Alexander vs Benjamin

As the title suggests (I can’t figure out how to do a poll):

11 weeks gone with a first. We’d settled on [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] as our early preferred boy name but in recent days I keep thinking about [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. Which do you prefer and why?

We’ve got a one syllable surname so want a slightly longer name and like classic names, not bothered by popularity either.

I love both. Maybe see what he looks like & which one fits him better?

2 Likes

I personally prefer [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], just because I’ve known more Alexanders and I also prefer Benjamins nickname options.
They’re both nice though!

I agree with @Summs on bringing both and choosing which one suits him better :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I much prefer [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]! [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] seems harsher, and is very overdone (at least in my area).

1 Like

Personally I love [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]. It’s such a classic, strong name. Nothing wrong with [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] at all. [name_m]Just[/name_m] prefer [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] x

1 Like

Alexander for me too!

1 Like

I find [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] to be quite popular lately. Between all the nicknames of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]; [name_u]Alex[/name_u], [name_m]Xander[/name_m], etc. I think [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] is classic, and not as popular, or trendy as [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] right now.

1 Like

I think both are fantastic names! We have a son due in 7 weeks and are naming him [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. We also have a one syllable last name. Like one of the previous posters, I prefer the nicknames for [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] to those for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], and I think [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] goes better with our last name. You can’t go wrong with either though!

1 Like

They’re both great names! [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] would get my vote personally; I think it sounds a little softer but still strong and substantial, and I prefer the nickname possibilities. That said, you can’t go wrong here, so bringing both and picking based on what suits him (as others have suggested) may be the way to go! Good luck :blush:

1 Like

I prefer [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. Fun but classic

1 Like

I love both, but I prefer [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]! Sweet and very charming.

1 Like

I vote for [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] because I like A names better that B names. And I love the NN [name_m]Xander[/name_m].

2 Likes

Congratulations! :baby:

Both are honestly great, but I think [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] just has that bit more punch and energy to it than [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]. It still feels strong, regal and wonderfully majestic to me, no matter how many I meet. Excellent nickname potential too.

2 Likes

I like [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] better because of the nickname potential! You can adjust his nickname based on his personality.

Alec
[name_u]Lex[/name_u]
[name_u]Sandy[/name_u]
[name_m]Xander[/name_m]/Zander

2 Likes

I like [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] better. I like thats it’s biblical, has a sweet nn, and is also elegant. While there’s nothing wrong with [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], it’s not my style and I not care for [name_u]Alex[/name_u].

1 Like

I love both names!

I think perhaps consider the nicknames of both names, as both are likely to be shortened by friends and family, and see which you like best. It may come down to whether you prefer [name_u]Alex[/name_u] or [name_m]Ben[/name_m]!

As mentioned above, [name_u]Alex[/name_u] does have more nickname potential. In saying that, I’ve never met a [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] I didn’t like! So both are great really.

Good luck!

1 Like

Oh both are so classic , historically rich and handsome. I think popularity wise they are actually pretty close.

I love both but I always pair [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] as a middle name when making suggestions as I feel it goes with everything. I have good associations with both [name_m]Ben[/name_m]’s and [name_u]Alex[/name_u]’s but can’t use either as I have family with these names

I think I slightly prefer [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] as it has more nickname options. But I am Soooooo drawn to [name_m]Ben[/name_m] ( and all [name_m]Ben[/name_m] variations)

Al , [name_u]Alex[/name_u] ,[name_m]Xander[/name_m] (which I don’t love) [name_u]Lex[/name_u], [name_m]Alec[/name_m], [name_m]Anders[/name_m], [name_u]Sandy[/name_u] (my favourite NN)

1 Like

Alexander is my favourite, and I love [name_u]Alex[/name_u] + [name_m]Xander[/name_m] for nickname potential too.

I prefer [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]! It’s cool but classic, has a plethora of nicknames and great ( :wink: ) associations like [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] the Great.

I’ve known so many Benjamins and Bens that it just feels boring now, and none of them were particularly nice people either. I guess it’s more personal bias though!

1 Like

Both are so handsome! I like [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] slightly more up front, but LOVE both, and love some of [name_m]Alexander[/name_m]’s unusual nns SO much! ([name_u]Sasha[/name_u] is probably my favorite, but I also like [name_m]Xander[/name_m], [name_m]Alexei[/name_m], and [name_m]Skandar[/name_m].) [name_m]Ben[/name_m] seems a little boring in comparison, but I love the cuddly, homey nature of [name_m]Ben[/name_m]; somehow he just feels like coming home. At one point my favorite boys’ name was [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u], so I admit to a great affinity to him! I love the idea of a more unusual, cool middle name for him, like [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m], [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Amias[/name_m], or [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m]! [name_m]Henry[/name_m]’s not so unusual, but he is very vogue right now, and I’ve always loved [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] [name_m]Henry[/name_m] lol.

I think I’d vote [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] personally, but I’ve never been an [name_u]Alex[/name_u] person, so I like my odds of having a nn I love with [name_u]Benjamin[/name_u] more lol. I also like [name_m]Benno[/name_m] and [name_u]Jamie[/name_u] ([name_m]Benji[/name_m] not so much, but I guess you can’t win them all).

Good luck!

1 Like