Agapé Haven for a girl—old post, still curious on feedback

Ok so I’m not pregnant and we just had our 5th. :laughing: But I like thinking about names. :upside_down_face:

So my 2 girls are —
Amaré (Am-uh-Ray) Elyse
Sélah (Say-luh) Carys

Amaré is a Latin word meaning “to love”

Carys is Welsh word for Love.

So I want the thread of Love to carry through with any girl names. Also, a necessary (or just decorative) accent somewhere in the name.

So what do you think of Agapé for a girl? I adore the meaning of “unconditional love” but not sure if the “g” is too harsh sounding.

Ever heard of Agapé as a name?

My new favorite is Agapé Haven.

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of it as a name, but I do know of the meaning and think it’s a lovely idea. However, I think it’s likely that most people will read it as “agape” which isn’t the nicest word to have your name confused with. I also wonder if visually it’s too close to Amaré

4 Likes

Both great points!

I would probably use the accent (Agapé) which isnt official, but might cause ppl to pause at saying “agape” and instead ask how it’s pronounced (Which would be Uh-gawp-ay).

With our 5 kids names, we are used to correcting ppl, and most get it after hearing it a few times. :raised_hands:

But to your point, the word “Agape” is not a fun one to hear when your name is not that word. :grimacing:

It does look similar to Amaré when spelled with accent especially.

I was thinking of it more as a middle name. Maybe—
Hosanna Agapé
Or
Noémi Agapé

2 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

Yeah you’re absolutely right, once people are corrected you’re grand! I think I’m just thinking about the official documents etc where they never seem to allow accents (it always grinds my gears when the one for my middle name gets missed off in passports etc)

It def works as a middle and is a gorgeous continuation of the [name_u]Love[/name_u] theme

1 Like

I think it’s cute (although not really my style!) and I love the shared meanings. Perhaps it would be better as a middle or as a first but with nickname Aggie… I think [name_f]Aggie[/name_f] makes Agapé more wearable and less confusing with Amaré!

2 Likes

Agapé would make a nice middle

2 Likes

I’ve never heard of Agape as a name (though I’ve heard of the Greek word at chuch etc). The meaning is beautiful but I think the mispronunciations would be annoying. I can also see teasing potential because of the unfortunate slang meaning of gape. I would recommend it as a middle name.

1 Like

I want to say I love your children’s names!

When I saw the title I was at ‘no way’ for Agapé. I’m still having those feelings as a first name, but after seeing your theme and your other children’s names, it might be an interesting possibility as a middle name.

1 Like

Beautiful meaning. I know it as a word but I’ve never heard it as a name. I think it would make a great middle name choice as a connection to her sisters.

1 Like

Thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for your honesty! I thought that at first too, but it has become high on my list as I realized the beauty of the meaning.

Oh that’s an interesting thought. Thanks for taking the time to comment.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m]! I have personally never heard of Agape as a name, and I love unique names. I remember learning about it in Bible school- Beautiful meaning, but it can be mispronounced very easily for a first name. I like [name_u]Revel[/name_u] or [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u]. Also, [name_f]Esme[/name_f] means beloved and is a more common name. It’s up to you what you want to name her. Best of luck coming up with that perfect name!

1 Like

Ha, funny. We have a Shiloh, but a boy! It’s def a gender neutral name. Did you mean Rebel or Revel?

I have thought of Esmé, but it’s not our favorite for rolling off the tongue.

Thanks for your input!

I actually know someone named Agape! She doesn’t spell it with the accent but pronounces it the same as you. Once corrected, people are usually able to get the pronunciation right in the future.

1 Like

Wouldnt want this to be my name.

1 Like

I wasn’t sure at first but it’s growing on me! And I like how it sounds with your other children’s names. [name_u]Vida[/name_u] also came to mind which I believe means love. I saw you suggested the name [name_f]Noémi[/name_f] elsewhere which is a beautiful name as well. I personally prefer the spelling [name_f]Noémie[/name_f] but either way, it’s a gorgeous name!

1 Like

Very cool! Thanks for sharing.

I really think most names become “normal” and “usable” based on the ppl we know who have them & the effect these ppl have on us.

Thank you!

Yes Noémi Love has been on my girl list forever.

I’m just mulling over using the more specific Noémi Agapé.