Albus: Usable?

See the results of this poll: How usable is Albus?

Respondents: 70 (This poll is closed)

• Totally usable! : 24 (34%)
  • It’s weird, but not kill-it-with-fire weird. : 39 (56%)
  • Totally unusable.: 7 (10%)

I reckon it’s totally usable but my first thought is Dumbledore (not a great association for me personally because I dislike his character a lot, despite my adoration of the series). [name_m]Albus[/name_m] is quite handsome, though not a personal favourite, but [name_m]Albie[/name_m] is infinitely more so!

I don’t think it’s useable due to its association with [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. A lot of people probably don’t have another source of the name to draw from. I also don’t think it’s useable due to my dislike of the character.

I heard the name [name_m]Albion[/name_m] on TV the other night. I thought it was cute. There’s also [name_m]Alban[/name_m] and [name_m]Albin[/name_m].

I think it’s usable, just. Definitely a strong association with [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], but that’s not terrible. I much prefer [name_m]Alban[/name_m] as a route to [name_m]Albie[/name_m] though.

I’d don’t think it’s totally unusable, however, I wouldn’t root for it to be used. I just personally would feel weird using the name in a conversation and referring to an actual child rather than a character.

If I met a boy named [name_m]Albus[/name_m] I’d probably think his parents were huge [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fans. I’ve never heard of anyone named [name_m]Albus[/name_m] other than the character. While I don’t think the name is unusable it’s certainly heavily associated with the series.

I agree (:

HP reference is really strong. I think [name_m]Albert[/name_m] nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m] would work better.

Thanks, guys! It seems like the consensus is that [name_m]Albus[/name_m] is overwhelmingly associated with HP, which is a positive for some and a negative for others. I definitely wouldn’t want people to think my partner and I are superfans (I do love the series, but he’s lukewarm at best). While I don’t like [name_m]Albert[/name_m], I am warming up to [name_m]Alban[/name_m] and [name_m]Albin[/name_m]. [name_m]Albion[/name_m] is out: it’s an old name for Great [name_m]Britain[/name_m], and naming our kid after [name_f]England[/name_f] is just a bit weird (especially considering that he’s of Chinese and Japanese descent – there’s a whole history there).

Thank you so much for these responses!

[name_m]Albus[/name_m] is lovely especially with [name_m]Albie[/name_m] as a nickname! The HP connection is strong but I don’t think this makes it unusable. [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] made a rise in popularity and then there is [name_f]Aria[/name_f] from Game of Thrones so I wouldn’t let that stop me necessarily.

I definitely think it’s usable! An HP association is positive for me and I also just think it’s a handsome name made even better with the nn [name_m]Albie[/name_m]. I 100% prefer it over [name_m]Albert[/name_m], [name_m]Albin[/name_m], or [name_m]Alban[/name_m] personally :slight_smile:

I’m team “totally unusable.” I can’t shake the association with Dumbledore, unfortunately, and that’s all a lot of people are going to think.

I’m a bit confused about the multitude of comments saying that it’s either unusable or usable but too heavily tied to Dumbledore. I mean, yes, Dumbledore is the only famous example of the name [name_m]Albus[/name_m], but the name itself is an ancient Latin name that doesn’t look or sound like a modern made-up moniker. It reminds me of [name_m]Atticus[/name_m], another ancient Latin name that will forever be tied to [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] [name_u]Finch[/name_u], but that doesn’t make it unusable, and in fact, [name_m]Atticus[/name_m] is gaining tons of traction.

On the other hand, the name [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f] was given to 200+ girls last year. Now THAT’S a name that is inextricably tied to one specific character, seeing as the author made up the name for her. I would never use a name like [name_f]Khaleesi[/name_f], but it seems at least 200 parents were perfectly fine with it, so why not a much more normal and time-honored name like [name_m]Albus[/name_m]?

ETA: Another possibility is Albinus, if you don’t want such a strong connection with Dumbledore. Albinus is another vintage name that is associated with several philosophers, bishops, and scholars.

It’s totally usable, especially with the nickname [name_m]Albie[/name_m]!

So I think of [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] but that’s not a bad thing to me. And I adore [name_m]Albie[/name_m]. I feel like [name_f]Hermione[/name_f] is growing in use even though it’s tied to [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], why not [name_m]Albus[/name_m]?

It is forever tied to Dumbledor, but it is a nice name that is totally usable and would be extremely darling. Literary names are great so long as it isn’t something like Kahleesi which isn’t a name at all, just a made up word.

Exactly this. Thanks for putting it so well, flambeau!