Alice's Name...Help.

So i am currently 9 weeks pregnant with our first child (yay!), and since we found out we were pregnant, i knew that if it was a girl (which is mine and hubbys thought) that her name would be [name]Alice[/name]. We simply love the name, and originally had [name]Alice[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] set as her name. Well, i decided i no longer loved the flow of [name]Alice[/name] [name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], so for a few weeks it was just [name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. But it felt so incomplete, so i started to think about adding another middle. For a long time, hubby and I had decided all of our childrens first middle names would begin with a M, however i thought this now constricted the naming process waaaay to much, so nixed the idea. Our main idea right now, is that we want to add a name that means ‘beautiful’, ‘lovely’, or something along those lines to our girl name. And the one name i found that i loved* is [name]Calla[/name]. However, i didnt know if [name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Calla[/name]…went? So i was looking for advice! Does [name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Calla[/name] G______s(2 sylb.) flow? Or what other names would sound good? Thanks so much!

I adore [name]Alice[/name], great choice! I’m not a huge fan of [name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Calla[/name] because of the repeating [name]AL[/name] sounds, but it’s a pretty combo and flow doesn’t really matter a huge amount. Does it have to be ‘beautiful’, or do other good meanings count (beloved, strong, kind, etc)? Other combos with names meaning ‘beauty’:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Indira[/name] ([name]Indira[/name] is ‘beauty’ in Sanskrit; I think it’s gorgeous and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Indira[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] would work too)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Freya[/name] ([name]Freya[/name] is a Norse goddess of beauty and love)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Aoife[/name] (ee-fa, means ‘beauty’ from a Gaelic word, was also a warrior princess-- I really like this one)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] (Scandinavian, meaning ‘Ing is beautiful’)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Frida[/name] (Norse, ‘beautiful and fair’)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Eirian[/name] (Welsh, 'bright, beautiful)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Naomi[/name] (Japanese, ‘honest, beautiful’)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Caoimhe[/name] (kee-va, ‘beautiful’)

My favorites are [name]Alice[/name] [name]Ingrid[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name], [name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Aoife[/name], and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Naomi[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Others:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Fiona[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Luna[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Anna[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]

First thing that sprung to mind was [name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Belle[/name] :slight_smile: I adore this and of course [name]Belle[/name] means beautiful.

[name]Mirabel[/name]/[name]Mirabelle[/name]/[name]Mirabella[/name] mean wonderful so maybe you could include that in someway although I think maybe it’s too much name with [name]Elizabeth[/name]. Maybe [name]Alice[/name] [name]Mirabella[/name] [name]Elspeth[/name] (as an alternative to [name]Elizabeth[/name]) or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Mirabelle[/name] [name]Eliza[/name]? Then you still get your M name too.

Good luck, and I adore [name]Alice[/name]!

[name]Love[/name] [name]Alice[/name]! [name]Alice[/name] [name]Briony[/name] is a new favorite of mine, but I agree [name]Alice[/name] is tough to match with a middle name. Is [name]Elizabeth[/name] a necessity or are you open to suggestions?

Here are some names meaning “beautiful” or “lovely” for you to consider:

[name]Arabella[/name] - “beautiful altar”
[name]Bella[/name] - “beautiful”
[name]Bonita[/name] - “pretty”
[name]Calanthe[/name] - “lovely flower” [[name]Calantha[/name]]
[name]Calista[/name] - “most beautiful” [[name]Callista[/name]]
[name]Calliope[/name] - “beautiful voice”
[name]Caoimhe[/name] - “beautiful” {pr. KEE-va}
[name]Jamila[/name] - “beautiful, graceful” [[name]Jamilla[/name]]
[name]Orabella[/name] - “beautiful altar”

I think [name]Alice[/name] [name]Arabella[/name] is gorgeous, myself, but [name]Alice[/name] [name]Calliope[/name] is totally adorable and sophisticated. [name]Alice[/name] [name]Calanthe[/name] is cool, as is [name]Alice[/name] [name]Caoimhe[/name], but you’re setting yourself up for spelling and pronunciation issues with those two - [name]Alice[/name] [name]Arabella[/name] and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Calliope[/name] are sure winners in my book.

As for M names, I actually think many are lovely with Miss [name]Alice[/name]:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Magdalen[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Margaret[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Margaux[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Maria[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Mariam[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Maribel[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Marietta[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Marigold[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Marjorie[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Martha[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Melody[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Morgana[/name]

Now, with many of these you can add [name]Belle[/name] for your “beautiful” meaning. My favorites:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Magdalen[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Maria[/name] [name]Belle[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Mathilda[/name] [name]Belle[/name] [or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Belle[/name]!]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Miranda[/name] [name]Belle[/name]

Best of luck!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

Oh wow! So many great suggestions! I really love some of them.

isisrose:
The meaning isnt a must, just prefered. I love the idea of a name meaning beautiful, because people can be beautiful in so many ways; mind, body, spirit, ect; and i think its jsut a lovely thought to put into our daughters name, but as i said it isnt a absolute must. From your list, i like alot however, unfortunatly in my family, there are ALOT of southern people, with southern accents (thick down home southern accents, no hubby and myself but almost all extended family), so most names that are hard to pronounce i would prefere to not use. I feel like my entire family would butcher her name, and it would drive me crazy and i know it would her as well (we often all speak in terms of first and middle, not just first, so this is why i say that) because for me i grew up with a very easy to pronounce last name, that nobody could pronounce and it would drive me up the wall. So most names (such as Aofie, [name]Caoimhe[/name], and Eirdian) are off limits. From your list i really like:

[name]Alice[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] [name]Luna[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (love!)
and [name]Alice[/name] [name]Violet[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]

ljandrl:
I also thought about [name]Belle[/name], i think its beautiful and its an easy to pronounce french name (which is a plus for me!), i just worry that aLice e[name]Lizabeth[/name] beLLe, is way to ‘L’ heavy. Also i am not to fond on [name]Mirabelle[/name], [name]Mirabella[/name], ect; and I agree its to much next to [name]Elizabeth[/name], which i would really like to use. [name]Elizabeth[/name] is my mother middle name, and i know it would mean the world to her if i gave my daughter her name. So its something that is important to me. An dunfortunatly as i mentioned above, i have alot of southern family who are…blunt, and deffinatly not name experts. So they would see [name]Elspeth[/name] (with is beautiful) and think it was made up and probably ask why i couldnt just use [name]Elizabeth[/name].

[name]Lemon[/name]:
Yes, [name]Alice[/name] is tough to match with! Especially when paired with another vowel name, it makes it harder to get a good flow.

I am not a huge fan of [name]Arabella[/name], is is not my particular style. I like [name]Calliope[/name], however i can hear hubbys reaction to it, ‘Like Cantalope? You want to name our daughter after a fruit you dont like?’. I am though, a sucker for greek names (such as [name]Calista[/name], i just cannot figure out what is off with it to me, it doesnt sound full? for some reason). I have been looking and found these greek names that i like, wdyt?
” Calithea “Beautiful goddess”
” [name]Calla[/name] “The most beautiful”
” [name]Callia[/name] “Beautiful voice”
” Calligenia “[name]Born[/name] of beauty” (though this one would be totally butchered by everyone in my family)

Out of all of your M combos, i really like
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] (I love this combo sooo much)
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Meredith[/name]
[name]Alice[/name] [name]Miranda[/name]

And of course my absolute favorite is [name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Belle[/name], it is so beautiful! [name]Matilda[/name] is another one of my favorite names, however hubby nixed it as a first name :frowning: so hopefully i can get him to agree to [name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Belle[/name], or [name]Alice[/name] [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name] (does this flow?).

Thanks so much everyone! I have alot im deffinatly going to run by my husband!