and looks very close to violent and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] when all I see and hear is scare and let. To each their own. There is not one single name out there that everyone adores.

I think [name_f]Leona[/name_f] and [name_m]Cael[/name_m] make a great sibling set.

I really love the name as well. The vegetable was my concern. All in all, I don’t think it would be a huge deal.

I think that [name_m]Cael[/name_m] is very cute! I doubt “kale” would be a problem, people have been naming their kids names that sound like other things forever ([name_f]Mary[/name_f] and “marry”, [name_u]Hunter[/name_u] and, well, hunter, etc)

He’ll probably have to spell it out for people when they assume it’s spelt [name_m]Kale[/name_m] or [name_m]Cale[/name_m], but they should catch on quickly since the name is only four letters long. Still, it might be an annoyance. I do agree with you about kale being a fad, and I expect the association will die down in a few years. I don’t think people will tease him about it, but like I said, the spelling might be an issue. [name_m]Cael[/name_m] is a nice name, though!

I immediately think of kale chips for some reason when I hear any version of this name, just can’t get on board.

My boyfriend’s brothers name is [name_m]Cale[/name_m], and I was just talking to my boyfriend about how I like the spelling [name_m]Cael[/name_m] better! Anyways, his brother has no problem with the relation to [name_m]Kale[/name_m] and I don’t think your son will either. [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_m]Cael[/name_m] and [name_f]Lenora[/name_f] together too :slight_smile:

Sorry, not a fan of [name_m]Cael[/name_m].