Alexia.

I know it’s also a medical term. But I love the name, and the meaning is “Defender of Men.”

However, I’ve been getting a lot of backlash for considering it. I think I’ll still go with it, since I’ve spoken to some [name]Alexia[/name]'s and they adore or like their name. And the worst teasing was “Dyslexic [name]Alexia[/name]” and it was a girl who WAS dyslexic.

[name]Alexia[/name] (the medical term) is an acquired reading disability.
I don’t think it’s THAT bad. It’s not like it means “deformed head” like [name]Kennedy[/name]. Or “blind” like [name]Cecelia[/name].
And it’s a very pretty name, that I’ve loved for years now.

I believe the correct term is dyslexia for a reading disability and [name]Alexia[/name] happens to have the last five letters. Kids will always find any derogatory term for any name so I wouldn’t worry about future teasing too much. [name]Alexia[/name] is a lovely alternative to the popular [name]Alexandra[/name]. I know that there is a [name]Princess[/name] [name]Alexia[/name] of Greece who is the older daughter of former Greek [name]King[/name] [name]Constantine[/name]. Hey, if it’s good enough for royalty, go with it!

The medical association is unfortunate, but I don’t think it’s horrific. If it’s a name you love, go ahead and use it. Personally, I think that there are so many Alexanders, Alexandras, Alexas, Alexises, etc. out there that I’m just a little bored with the whole family of names, but there really isn’t anythig wrong with them.

To be honest, I’m so tired of all of the [name]Alex[/name] names. I know so many of them it’s ridiculous. But if [name]Alexia[/name] is what you love, then you should definitely use it. [name]Don[/name]'t worry about teasing because if kids are determined they will find a way to tease your kid no matter what. I’ve never known anyone who was teased for their name though.