Alana vs Alanna

I really love the name [name]Alanna[/name] for a little girl, pronounced A-lah-na. While I’m usually not a fan of extra letters in names, I prefer the spelling [name]Alanna[/name] over [name]Alana[/name] because I feel like it looks more complete, and also I have an aunt with “[name]Ann[/name]” in her name and I feel like it’s a way to honor her somehow. I was just wondering if you can pronounce [name]Alanna[/name] as A-lah-na, instead of A-lan-na, which I believe is the most common way to pronounce that spelling. What do you think?

I’d say ‘al-anna’ if I saw [name]Alanna[/name] and ‘al-ah-na’ if I saw [name]Alana[/name]. I think you’d need to correct everyone a lot.

I am friends with an [name]Alanna[/name], and she has never gotten al-anna, just Eh-lay-nuh ([name]How[/name]?) or [name]Alan[/name]-uh. I also love the name (see my sig), but it’s one of those names that seems so simple to pronounce but people butcher it all the time. I do agree with you that [name]Alanna[/name] looks more complete (and since I’m a fan of [name]Tamora[/name] [name]Pierce[/name], I prefer that spelling), but I’m pretty sure both spellings require lots of correcting.

I have only ever heard both spellings being pronounced as ah-LAN-ah.

I work with an [name]Alana[/name] whose name is pronounced [name]Ah[/name]-lay-nah and very few people pronounce it [name]Ah[/name]-lay-nah; with that experience, I think you are pretty safe to spell it [name]Alana[/name]. My cousin has a daughter [name]Alaina[/name] which they added the i to ensuring the correct pronounciation. I agree with you on not adding extra letters unless absolutely necessary.

[name]Welcome[/name] to Nameberry! I think the spelling [name]Alana[/name] is much clearer and would save her a lifetime of aggravation over correcting people. I would pronounce [name]Alanna[/name] uh-LANN-uh. If you want to honor your aunt [name]Ann[/name], you could do [name]Alana[/name] [name]Ann[/name]. I’m a sucker for alliteration anyway, and I love that combo.

I really like [name]Alana[/name] better. I think with [name]Alanna[/name] I’d be more inclined to say ah-lann-ah.

My instinct would be to say [name]Ah[/name]-lah-nah either way, and I feel the same way–usually don’t like extra letters but in this case I think [name]Alanna[/name] looks prettier. My instinct is almost always to use softer vowels though, I might be in the minority.

I know girls named [name]Alanna[/name] and [name]Alana[/name], and they are pronounced that same way: uh-LAH-na.

I would pronounce them the same - uh-LAH-nuh. I prefer the [name]Alanna[/name] spelling. It seems more feminine some how.

I knew both an [name]Alanna[/name] and an [name]Alana[/name] and this was how they pronounced them, and therefore how I always have.

[name]Alanna[/name] = A-lah-nuh
[name]Alana[/name] = A-lan-uh

I much prefer [name]Alanna[/name].

Any [name]Alana[/name] I know spells it with one “n.” I also know girls [name]Elana[/name] and [name]Ilana[/name], both pronounced the same as [name]Alana[/name].

That is a really though name because there are so ways to pronounce and spell it - [name]Alana[/name], [name]Alanna[/name], [name]Alena[/name], [name]Alenna[/name], [name]Elana[/name], [name]Elena[/name], [name]Elanna[/name], [name]Elenna[/name]. I would choose [name]Alana[/name] because I think it looks better.

The only way I’d ever spell this name would be [name]Alannah[/name], it looks complete to me and this spelling comes from the irish ‘a leanbh’ which means ‘darling’ or ‘love’ and I think it really gives the name substance.
Out of your two spellings I think I prefer [name]Alanna[/name], but to be honest it still feels incomplete to me. It’s a lovely name though, and I love how you can have [name]Allie[/name] or [name]Annie[/name] as pet names for it. It’s girly but spunky as well and I think it’s a really light name.

We spell our daughter’s name with two Ns – [name]Alanna[/name] – and pronounce it to rhyme with Bahama(s). wh The name wasn’t on most people’s radar when she was born so we got a lot of mispronunciations for a long time; now, though, there are more Alannas out there and most people pronounce it correctly. We went with [name]Alanna[/name] because [name]Alana[/name] just doesn’t look right. :slight_smile:

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter’s middle name is [name_f]Alanna[/name_f] (pronounced uh-lah-nuh). I spelled it that way because I thought [name_f]Alana[/name_f] did not look feminine enough and imagined it sounded more like a-lan-uh.

I like [name_f]Alanna[/name_f] better but I would pronounce it A-la-nna.