Age Gaps?

I am expecting triplets, so clearly the age gap will be nonexistent, lol. But I grew up with six siblings, and age gaps were a huge factor. I was wondering, what is you and your siblings’ age gaps, or, what are your kids age gaps? Did they affect your relationships? Here’s how my family is

Brother 1- 37
Brother 2- 35
[name_f]Sister[/name_f] 1 & [name_f]Sister[/name_f] 2- 32 (twins)
Me- 28
Brother 3- 26
Brother 4- 25

Overall, large age gap between Brother 1 and Brother 4. As a kid I was definitely closest with my sisters, although all my siblings were close.

-[name_f]Michelle[/name_f]

2 Likes

There’s 17 months between me and my sister, which we hated when we were kids. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents had hoped the close age gap would make us best friends but we were more like mortal enemies :joy:. Although now that we’re older, I do like the close age gap and we are more like friends now. I think if our age gap was greater, we’d still not like each other and fight all the time.

Haha!! I totally get that. [name_f]My[/name_f] two youngest brothers are very close in age too, and my parents has the same goal as yours. Of course now they are best friends, but as kids it was not like that at allll, lol.

Well I don’t know if this counts since I’m not a mom but I do have a few sibs.
I’m the oldest and my younger brother is 3 years younger. So we kind have always been in the same ‘age group’ if you know what I mean. We always have been very good friends and usually are called the ‘big kids’ forever since wherever I go he goes, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It’s always been nice to have someone I know and trust to come with me when I’m doing something new.
The next sibling is 7 years younger than me. She’s a girl so it’s slightly different with her compared to my brother. We share a room and since she’s getting to be my size we share a lot. We talk although I do consider her a younger sibling but that might be different if I didn’t have a third sibling to play with her.
[name_f]My[/name_f] youngest sib is 9 years younger than me. It’s not very hard with him, if he wants me to play with him I will but because of the age gap I don’t play nearly as well as my sister does with him( since they’re only 2 years apart)
Personality also is a big thing to factor. As much as me and my brother( my oldest younger one) are friends are personality’s aren’t alike. Him and my sister are very much alike whereas me and my youngest brother are a lot alike. So sometimes we pair off that way, Ends and middles or big kids and little kids. So I guess the gaps are kinda uncertain. Who knew me and my youngest brother get along so well, and sometimes the middles never stop fighting. And sometimes it’s just me and my brother and the two ‘babies’ as we call them. But other than that I’ve never had a problem with the age gaps in my family, although that might just be because I’m the oldest.:joy: Congrats on triplets! I’ve always thought that having twins would be exciting, and I’ve met some sets of triplets and they’re so much fun!

Me and my oldest brother are nine years apart, and we were always close. But honestly it was hard to not be close with all my siblings in my family, since my oldest brother was like a father figure to my siblings and I after my father died. Thank you for your congratulations!!

-[name_f]Michelle[/name_f]

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] brothers are 10 and 13 years older than me. If/when I have kids, I would rather them be closer in age. I grew up feeling like an only child.

1 Like

There’s 8.5 years between myself and my sister (not that my parents could help the fertility hand they were given). I think it made our relationship harder because we have always been at such different stages on life. Obviously I love her, but we were never super close. Now that she’s basically an adult and I’m late 20’s, we are closer and a bit more on the same page (although some big personality differences still make it feel like there is a wall sometimes).

We are TTC #1 currently, so we haven’t had to think much about age gaps yet. However, we both think 2(ish) years seems to be a good gap, based on hubby’s experience with his siblings and our friends that have children. Anything could happen, I know, but I would like 2 - 3 years between babies.

My sister is just over 2.5 years younger than me. I think it’s a pretty good age gap. We do fight but we can also talk about similar things. It’s nice to have someone to talk to about stuff I can’t tell my parents haha. I think I’d want 3-4 years between my kids when I eventually have them but that could all change.

I was thinking about 2 years for my kids, but they are only 14 months apart. I loved having them close tho, so I wouldn’t change it.

My sister and I are 17 months apart, but then there was 4.5 years till our brother was born. That was for medical reasons tho, my mother would have kept the gap to about 2 years.

I’m the oldest by two years, then there’s another two and a half or so between the middle and youngest. Growing up I was closer to my middle than my youngest sibling but we all get on well now we’re adults.

Ideally I’d like somewhere between two and three years between my kids, as we’re hoping for 2. With #1 due in [name_u]January[/name_u], I’d be targeting spring/summer 2023 for #2 if it all works out. Close enough that they’ll be able to share things growing up and one won’t feel too young/old for places on days out, but enough apart to spend quality time with both while they’re young and to give me a bit of a break between pregnancies!

Wow! What a gap! :flushed:

1 Like

My parents have twelve children including three sets of twins. I have one older sister who is 30, then me and my twin brother, we are 29 and I am older, another sister who is 26 this year, another brother who is 24, another sister who is 22 this year, twin sisters who are 21 this year, another brother who is 18, another sister who is 15, another sister who is 14 and twin boy and girl who are 10 next month. Regardless of our big age gaps, we were/are all close and talk often

My sister is 20 years older than me, so my Mum basically raised two only children. It took me a long time to really think of her as my sister in a deeper-than-the-title way because I viewed her as an adult on the same level as my parents, especially because she had children herself around the time I was born too.

I actually only started calling her by her first name when I was around 16-17 because I didn’t call any other adult in my life by their names and I was incredibly intimidated. That gap closed a lot by the time I became an adult myself though - I’m nearly 20 now and we call each other a lot.

My family is…
[name_f]Sister[/name_f] 1-23
[name_f]Sister[/name_f] 2-22
Me-19
[name_f]Sister[/name_f] 4-12

I’m closest to my little sister and my oldest two are close as well! We all get along very well although my youngest tells me that she doesn’t feel as close to the oldest as the age gap is 11 years and the oldest left for college when she was about 7 or 8!

My sons are just over 2 years apart. [name_u]Baby[/name_u] brother is only 10 weeks old, so we’ll see how their relationship develops - hopefully it’s one of close friendship.

I have two siblings myself, and am right in the middle.

My older sister is 4 years my senior. [name_f]My[/name_f] family unit is pretty tight, so my sister and I were always close, but the age gap was enough that we were usually on different wavelengths as kids. We’ve grown much closer as we’ve gotten older.

My younger brother is only 11 months junior to me. As they tell the story, my parents were told by the doctor to make sure everything was in working order down there, and ended up pregnant again. [name_f]My[/name_f] poor mother :sweat_smile:

My brother and I were so close in age that we always played together but were always fighting with one another. We were so competitive. We still are, but we are super super close now as adults.

1 Like

I’m 3 years and 3 months older than my brother. [name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is 3 years and 2.5 months older than my son. I love the way it’s panned out! I was very close to my brother growing up and my children are already thick as thieves. I think the 3 year gap is great. I personally couldn’t have had mine any closer (they are very intense and don’t sleep) and I’d worry they wouldn’t be as close if the gap was bigger, but of course we will never know.

My husband’s brother was 10 years older than him, and his sister is 6 years older. His relationship with them was almost more like “parent and child” than a sibling relationship but that may have had more to do with upbringing than age gap.

1 Like

My boys are very close in age, there’s 11 months between the oldest two, then 23 months, then 16 months, 15 months and 13 months. However, my youngest is 2.5 now and we’re currently (kindof unexpectedly) expecting our seventh one who will be a bit over 3 years younger.

1 Like

There is a 2 year 9 month age gap between my boys and man do they fight like cat and dog. I could never do two children under 5 at home again. So a third for us will be when the second is in school!

1 Like

Twin here :wink: no age gap

In my opinion, the best age gap is 3-4 years.

2 Likes

I have 3 boys and got pregnant the month each time the older one turned 2… so there’s 2 years, 9 months between each (exactly 5.5 years between first and third). [name_f]My[/name_f] youngest is just a baby but the older 2 are like 2 peas in a pod! I like the age gap… only ever 1 in diapers but close enough to play together.

1 Like