Alice Lavender or Alice Viola?

So I’m right at the brink of picking out my names. I’m having twins, and I have two names picked out for both sex. [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Atlas[/name], [name]Henry[/name] [name]Valentin[/name], and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Maria[/name]… but I’m getting cold feet on [name]Maria[/name] as a middle name for [name]Alice[/name]. I feel like it’s a flat note in a chord. I don’t have a family connection to [name]Maria[/name], I’ve just always liked it for some reason. [name]Alice[/name] [name]Maria[/name] would have been fine for a singleton, but now it’s twins I have a nagging feeling it doesn’t play as well with the other names. I seem to have a pattern of a classic first name along with a more offbeat middle, and [name]Maria[/name] just doesn’t fit with her probable siblings. So if I change it here are some ideas I’ve come up with:

[name]Lavender[/name] - What I’m really loving right now, unless people find it flows horribly. One of my favorite flowers/flavors/scents, and also a favorite color of mine. Has a [name]Harry[/name] [name]Potter[/name] connection. [name]Flower[/name] names are popular, and this one is neverused, plus the -er ending gives it a stronger and more substantial feeling than most flowers. And what I love the most: It’s three syllables and eight letters! [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] both have an 8 letter 3 syllable first name with 5 letter and 2 syllable middle name. [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] both have a 5 letter and 2 syllable first name with an 8 letter and 3 syllable middle. The beauty of the symmetry makes me so happy! Haha. If I have two more kids I’m almost positive they’ll receive the names I don’t pick for this pregnancy.

[name]Viola[/name] - So pretty, and I love the shakespeare connection. ([name]Juliet[/name] was one of my girl runners-up.) It’s also three syllables, so it has a lot of balance with the rest of the names. Also I like that it starts with a V like Valetin because if I choose [name]Alice[/name] for my B/G set, it’ll be paired with [name]Henry[/name].

[name]Marta[/name] - Also a name I really like. It’s also similar to [name]Maria[/name] without being as common. [name]Marta[/name] has been eliminated! (:

So what do you guys like better, [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name] or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]?

Honestly, I don’t like any of them. I don’t think they flow very well. WDYT of …

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Mireille[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Madeline[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Marina[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] Marcelline
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Margaux[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Marlena[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Melisande[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Miriam[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Jane[/name]/[name]June[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Fleur[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Louise[/name]/[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Claire[/name]

The only one that fits is [name]Magnolia[/name], or maybe [name]Matilda[/name], and I’m not crazy about either. But I’m not really sure you understood why I was changing it away from [name]Maria[/name].

Sorry I wasn’t much help. If i had to pick from the three you mentioned I’d choose [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Alice[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Henry[/name], and [name]Theodore[/name]! I think [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] are great, as are [name]Caroline[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name]. [name]Alice[/name] and [name]Caroline[/name] or [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Theodore[/name] together are superb! :slight_smile:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name] are both gorgeous, but I don’t think [name]Alice[/name] [name]Marta[/name] really flows well. [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] are wonderful together!

I love the name [name]Alice[/name]! I like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name] the best. It has a nice sound. (And if you wanted an 8 letter name you could do [name]Alice[/name] [name]Violetta[/name].)

I like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] alot and I think it does help make that name more in tune w/ the others. I love flower names and would really love to use [name]Lavendar[/name] someday. It’s a little longer than I like for a mn though (my girls have flower mn’s)

I can’t wait to hear what names you end up selecting for your set of twins. [name]How[/name] far along are you? I think I read 12-13 weeks in another thread?

About the symmetry/# of letters/syllables. I completely agree! I don’t know if it’s a little OCD or what, but I can’t help but love it! I didn’t even try to match this for my first two daughters but they have they have the same # of letters-- different # of syllables, but I feel ok about that :slight_smile: For the twins, whenever I’d find a name I liked, I instantly tried to find the same number of letters to go along w/ it. It was getting a little crazy and my DH said I was waaay overthinking it. [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Mirabelle[/name] were my perfect pair because of their symmetry (and other things! lol)
Oh- but if you have [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavendar[/name] – the symmetry isn’t there anymore, so maybe you don’t need to worry so much about it right now? (though I do like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavendar[/name] and think it flows just fine)

Yeah I’m 13 weeks, so still too early to know the sexes. The boy/boy set is pretty much in stone at this point. Girl/girl is [name]Alice[/name] ? and [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] for sure. It’s just that darn mixed set killing me! I love both of them too much I think lol.

I’m glad you like [name]Lavender[/name] so much. I’m pretty sure I’m going to change it to [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name], but I think I’m leaning toward [name]Lavender[/name]. I’d like to hear a few more opinions before I pick though, but I think [name]Maria[/name] and [name]Marta[/name] are officially out.

I really like your names! [name]Scarlett[/name], [name]Penelope[/name], and [name]Gwendolen[/name] were all on my list. And think [name]Gwendolen[/name] and [name]Mirabelle[/name] are very congruent and balanced. If its a g/g set I still think [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] have great balance, it’s just a complimentary style balance with 3/2 syllable and a 2/3 syllable between the first and middle.

I think [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] is perfect!

I’m really loving [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]. That’s what I would go with.

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name]! Best flow, and it works best with any and all of [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Atlas[/name], and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Valentin[/name]. Can I just say that I love [name]Alice[/name], [name]Caroline[/name], [name]Theodore[/name], and [name]Henry[/name]? Great names for siblings, and they will make perfect twin pairs! I think it is neat that you’ve got a name of both genders that has an A middle name and one that has a V middle name. My only suggestion would be to change [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] to [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Aster[/name] - [name]Aster[/name] feels slightly softer than the very harsh [name]Astrid[/name] to me, so I prefer it with [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name]…

Best of luck to you!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Firstly, congratulations!!
I’m going to place my vote for [name]Viola[/name]. [name]Viola[/name] in [name]Shakespeare[/name]'s 12th [name]Night[/name] is one of the most wonderful female literature characters (in my opinion - i’m an english lit student after all!) and i think it would be a lovely namesake for your daughter. Have you ever seen the movie [name]Shakespeare[/name] in [name]Love[/name]? The lead character in that is called [name]Viola[/name] - just watch it :-)!! It also makes a nice literary set with [name]Alice[/name] ie. [name]Alice[/name] in Wonderland.
On the other hand, [name]Lavender[/name] is my favorite sent and my best friend in high school also wanted to change her name from [name]Emily[/name] [name]Lindsey[/name] to [name]Emily[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] so there you go!!
But yes - I think [name]Viola[/name] - but your opinion is the most important!!

I like [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name], and I love the syllable symmetry. :slight_smile:

I totally agree that [name]Maria[/name] just wasn’t up to par with the rest of your names. Your description of a flat note in the chord was exactly right, [name]IMO[/name].
I love the flow of [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name]. For some reason, [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] doesn’t roll of my tongue. I feel like I’m saying [name]Alli[/name] Slavender. [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name] are divine! Makes me hope for 2 girls for you!

I [name]ADORE[/name] [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]. So cool, unexpected, pretty and unique while still sophisticated. I love it!

So it’s 6-5 in favor of [name]Lavender[/name] right now… you guys are killing me! Haha I guess it’s a compliment that I came up with two good combos, but I really need to pick! I think I’m slightly favoring [name]Lavender[/name] right now, like how the vote is, but [name]Viola[/name] is just so lovely as well.

You did pick well - [name]Lavender[/name] and [name]Viola[/name] are just such fun names, the both of them. I just think that the flow of [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name] is far superior to that of [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]. As another poster said, [name]Alice[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] sounds a bit slurred. I think [name]Lavender[/name] would pair best with a name like:

[name]Anna[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Clara[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Emmeline[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Frances[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Julia[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Maria[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]
[name]Vivien[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]

But, if you want to stick with [name]Alice[/name], I’d say [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name]. You’d mentioned loving [name]Maria[/name], so [name]Maria[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] would be a great name, either for one of your twins or for a future sibling. [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name], [name]Caroline[/name] [name]Astrid[/name], [name]Maria[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]? With [name]Theodore[/name] [name]Atlas[/name] and [name]Henry[/name] [name]Valentin[/name]? Superb.

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name]!! Beatiful and classic, and fits beautifully with the other choices on your list. :smiley:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name] gets my vote! I prefer [name]Viola[/name] over [name]Lavender[/name], and if your twins are both girls, I think that [name]Astrid[/name] and [name]Viola[/name] fit better stylistically than [name]Astrid[/name] and [name]Lavender[/name] (to me, [name]Lavender[/name] seems much more whimsical than [name]Astrid[/name]…). I also agree that [name]Alice[/name] [name]Viola[/name] has better flow…

Good luck! :slight_smile:

Haha oh [name]Lemon[/name], If I end up with an [name]Alice[/name], a [name]Caroline[/name], a [name]Theodore[/name], AND a [name]Henry[/name]… I’ll be so done at that point. I’m one of four, and so is my husband, so four has always been our ideal number, and also my max lol. Short of having another multiple pregnancy, like a single after this, and then another set of twins. Or, God forbid, triplets next time, we’ll be done at four. [name]Maria[/name] is something to think about as a first name if I have more than two girls. I kind of feel like I’d be so upset if I don’t get to use my main four though!