All our boy names have been rejected! Help!

We are expecting #2 this year, I posted earlier with a list of boy and girl names. We like to get the name narrowed down and then wait to meet our little addition before finally deciding.

I think we are set on girls (big brother will be [name]Kellen[/name]):
[name]Teagan[/name], [name]Mae[/name] or Niyan

Our boys list was:
[name]Brighton[/name], [name]Soren[/name], [name]Tobin[/name]

We’ve mentioned these to a few of our close friends and family and all have completely disliked all our boys names. Especially [name]Brighton[/name], our favorite. Now, we don’t need/want everyone’s approval but we don’t want “weird” names which is what they were saying. We don’t want the most popular but we don’t want people to think our names are bizarre or that we are trying to hard either. Somewhere in the middle, where people will recognize the name but they will not be the third or fourth in their school classes with the same name.

So, I need some help with ideas for boys. We have a very common Scottish last name, proud of our Scottish heritage and big brother will be [name]Kellen[/name] if that helps!

Thanks in advance!!

[name]Kellen[/name] is a great name and I love [name]Teagan[/name] or [name]Mae[/name] for his little sister:) Some suggestions:

[name]Adair[/name]
[name]Alastair[/name]
[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Argyle[/name]
[name]Bowie[/name] - Maybe too tied to [name]David[/name]…
[name]Boyd[/name]
[name]Dashiell[/name]
[name]Dougal[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Evander[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Fergus[/name]
[name]Forbes[/name]
[name]Fraser[/name]
[name]Graeme[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Hamish[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name] - Maybe too close in sound to [name]Kellen[/name]…
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Macaulay[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Mingus[/name]
[name]Monroe[/name]
[name]Mungo[/name]
[name]Murray[/name]
[name]Ronson[/name]
[name]Stewart[/name]

Are any of those for you? Good [name]Luck[/name]:slight_smile:

• [name]Charlie[/name]

I’ll * my favorites

[name]Alaric[/name]*
[name]Amos[/name]
[name]August[/name]
Braddock
[name]Brom[/name]
[name]Conrad[/name]
[name]Cormac[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]*
[name]Ford[/name]*
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Kirby[/name]
[name]Madigan[/name]
[name]Malone[/name]
[name]Marek[/name]/Merrick*- I love this one with [name]Kellen[/name]
[name]Patrin[/name]*
[name]Oren[/name]
[name]Simon[/name]
[name]Sully[/name]*
[name]Wallace[/name]*

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Thanks for the suggestions! Went through some with DH – here’s the ones we both liked:

[name]Angus[/name]
[name]Duncan[/name]
[name]Ewan[/name]
[name]Graeme[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]

Here’s some I found when searching last night, any opinions? Any other ideas?

[name]Keiran[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]
[name]Tristan[/name]
[name]Quillan[/name]*
[name]Sutton[/name]*
[name]Arden[/name]*
*DH vetoed

[name]Angus[/name] - this is a type of cow, just so you know.
[name]Duncan[/name] - I don’t know why, but I have never liked this, but just me!
[name]Ewan[/name] - hmmm… has an odd sound, your others are better
[name]Graeme[/name]
[name]Grant[/name] - great
[name]Lennox[/name]
[name]Graham[/name] - I like a lot
[name]Heath[/name] - I like a lot, especially with [name]Kellen[/name]
[name]Oren[/name] - like, but has same -en ending as [name]Kellen[/name]

Here’s some I found when searching last night, any opinions? Any other ideas?

[name]Keiran[/name] - similar to a lot of girl names [name]IMO[/name]
[name]Orion[/name] - love! If we have another son he will probably be [name]Orion[/name].
[name]Tristan[/name] - ok, sounds a little soft next to [name]Kellen[/name]
[name]Quillan[/name]*
[name]Sutton[/name]*
[name]Arden[/name]* - ok.
*DH vetoed - I agree with all his vetoes.

I also like [name]Soren[/name] from your first list and I don’t think it is all that odd. Good [name]Luck[/name]!

[name]Brighton[/name] is a town close to were I live so I have a hard time seeing it as a name. I love [name]Soren[/name] though. [name]Tobin[/name] works well with [name]Kellen[/name] too imo.

Others you might like:
[name]Alaric[/name]
[name]Griffin[/name]
[name]Quinton[/name]
[name]Nolan[/name]
[name]Ronan[/name]
[name]Marek[/name]
[name]Callum[/name]
[name]Alec[/name]
[name]Colman[/name]
[name]Declan[/name]
[name]Finley[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Gregor[/name]
[name]Quinlan[/name]
[name]Tiernan[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Malcolm[/name]
[name]Rhys[/name]
[name]Sullivan[/name]

HTH

[name]Soren[/name] is the name of the main owl in the Guardians of Ga’Hoole young readers series. It’s also going to be a movie in theaters sometime this year. So, it will be more recognizable soon. I do know a high schooler with the name who was in elementary when the series came out and was just thrilled to see his name there.

I love [name]Tobin[/name] and [name]Mae[/name].

If you love [name]Brighton[/name], use it. There’s absolutely nothing unattractive or offensive about it. It’s a lovely name and your family will get used to it.

I’m having this same issue with my family not liking some of my favorites, which aren’t even particularly offbeat. Typically I like to take polls, figure out which is the most beloved of a small list of name choices, but you know what? Nobody everybody likes every name. In fact, the prevailing taste is often really questionable. Go with your gut!

I like [name]Tobin[/name]. Along those lines, what about [name]Corbin[/name]? It has that [name]Collin[/name] feel without being as popular and it has the same sound as [name]Tobin[/name]. It might just be too similar to [name]Kellan[/name].
[name]Braxton[/name] is a name that seems similar to [name]Brighton[/name] while it is a bit more mainstream. [name]Brogan[/name] is another similar option.
Some scottish names that end in the -in, -en, -an that you seem to be drawn to are: [name]Duncan[/name], [name]Lachlan[/name], [name]Cameron[/name], [name]Ian[/name]
Whatever name you choose, your friends and family will associate your baby with that name and they will grow to love it. What is most important is how you, as parents, feel the name represents your child. Good luck!

[name]Don[/name]'t be afraid of using a “weird” name - my daughter has an unusual name and most of my friends disliked it when they heard it, but now that she’s older it’s just her name we’re all used to it and it doesn’t matter that some people used to dislike it.

Names I think would be a great fit :slight_smile:

[name]Ewan[/name]/[name]Euan[/name] (pn YOO-un)
[name]Rafferty[/name] (in love with the name all of a sudden)
[name]Rowan[/name]/[name]Rohan[/name]/[name]Ronan[/name]/[name]Roan[/name]
[name]Cian[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Liam[/name]
[name]Torin[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Geoffrey[/name]

By the way, apparently I love European sounding names and my mother isn’t crazy about the names I like, but she has been very positive about the name not changing her feelings toward the baby, and says to pick what I think is best. So if you and your hubby really love [name]Brighton[/name], use it.

PS I like [name]Keiran[/name] and [name]Lennox[/name] too

[name]Angus[/name]- like! but if your last name sounds very Scottish, then it may be a little much and sound theme-y
[name]Duncan[/name]- I’ve never been too fond of this one, not bad though
[name]Ewan[/name]- like!
[name]Graeme[/name]- love! I usually prefer [name]Graham[/name] spelling, but I think [name]Graeme[/name] goes really well with [name]Kellen[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]- a bit abrupt-sounding to me, but nice
[name]Lennox[/name]- like
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Heath[/name]- really like
[name]Oren[/name]- love! [name]Oran[/name] (the Irish spelling, I think) is on my list

[name]Keiran[/name]- I think this is too similar to [name]Kellen[/name]
[name]Orion[/name]- like… [name]Oran[/name] sounds similar but more down-to-earth, I think
[name]Tristan[/name]- nice name, but it’s always sounded a little feminine to me

I also really love [name]Soren[/name] from your original list! But I think my favorite with [name]Kellen[/name] is [name]Graeme[/name], followed by [name]Heath[/name], [name]Soren[/name], and [name]Oren[/name]/[name]Oran[/name]. Good luck!

Dear mommyof2,

First off you will NEVER make all your friends and family happy so really go for the name you like the most. I am not going to comment on the names your hubby doesnt like as i think you should use one you both like since there are many and they are really nice names. As a whole the names on your list are lovely, some go better with [name]Kellan[/name] than other.

[name]Angus[/name]- have always loved this name but doesnt sound so good w kellan
[name]Duncan[/name]- ok name but get donuts when i see this name
[name]Ewan[/name]- nice
[name]Graeme[/name]- ok
[name]Grant[/name]- nice with [name]Kellan[/name]
[name]Lennox[/name]- like it also nice w kellan
[name]Graham[/name]- ditto
[name]Heath[/name]- [name]LOVE[/name]
[name]Oren[/name]- ok
[name]Keiran[/name]- like it but it may but u in a situation where you have to use K for all your kids
[name]Orion[/name]- cute
[name]Tristan[/name]- cute also soft like kellan

the best with [name]Kellan[/name] are [name]Tristan[/name], [name]Heath[/name] and [name]Lennox[/name] (w no nn)!

my 2 year old son is kellen and our 4 month old daughter is maya (yes, i know very popular, but a name we have loved for years!).

i think it’s boy names you are struggling with -= what about torsten?

Thanks everyone for all the ideas and advice!

Honestly, with [name]Kellen[/name] we didn’t tell ANYONE until after he was born what names we were considering. We should have just done that this time too!

I guess I feel like I want to [name]LOVE[/name] this name as much as we loved [name]Kellen[/name]'s name before he was born. It was THE ONE! I feel like any of our girls names would be perfect but I haven’t had that feeling with the boys names yet. DH thinks it must be a sign that we are having a girl. Chances are this will be our last one so I would be okay with a sister for our son.

Ultimately, hopefully we’ll find the name that is just “RIGHT” and it really won’t matter what anyone thinks! Some of our family had issues with [name]Kellen[/name] at first but now it just fits him so well they all love it.

Thank you again for all the help!

I am a big [name]Toby[/name] lover, I would not even bother with [name]Tobin[/name] as I love [name]Toby[/name] just on its own.

other ideas

[name]Miles[/name]
[name]Grant[/name]
[name]Lachlan[/name]
[name]Archer[/name]
[name]Alister[/name]
[name]Quentin[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Spencer[/name]
[name]Byron[/name]
[name]Rory[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name]

PS When you want to name your child [name]Jaguar[/name] that is when you are becoming way out, all these other names have been used and loved by people for centuries.

PS [name]Angus[/name] is nice too.

I think we are set on girls (big brother will be [name]Kellen[/name]):
[name]Teagan[/name], [name]Mae[/name] or Niyan

Our boys list was:
[name]Brighton[/name], [name]Soren[/name], [name]Tobin[/name]

We’ve mentioned these to a few of our close friends and family and all have completely disliked all our boys names. Especially [name]Brighton[/name], our favorite. Now, we don’t need/want everyone’s approval but we don’t want “weird” names which is what they were saying.

[name]Teagan[/name], [name]Mae[/name], [name]Soren[/name] and [name]Tobin[/name] are familiar. If I think about it, I’ve met several Sorens online, but never in real life. So the name is familiar to me, but most aren’t in [name]North[/name] [name]America[/name]. Niyan I’ve never seen. [name]Brighton[/name], can’t be sure if I’ve seen this, but if I did, it was on a girl. Place names most often are.

I wouldn’t use [name]Brighton[/name] unless you have a personal connection to the place. Otherwise it seems kind of weird to use the name of a city you might not have even ever been to.