After cleaning up our list, these are our boy names

Or at least they could become real contenders if pointed on the right direction.

Please share your point of view!

Oscar - I wanted this one to be a contender as soon as it was suggested! but my husband didn’t want to combine it with [name_m]Felix[/name_m] because of the 70s sitcom “the odd couple”. I hadn’t heard about it and had to google it. [name_f]My[/name_f] argument was that no one would care, and many people would hardly remember that show. Certainly not by the time our sons are adults. I was proven right, and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is on the race.

Hugh- this one has his idea. [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] has been a favorite of ours, but chose to use [name_f]Margo[/name_f] for our daughter and the “go” ending eliminates is as an option. [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] is not one I would have come up with on my own, but I like it and wonder how others perceive it.

Theo- is one we kept from the old list. It’s a name that has never been far from our thoughts and the question is if we “dare” to use it. We don’t normally orbit towards nickname names, but this one is the exception to every rule! We love it as is. I guess the downside is that it also ends in “o”, like [name_f]Margo[/name_f]’s name, but it’s just one letter. So, maybe?

Oliver- another one from the original list that seems more and more appealing. It’s possible that after we got rid of other names, we noticed it more and found it more charming and soothing than ever! I also like the nickname [name_u]Ollie[/name_u]!

This baby will join siblings [name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_m]Leon[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f]. To be named [name_f]Tess[/name_f]/a if she’s a girl :partying_face:.

2 Likes

All of these would work beautifully with your sibset! Except [name_u]Theo[/name_u], because I think it’s a little too close to both [name_m]Leon[/name_m] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f].

Oliver is my favorite, but you really can’t go wrong here! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is the nicest - soft, strong and distinct from the siblings!

1 Like

Oliver is my favorite of the four names and favorite with sibling names as well. It is so charming I think.
Second choice would be [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], which is also great. I wouldn’t have thought anything about brothers named [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] & [name_m]Felix[/name_m] but haven’t seen that show. :slight_smile:

Theo I would cross off like others have said because it doesn’t stand out that well with [name_m]Leon[/name_m] & [name_f]Margo[/name_f].
[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] I think works with siblings, but I’ve never been able to really love this name. I like it on paper! But aloud, as a first name, it seems more like a sound, a noise - than a name to me. And after the movie Knives Out I now associate it with the plot twist of the movie (spoiler alert), “[name_m]Hugh[/name_m] did it…” ;/

1 Like

Oscar is my favorite! Soft, classic, and not as popular as [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]

1 Like

I like [name_m]Hugh[/name_m]. Sounds like a down to earth nice guy who dresses well and doesn’t brag about his many accomplishments.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] for you! Traditional, sophisticated and elegant yet uncommon. [name_f]My[/name_f] second favorite is the amazing [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]!

1 Like

casting a hard vote for [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]! Though I really like [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] for you as well.
[name_m]Jonas[/name_m], [name_u]Elliot[/name_u], [name_m]Felix[/name_m], [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f], and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. Loooove it.

Not sure if you have a specific middle in mind but I really like [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] or [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] as a combo (think if it were in the middle [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] wouldn’t be such an issue with [name_f]Margo[/name_f]?)

3 Likes

I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] is the nicest with your other children’s names.

And yes @brittanyanitarose I think [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Hugo[/name_m] would be really nice.

Oscar is definitely the winner for me! Second choice would be [name_u]Theo[/name_u] or [name_m]Oliver[/name_m]. I can’t say I really like [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] but I love [name_m]Hugo[/name_m]! And in terms of The Odd Couple, I agree with you - very few people will make that association.

1 Like

Oscar or [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] work best for me with your wonderfully named sibset :blush:

2 Likes

Hugh is my favorite of these. I think it’s handsome and unexpected, but still fits really nicely in your set. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] would be my second pick.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] is a cute nickname. [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] work as well.

1 Like

I love [name_m]Hugh[/name_m].

That’s my only, non-useful comment!

(I jest, all of the options are fine. I’d say [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is closer to siblings than I would like. [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] would be my second choice and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] third.)

2 Likes

Oscar feels perfect to me

1 Like

I love [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] and [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] with these! [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] gets my vote, though; I’ve never been able to completely fall in love with [name_m]Oliver[/name_m], so far that reason I prefer [name_m]Oscar[/name_m]. If it was just [name_m]Felix[/name_m] and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] I could see the concern but with so many other beautifully named siblings, I really think The Odd Couple thing is a non-issue. :slight_smile: (I think [name_m]Oliver[/name_m] might go a bit better, but only just slightly, and [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] has my heart!)

Good luck!

1 Like

Beautiful sibset! [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] fits in best imo! I’d also like to suggest [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] and [name_m]Philip[/name_m] :blush:

1 Like

Thank you so much for all the help and beautiful suggestions we’ve gotten on this thread, and the others I’ve created so far. I’m feeling very confident on [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] at the moment, but the other three still have appeal and I’m not crossing them out entirely. There’s still time to come up with more ideas to feel confused about and question every aspect of the names we like.

I’m an anxious-namer, and wish I had been here while naming our older kids :grin:. It would have been less of a struggle! I appreciate your help so much.

@may.rose, [name_m]Tobias[/name_m] is a name I adore, but feel discouraged becase it was the same ending as [name_m]Jonas[/name_m].

@ashthedreamer, thank you. That’s also a good point on favor of not fearing the Odd Couple.

@brittanyanitarose, glad to see love for [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] because I’m starting to love it. We use Hebrew names as middle names, and we haven’t brought up that part of the discussion as we haven’t nailed the first name yet, but [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] sounds adorable.

@elanorelle, I see what you mean about [name_u]Theo[/name_u]. The “eo” on [name_m]Leon[/name_m] and [name_u]Theo[/name_u] is there, we don’t consider it as bad as repeating endings or initials but it’s probably a sign to look elsehwere.

2 Likes

Your children have such wonderful names! I’ve long loved [name_f]Sylvie[/name_f] and [name_f]Margo[/name_f](t), so I was delighted to see them as sisters! And some of your sons’ names were on my long list for boys!

I agree with many of the other commenters here- [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] seems to be the best fit with your family, and I would have never thought of “The Odd Couple” reference (for context, I’m in my 30s living in NY).

Some thoughts on the other names, which are also lovely:

Theo- I don’t think it’s much of a nickname anymore as more people use it as a first name, officially or unofficially. But I do appreciate your preference to keep your name endings different and impressed you’ve managed to do that with so many great names. It’s not a total deal-breaker, but you’ve done so well in choosing distinct yet charming names for your crew, that I would like to see you continue.

Oliver- I like the “r” ending and [name_u]Ollie[/name_u] nickname, but it’s popularity separates it from the other less common names in your family.

Hugh- Interesting idea, especially coming from [name_m]Hugo[/name_m], but I prefer two syllables with your group.

I find myself coming back to a name that ends in “r” like [name_m]Xander[/name_m], [name_u]Asher[/name_u], [name_m]Walter[/name_m], [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], or [name_m]Victor[/name_m]. Or a different ending like [name_u]Levi[/name_u], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], [name_m]Isaac[/name_m], or [name_m]Conrad[/name_m]?

1 Like

Sometimes coming up with potential middles can help to come to a decision about the first name. I know that’s something that’s helped my partner and myself when tailoring down our list.

I definitely recommend playing around with middle names for your top contenders.

1 Like