Alighted upon a name that makes my heart sing, with ONE HUGE FLAW!

I could cry. Thanks to the new Pottery [name]Barn[/name] Kids catalogue I received yesterday, I have fallen maddeningly in love with [name]Clara[/name] Nightingale. The one terrible flaw I didn’t notice at first through my swooning? It shares the exact same initials with my son. I was willing to overlook reusing one initial, but using the exact ones, in the same order, as another child? sigh Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

No biggie, I say. My father and his two brother all have the exact same initials (by design.) And while I wouldn’t actively give my children the name initials, I don’t see an issue at all. :slight_smile: Good luck!

The ony time that could be an issue is with monogramming. However, since they aren’t the same sex, I don’t see the problem at all.

I don’t really see this is an issue at all. Initials are mostly used for school or work related stuff (signing for things, usernames, etc.), so it’s not like you’re ever going to refer to your children by their initials. If you wanted to get monogrammed gifts for your kids, just make sure to get everyone a different color (for stuff like towels, stationery, etc).

Oh dear. I can see that is a bit of an issue. I’m sorry that you fell in love with a name only to have that derail you! [name]Clara[/name] Nightingale is very pretty, but I’m sure something else can make your heart sing as well.
What did you like about [name]Clara[/name]? I see it as a name with vintage charm.
Other charmingly vintage names:
[name]Beatrice[/name] (though it’s becoming hip again)
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Dorothea[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name]/[name]Lucy[/name] (this is getting popular too)
[name]Frances[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Eve[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name]
[name]Helene[/name]
[name]Maude[/name]
[name]Mabel[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Olive[/name]
[name]Pheobe[/name]
[name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name]
[name]Victoria[/name]
[name]Winifred[/name]

It may not be that big of a deal, but I hope that helps! Lots of luck!

• [name]Athena[/name]

I don’t really think it will matter in the long run, unless you start naming all your children with the same initials ;]
There was someone in my family who named her kids using the same exact letters! (aidan, diana) so really,using the same initials isn’t all that bad.

i think that its cute that they would have the same initials. my sis in law just had a baby a couple days ago and her son (3.5) and new
baby girl have the same initials. Same order and everything!!

I definately think it is a non-issue…If you love the name, go for it!

My main concern is that my daughter, [name]Annabel[/name] [name]Hope[/name], would be the odd-man out. [name]Caleb[/name] [name]Nicholas[/name], [name]Annabel[/name], [name]Hope[/name], and [name]Clara[/name] Nightingale?

I don’t think it’s an issue at all. My brother and I have the same first initial, and it wasn’t to be matchy, and no one has ever said anything about it at all.

I don’t see it as an issue either. I have two sisters–oldest sister’s initials are LLM. Middle sister’s initials are [name]LEM[/name]. I’m the youngest–my initials are also LLM. It never bothered any of us. :slight_smile:

My youngest sister and I have the same initials. Our other sister has completely different initials. It was never an issue. It was never even brought up.

Really, it doesn’t matter. Choose the name you love. You don’t want regrets. [name]How[/name] often do you see this being an issue or an annoyance?? Not very often at all if you ask me.

[name]Clara[/name] Nightingale is gorgeous.

Definitely a non- issue. I am hoping to give my kids if I have more than one, the same initials. However it’s all about loving the names first and foremost.

Matching initials is no big thing. I’d go ahead and use it.

Lol when I read this, I figured your issue would be that [name]Clara[/name] Nightingale is two famous nurses…[name]Clara[/name] [name]Barton[/name] and [name]Florence[/name] Nightingale…

I don’t think this will be an issue. I can see why the concern and not wanting [name]Annabel[/name] to feel left out, but I think if you explain to your children (when they are old enough to understand of course), that you put a lot of time and thought into choosing each one of their names and each was chosen because you truly loved the names, I think they will understand. Also it’s likely that [name]Clara[/name] would one day take a husbands last name and they would no longer have the exact same initials! Your children all have beautiful names ([name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Annabel[/name] are both names I have seriously considered for my own children) and I think [name]Clara[/name] fits perfectly with them. I would use it for sure. And if you plan to have a fourth you could always give him/her the [name]AH[/name] initials so [name]Annabel[/name] has an initial twin too!

[name]Clara[/name] Nightingale is absolutely stunning! And [name]Clara[/name], [name]Annabel[/name] and [name]Caleb[/name] is a fantastic sibset. I really wouldn’t let the intials thing bother you, I can’t imagine that anyone would ever notice.

I don’t really think it’s an issue. My brother and I grew up with the same initials (on purpose- J for our mom [name]Jan[/name] and M for our dad [name]Mike[/name]) and most people didn’t really care. If you’re worried about [name]Annabel[/name] feeling left out (if she’s old enough to really notice) then, as a pp suggested, explain that all of the names were chosen with love. For the most part people don’t use middle names often enough to notice. [name]Just[/name] don’t use CN again if you have more kids (or even a C first name if you want to be really careful).

Lol, I thought the same thing.

Matching initials aren’t so bad, and I don’t think [name]Annabel[/name] will feel left out if you explain that you chose names you love, and [name]Caleb[/name] and [name]Clara[/name]'s matching initials were a coincidence, not an intentional theme. If you ever have a fourth, though, I would eliminate all C and N names from the start.