Alfred?

What are your thoughts? I’m fully embracing “clunky” girl names such as [name]Henrietta[/name] and [name]Millicent[/name]. It’s taken me a little longer, but I’m now starting to see the appeal in some of the clunky guy names as well.

What are your thoughts on [name]Alfred[/name]?

It occurred to me it might be a good way to honor two grandfathers: [name]Alton[/name] (known as [name]Al[/name]) and [name]Albert[/name]. I love the nn [name]Freddie[/name], but would probably call him [name]Al[/name] to honor my grandfather. Or I might just decide after he’s born!

WDYT of [name]Alfred[/name]? Too much? [name]Just[/name] right?

I really like [name]Alfred[/name]. [name]Alfie[/name] and [name]Freddie[/name] are both adorable. My only caveat is that I have a very specific mental image of “[name]Alfred[/name]”: dapper, but distinctly nerdy. Right for a certain kind of family, certainly – and who knows? Your [name]Alfred[/name] could break the mold and become a quarterback.

Oh, and if you’re in the market for some clunky cool [name]Al[/name]- names, consider [name]Aloysius[/name]. Nickname ‘Wish’ is fabulous.

LOL, I’m taking the lack of responses as a less than enthusiastic reception to ‘[name]Alfred[/name].’ :slight_smile: Hehe.

Oh god I love the name [name]Alfred[/name]. All due to this adorable, wonderful little boy at the daycare I work at. He’s priceless.
Plus working in a bridal boutique with the lines [name]Alfred[/name] [name]Angelo[/name] (gorgeous dresses) and [name]Alfred[/name] Sung warmed me up to it. Plus [name]Alfred[/name] from Batman…who’s just lovable and wonderful.

I don’t think I’d use it in the first spot, I’m not even sure about the middle, but I do love it. I say go for it!

I forgot about [name]Alfred[/name] in Batman! I think my hubby will like that. :slight_smile:

[name]Alfred[/name] is amazing! [name]Love[/name], love, love [name]Alfred[/name]. So much so that I would consider naming my own son this if my husband were even remotely
on board. [name]Love[/name] [name]Freddie[/name] and [name]Alfie[/name]!

I thought it was pretty clunky and old-mannish until recently. I’m reading a book (set during WW1) where one of the characters is named [name]Alfred[/name], and he is very lively and youthful. I think the nn’s [name]Al[/name] and [name]Fred[/name]/[name]Freddie[/name] would be refreshing on a little boy.

I really like [name]Alfred[/name]. It’s handsome, distinguished, and a little clunky. Very British too. :slight_smile:

[name]Alfie[/name] is pretty cute.

[name]Alfred[/name] and [name]Alaric[/name] are both on my sister’s list. I had never thought of them really, but she loves them and made quite the case.

I like [name]Alfred[/name] a lot and I also like [name]Albert[/name] which was my gg grandfathers name. I love the connection to Batman because [name]Alfred[/name] was awesome. I think in a few years time it will start to get more love, but will probably never be in the top 100. It is a nice, strong name and can grow with a little boy.

I love [name]Alfred[/name]. If [name]Frederick[/name] wasn’t my number one name, it would be in my top ten. I think it’s handsome, distinguished, and has the clunky-vintage charm that’s doable nowadays. The Batman connection is always a plus (though I’ve only seen one of the movies, I think he’s awesome). It’s a name that grows up well, and has amazing nicknames.

• [name]Athena[/name]

I do love the nicknames that can go with it, but am not fond of the actual name. It reminds me of the [name]Alfred[/name] from the game Guess Who? Which I played too much growing up…red, long stringy hair. I suppose if I could wipe that image it wouldn’t be as bad.

[name]Alfred[/name]'s a top 200 name in the UK- same rough popularity as [name]Roman[/name], [name]Eli[/name], [name]Cole[/name], and [name]Declan[/name]. I prefer [name]Alfred[/name] to [name]Alfie[/name] (top 10!) or [name]Freddie[/name] (top 100). Batman and [name]Alfred[/name] the Great are my two major reference for the name, which puts it firmly in the timeless category :stuck_out_tongue:

I definitely like the idea of meeting a little [name]Alfred[/name]. I think it would be adorable! Lots of great nn potential too.

[name]Love[/name] it!

I like the fact it can be shortened to [name]Alfie[/name] or [name]Freddie[/name].

Ok, LOL, this is hilarious!

Also, thanks to whoever pointed out it was fairly high in the UK. I had no idea!

lovve it reminds me of Batman’s [name]Butler[/name] [name]Alfred[/name] Pennyworth :slight_smile: He makes me love this name.