Alfred vs Aelfred and more questions!

Hello all, I’m new here. I have one month to go until my wedding but my fiancee and I are already talking baby names. I thought I’d start off by asking about boy’s names I’m considering - [name]Alfred[/name], Acheron, [name]Alaric[/name] and [name]Orion[/name]. (Maybe [name]Aries[/name] if “he” happens to be born an [name]Aries[/name].) Would you spell [name]Alfred[/name] this way or Aelfred? Would you call a boy named Acheron “[name]Ash[/name]” for short? Is [name]Alaric[/name] too weird? I’m worried about the bullying for an unusual name, although boys seem to own it better.

As of girl’s names, has anyone considered Yvain? It is a name from Stardust. I would spell it [name]Yvaine[/name], though. I have no clue what middle name to pick for that one.
But there is a name I love even more, Beria! I’m pretty sure absolutely no one has this name, which makes it so much better. But which middle name? [name]Ceridwen[/name], [name]Candida[/name], [name]Lena[/name], or [name]Kirsten[/name]?

Thanks so much to those who reply, it’s so good to hear unbiased opinions. My family jokes about every name I come up with because they’re not typical, like [name]Joe[/name] or [name]Jennifer[/name].

[name]Alfred[/name]- I almost named my son this because i love [name]Alfie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name]. FYI, everyone i told it to thought i was completely crazy.
Acheron- is it pronounced Asheron? If you prn the CH, it sounds like Achoo! To me, like a sneeze. And in that case I’d call him [name]Archie[/name]. If it’s prn [name]Ash[/name], then [name]Ash[/name] is a perfectly fine nickname.
[name]Alaric[/name] - I think this is the least weird on your list, well, after [name]Alfred[/name]. [name]Orion[/name]- maybe this would work. It kind of depends on where you live.
I don’t think [name]Aries[/name] would be a good name.
Would you spell [name]Alfred[/name] this way or Aelfred? - [name]Alfred[/name].

I disagree about boys “owning” unusual names better. In my experience, boys would rather be like the rest of the boys. That doesn’t mean they all have to be named [name]Joe[/name] and [name]Jake[/name] to be happy, but I really don’t think most boys would like having a name like [name]Aries[/name]. Girls like to stand out more than boys do.

I’ve never heard of [name]Yvaine[/name]. It makes me think of someone speaking Spanglish, saying “y vain” as in, “and she’s vain!”. Not such a good connection but I’m sure it’s just me. It does have a pretty sound, and it’s similarity to [name]Yvonne[/name] makes it feel authentic.

Beria is actually really pretty! I don’t like it with middle names that end in a. [name]Ceridwen[/name] is unfamiliar to me, and if I were you I’d choose something more mainstream. So that leaves Beria [name]Kirsten[/name]… Hmm, it works but I don’t love the flowl what about Beria [name]Christine[/name]?

I love [name]Alfred[/name]. but I don’t like your other choices much - they sound like you might be very young and trying very hard to be different from everyone else.

Please don’t use [name]Candida[/name] - candida is thrush!

Ohmygosh! That’s why it sounded familiar!

I would avoid Beria too- it is the name of the henchman of one of the most evil dictators of all time (Stalin) and people who have studied European history in H.S. or college will associate the name with him. It’s cool if you want to do a unique name, and Beria has a pretty sound, but just make sure to google any name you decide on!

[name]Just[/name] to address one of your questions - you could nn Acheron “[name]Ash[/name]”, I think, but the river in the [name]Roman[/name] underworld of the same name is pronounced like ‘Akeron’.

Oh, and [name]Alfred[/name] nn [name]Alfie[/name] or [name]Freddie[/name] gets my vote - sweet and handsome.

Good luck! [name]Auburn[/name]

Lyndsayjenness ” I actually hadn”t thought of nicknames for [name]Alfred[/name], thanks for reminding me. I like [name]Alfie[/name] but not [name]Freddie[/name]. I just think [name]Freddie[/name] Krueger. Acheron is pronounced ”[name]Ash[/name]”eron. I live in Michigan, would [name]Orion[/name] be bad? Also, I can”t have [name]Christine[/name] as a middle name for Beria because my first name is [name]Cristina[/name].

Jakki ” Thanks for your opinion! I do think I have been trying too hard, but I am used to unusual names due to naming my kitties. ([name]Halcyone[/name], [name]Sen[/name], [name]Buffy[/name], Setsuna, [name]Pepper[/name] & [name]Dusty[/name], two of which are gone now.) Also, I don’t like everyday names, I lean more toward weird names all the time.

Thecatsmother ” What does thrush mean?

Juliagulia ” I had thought about that, Stalin”s henchman Beria, but Beria is also a Turkish girl”s name and Beria was that man”s last name. I really debated on it because he did things I wouldn”t want my child to even think about, but since it was a while ago I didn”t think anyone would make the connection, especially ten years from now or longer. I asked a few older people if they knew who he was and my dad watches the history channel religiously and he couldn”t remember the guy, so that put my mind at ease. But I am still worried.

What does everyone else think about the man named Beria and naming my female child that?

Thrush is a yeast infection.

Women sometimes get it when they’ve been on antibiotics - it can occur in other places but most commonly occurs in the vagina and causes a creamy white discharge and itching.

[name]Candida[/name] means white. The long name for thrush is candida albicans but most people just call it candida.

Oh, and I’ve never heard it before but I really like the name Acheron and both spellings of [name]Alfred[/name]/Aelfred.

Are you any closer to picking one?

OK, I feel better about the fact that Beria is a “real” name. I agree, a lot of people won’t make the connection (I didn’t major in history or anything but I am kind of a history nerd). Apparently “[name]Beriah[/name]” is also a Hebrew name, but, since you didn’t just pull Beria out of thin air, and the historical reference is somewhat obscure, go for it if you like. It does have a pretty sound.

Babies also can get thrush in their mouths. It’s pretty common. They get little painful white patches in their mouth and it’s often passed back and forth between the mother and baby during breast-feeding. You have to give the baby medicine and put athletes foot cream on your nipples! Gross!

Oh, and i don’t know if those names would fly in Michigan, I’ve never been there. I would listen to the names you hear around town. If there are unusual names, that’s good for you. If you only hear names like [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Jacob[/name], [name]Isabella[/name] and [name]Aidan[/name]… I might think twice. But that’s just me.

Also,

I really like Yvainne - but what would you have as a nn?

Oh, I’ve loved the name [name]Alfred[/name] since [name]FOREVER[/name]. :slight_smile: It’s gorgeous…and makes me so happy inside, haha, I say go for it. I’m a history major and I didn’t make the Beria connection, so I highly don’t most folks would.

I actually think [name]Alaric[/name] is pretty normal, because both [name]Al[/name] and [name]Rick[/name] are so common.

I will definitely be avoiding [name]Candida[/name] now. lol Thanks!
I am absolutely hooked on Beria the more I think about it. And [name]Lena[/name] is my mom”s maiden name so we”re going with that for a middle name. Can”t think of any nicknames for Beria…except [name]Bear[/name].
For [name]Yvaine[/name], it might be a stretch, but what about [name]Ivy[/name] for a nickname?
In Michigan you hear names that have been used a bajillion times, nothing new. [name]Caitlyn[/name], [name]James[/name], [name]Jennifer[/name], etc. And there are a lot of surnames-turned-first-names. [name]Greyson[/name], [name]Sheridan[/name], etc. And tons of foreign names. Everyone thinks anything they didn’t come up with is weird.
As for boys, I like [name]Alfred[/name], [name]Alaric[/name], Acheron and [name]Orion[/name] equally right now. We’d like to use [name]Gregory[/name] as a middle name for the boy if it works. My hubby doesn”t want the kid to be mocked, that is his biggest fear, although I am not as concerned. But he can come up with a way to make fun of ANYTHING. [name]Alfred[/name] the [name]Butler[/name], [name]Alaric[/name] is lethargic, Stupid [name]Orion[/name] is cryin”, Ass-eron…you get it…And [name]Aries[/name] is out for sure. He likes [name]Holly[/name] and [name]Helena[/name], and he says “maybe” to Casilda, but that’s about it.
I recently found the female [name]Alcide[/name] (from [name]True[/name] Blood) which is Alcida. I think. But I like it, probably as Alcida [name]Viola[/name], and I also decided I like the name [name]Claire[/name]. [name]Claire[/name] [name]Bianca[/name], [name]Claire[/name] [name]Ondine[/name], and [name]Claire[/name] [name]Valentina[/name]. I don’t think it can top the way I feel about Beria, though, knowing probably not another person on the whole planet has it right now.