All about Scout

Thoughts? Opinions? Is it wearable? [name_f]Do[/name_f] you know someone called [name_u]Scout[/name_u]? Any associations beside the obvious? I have heard of [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u], do you have other ideas for a full name for [name_u]Scout[/name_u]?

One of my close friends (I consider her a cousin) was almost named [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and I was thinking using it might be a cool way to honor her. I do use word honors in the middle usually, so maybe I could use [name_u]Scout[/name_u] in the middle?

Any other comments, criticism or thought in [name_u]Scout[/name_u]??

I think it is cute, but I do prefer it as a nickname. I just donā€™t know if I could picture it on a 40 year old woman. I like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] ā€œ[name_u]Scout[/name_u]ā€ a lot though!

I know a little girl named [name_u]Scout[/name_u]! She is very sweet and adorable. She was named after the character in To Kill a Mockingbird. (She has blonde hair and blue eyes btw.) I have only positive associations with this name!

1 Like

What interesting to me is she was born in the 90s so back then it would have been even stranger as a first. I do like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u] but I dont like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] enough to use it

Pretty sure one of [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Willis[/name_m] and [name_f]Demi[/name_f] [name_m]Moore[/name_m]ā€™s daughters is called [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. I think itā€™s a great name, so spunky and full of character, although I do think it might be a good idea to put something a little more ā€˜seriousā€™ on the birth certificate so she has options later in life. I really think her full name could be entirely unrelated to [name_u]Scout[/name_u] - after all, that was the case with the most well-known [name_u]Scout[/name_u]

1 Like

I love the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. I wouldnā€™t use the name for linguistic/cultural reasons, but in terms of [name_f]English[/name_f]-language names I LOVE [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. It is fun and spunky but mature enough to age well. I wouldnā€™t use it as a nickname for anything - I think it is weighty enough to stand alone. I donā€™t know any Scouts, and I work in education so I am usually relatively up-to-date on names (admittedly a decade behind, given my age group, but still)

I also love [name_u]Story[/name_u], which I think has a similar but even more eclectic vibe if you are interestedā€¦

I love [name_u]Scout[/name_u]- literary, vintage and fresh feeling all at once

1 Like

I really like it!

Itā€™s one of those odd names that I donā€™t actually love the sound of, objectively, but the feel it has is so sweet and lively and headstrong that I love the name regardless.

I donā€™t know any, but Iā€™m in the UK where I think itā€™s considerably more unusual than in the US. Iā€™d be delighted to meet one, of any age.

I wouldnā€™t use a full form, as I donā€™t think any are particularly intuitive. [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is probably the closest youā€™ll get, but I much prefer [name_u]Scout[/name_u] :green_heart:

3 Likes

I JUST finished reading To Kill A Mockingbird last night. I think I have a new appreciation for the name now. Iā€™ve always sort of liked it for a girl since itā€™s not overly feminine, it has sort of a tomboy feel. Personally, I wouldnā€™t use it as a first name, but it would make a nice middle, maybe with a slightly more feminine first name.

I quite like it. [name_f]My[/name_f] association is the book, [name_m]Bruce[/name_m] [name_m]Willis[/name_m] and [name_f]Demi[/name_f] [name_m]Moore[/name_m] daughter, and an adorable redhead girl named [name_u]Scout[/name_u] that I have seen on insta.

[name_f]My[/name_f] daughter is [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and we absolutely love it. I initially wanted to go with [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u] but DH hates people not going by their actual name so ended up just going with [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and Iā€™m super glad we did.

Weā€™ve gotten a TON of positive comments about it and it suits her incredibly well. I was also concerned about how it would age but honestly itā€™s no less mature than all the [name_f]Kinsley[/name_f], [name_u]Genesis[/name_u], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], etc names that are so popular now so I donā€™t think it will ever be an issue.

4 Likes

I really like [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. I think itā€™s spunky and sweet, but it does register as somewhat childish. There was a girl who lived on my hall freshman year of college named [name_u]Scout[/name_u] so it obviously can be carried into adulthood but I never met her (only saw her name on a tag on her door and swooned).

If you canā€™t see [name_u]Scout[/name_u] as a first name, I think itā€™s fantastic as a middle.

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] there.

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] is darling. Itā€™s spunky, sporty & just reminds me of a clever well to do girl scout. Which is nice! I donā€™t know any, but I know of one. A friend of a friendā€™s seven year old daughter. I definitely have the [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_u]Finch[/name_u] association, & sheā€™s a very endearing character.

I think that [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is okay on its own, but I really like [name_f]Susanna[/name_f] nn [name_u]Scout[/name_u].

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I love the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u] so much! Iā€™ve heard a lot of people find it too cutesy on an adult, but I donā€™t agree at all. I can easily picture it on a lawyer, artist, businesswoman, really anyone. I think of the dancer [name_u]Scout[/name_u] Forsythe, [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_u]Finch[/name_u], [name_u]Scout[/name_u] [name_m]Willis[/name_m], and there was also a minor character in the show Dance Academy named [name_u]Scout[/name_u] (also a dancer). Iā€™ve seen [name_f]Susannah[/name_f] as a full name if youā€™d want a longer form, but I really donā€™t think it needs one.

We have a scout who is nearly 18months! We love her name!
She was nearly [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] nn scout but I didnā€™t think anyone but us would use ā€œscoutā€ and [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f] is about too popular around my area for my liking!

I love the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and would consider using it as a middle if I have another daughter. I love the spunky, strong vibe of it! know of a teenager named [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and really believe that names grow with people. Plus, with the extreme variety of names being used for children these days, I really donā€™t imagine [name_u]Scout[/name_u] will seem that outrageous on someone whoā€™s an adult in twenty/thirty years.

[name_u]Scout[/name_u] is a nice enough name, although Iā€™ve never understood the love of it myself, I think for me Iā€™d prefer it as a nickname to something like [name_f]Scarlett[/name_f].
But in saying that, itā€™s a cute and spunky name and thereā€™s no reason at all why it wouldnā€™t work

@LoneStar thank you for the real life feedback! In my family nicknames are interchangeable with first names, I can be [name_f]Amber[/name_f], Amberley and Bam all within the same sentence lol but I really appreciate the feedback on [name_u]Scout[/name_u] as a given name and I think you are right, with names like [name_f]Lola[/name_f] and [name_f]Sadie[/name_f] being so common now [name_u]Scout[/name_u] wont age badly in comparison

[name_f]My[/name_f] association with [name_u]Scout[/name_u] is always the character from To Kill a Mockingbird whose name is actually [name_u]Jean[/name_u] [name_u]Louise[/name_u]. So, even itā€™s original intent was as a nickname. It has become more popular recently but Iā€™ve met multiple dogs named [name_u]Scout[/name_u] and there is apparently a popular baby toy, a dog called [name_u]Scout[/name_u]. This all brings me back to my main point. I love the name [name_u]Scout[/name_u] because I love the character. In fact, I loved it so much, I named my cat [name_u]Scout[/name_u].