After Many Posts, We Have a List

I thought that since so many have you have been supportive during my name search these past few weeks, I’d share with you the final combos from my master list. Two of the middle names are the same as in my Top Twenty, but the combos were just too perfect to resist reusing names.

1. Bathsheba [name_f]Promise[/name_f]
Summary

Bathsheba has one of the coolest biblical stories of all time, and I sort of think she would make an amazing sister to [name_f]Hallelujah[/name_f], because of the song? [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] means “daughter of the oath,” which is where [name_f]Promise[/name_f] comes in as her middle name. There are many instances in the Bible where God told people to be patient, to be still and trust in Him, and he promised them that all had a reason and all would be rightened. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter, my [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f], would be a daughter of His and my oath to love her forever and guide her on her way. I also love [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] from the [name_m]Harding[/name_m] novel. Far From the Madding Crowd is woefully underrated.

1. Arabella [name_f]Silence[/name_f]
Summary

Arabella means “yields to prayer. This name reflects my hope that [name_f]Arabella[/name_f] could always remember that in times of great trial, if she silences the voices all around her and turns to God, He will always listen to her. [name_f]Silence[/name_f] is also my nerdy way of honoring [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Franklin[/name_m], who is one of my favorite historical figures.

1. Eudoxia [name_f]Generosity[/name_f]
Summary

I find both names in this combo quite hard to pair, but when I saw [name_f]Generosity[/name_f] and remembered [name_f]Eudoxia[/name_f]’s meaning, I knew that it was kismet. [name_f]Eudoxia[/name_f] means “good deeds,” and I love the idea that this name would be a reminder to always search for how to help others and to have a generous heart, especially towards yourself. People and women especially too often don’t give themselves the grace that they would give to others.

1. Thaddea [name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]
Summary

Thaddea is the feminine version of [name_u]Thaddeus[/name_u], meaning “gift of God.” Myrtles were written about in the Bible quite a lot, and I love that the name represents hope and renewal.

1. Hepzibah [name_f]Opal[/name_f]
Summary

I know that this name wouldn’t be the most popular choice, but the Biblical [name_f]Hepzibah[/name_f] was incredible. The name means “my delight is in her,” which is so true of a daughter. I would be delighted to ever have the blessing of a little girl. [name_f]Opal[/name_f] is from a book that I read and loved dearly, but also because of the gem itself. Opals are the gem of faithfulness.

1. Lavender [name_u]Abilene[/name_u]
Summary

Abilene means “dewy grass,” and [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] is for the flower. Both names are from cherished books in my life, Matilda and The Miraculous [name_u]Journey[/name_u] of [name_m]Edward[/name_m] Tulane. Together, this name is a combo that shows the power of God’s creation and His timing. Before the beautiful grass has grown, it was just dirt, but in time it became a meadow. Before the flower blossomed, it was buried in winter snow. But they came alive again.

1. Mercy [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]
Summary

Mercy is a word that means to forgive, to show compassion. It is one of the greatest capacities in a human being to forgive. I would want my beautiful [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] to stand up for herself and always fight for what she deserves, but to also show others compassion and understand that everyone has a story of their own, with chapters we’ll never know. [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] has been one of my most beloved names for a long time. I love the meaning, the [name_m]Longfellow[/name_m] poem, and the history of women who have worn it. It also has lovely [name_u]Christian[/name_u] significance.

1. Pollyanna [name_f]Serenity[/name_f]
Summary

Pollyanna is for the book and the film. I can’t help but smile every time I think of the titular character, who made such a difference in my life, especially when I began to struggle with depression. [name_f]Serenity[/name_f], like [name_f]Silence[/name_f], is a name that would serve as a reminder to find peace in the journey. Everything happens for a reason.

1. Lydia [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]
Summary

Even though I’m not Catholic, I love the stories of saints, and [name_m]Saint[/name_m] [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] has one of my favorites. [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] is for the light and beauty of [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] time, and my hope that my daughter always remembers to spread cheer and to remember the gift that we received in [name_m]Jesus[/name_m]’ birth.

1. Minerva Gospel
Summary

I can’t lie, [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is for the Harry [name_m]Potter[/name_m] character. I do not in any way condone or support Rowling’s recent comments about transgender people, but her novels have been such an important part of my life for so long. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] is such a beautiful name. As a combo, this name means “wise from the words of [name_m]Christ[/name_m],” and I adore that. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] grew up not to believe in Christianity or any religion at all, I think it would always ring true to remember what [name_m]Christ[/name_m] said about love.

So, there we are! Ten more combos, to go with [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f], [name_f]Cornelia[/name_f] [name_f]Promise[/name_f], [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]Boheme[/name_f], [name_f]Hosanna[/name_f] [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Heidi[/name_f] [name_f]Beloved[/name_f], [name_f]Eugenia[/name_f] [name_f]Lilac[/name_f], [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] [name_u]Harvest[/name_u], [name_f]Hallelujah[/name_f] [name_f]Liv[/name_f], [name_f]Gloriana[/name_f] [name_u]Rue[/name_u], [name_f]Claudia[/name_f] [name_f]Blessing[/name_f], and [name_f]Thessaly[/name_f] [name_u]Juniper[/name_u].

4 Likes

Yay! That’s so exciting! [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_u]Abilene[/name_u] and [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u] are glorious!

1 Like

Eudoxia [name_f]Generosity[/name_f]!!! That is fabulous!

I also love [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Gospel, [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f], and [name_f]Hepzibah[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]!

1 Like

@jonquils, I have always loved the glimpses you give us into your naming journey, because each individual name on your list is always so deeply thoughtful and considered. It reminds me of that verse about [name_f]Mary[/name_f] keeping all things and pondering them in her heart. I resonate with the way each name has layers and layers of significance to you, and I love how you form combos by stringing the names together to create daisy-chains of meaning. I also love that rather than prioritizing meaning alone, you also seek out names that are distinct and unusual so that the combos you form are truly one of a kind. Your process is inspiring! Thank you for letting us be a part of it!

4 Likes

I’m actually really loving [name_f]Hepzibah[/name_f] [name_f]Opal[/name_f]. [name_f]Hepzibah[/name_f] is a name I’ve never found appealing, but this combo is strikingly great!

Also, [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] [name_f]Promise[/name_f] is lovely. <3

1 Like

Thank you so very much! I’m so glad someone actually likes [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you! It means so much to me when people have nice things to say about the names that are on my heart.

You’ve made me tear up, dear! Thank you for your kind words. Naming, for me, is a very sacred process. I want my children to have names that are all their own. [name_m]Even[/name_m] if it’s a name that they share with other people, like [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] would, I still want the first and middle name combo to be something rather special and meaningful, so that my son or daughter always knows how loved they are. Because that’s what names are. They’re our first gift to our children.

2 Likes

Wow, thank you! I assumed [name_f]Bathsheba[/name_f] and Hapzibah would be the two most unpopular names on my list, so it warmed my heart that you liked both of them. :heart:

1 Like

I love this list! I much prefer these names to the last list I saw of yours.

I love how reverent and passionate you are about the names that mean something to you. It’s really a privilege to get to read how you feel about each one in such detail.

I am in adoration of [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f]. Such a stunning name, with a natural, glistening sound. [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] as a name works surprisingly well in the first. I’d love to meet a baby girl with this name!

Arabella [name_f]Silence[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Gospel follow closely behind. So beautiful!

Lavender is a lovely first, and [name_f]Serenity[/name_f] is gorgeous in the middle. [name_u]Abilene[/name_u] and [name_f]Pollyanna[/name_f] are not my style though, but the former two are lovely. [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_f]Serenity[/name_f] is such a pretty combo to me… ahh dreamy…

Thanks for sharing such a beautifully thought-out list!

2 Likes

Gorgeous list as ever!

1 Like

These are two of my favorites!

1 Like

I really like [name_f]Mercy[/name_f] [name_f]Evangeline[/name_f] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Gospel!

1 Like

My favorites are Thaddia (could be a [name_f]Teddi[/name_f]?) and [name_f]Mercy[/name_f].

1 Like

This is such a pretty list! I’ve always loved your combos, especially [name_f]Lucy[/name_f] [name_f]Marigold[/name_f] and [name_f]Tabitha[/name_f] [name_f]Boheme[/name_f].

My favorites from this list are [name_f]Lavender[/name_f] [name_u]Abilene[/name_u], [name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] Gospel. [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] McGonagall was my favorite character from the series, and I really love seeing this name being used.

As always, your combos gave me beautiful imagery, and each one is clearly crafted with care, and with a deeply personal sentiment and meaning behind them.

1 Like